One simple setup...

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

One simple setup...

Post by Brand X »

I know most people prefer a ohmic sensor for setting the cut height, but I never really had a problem using a spring to control the weight of the torch.. I changed to a longer spring when I changed out my rail for my floating head just last week.. it works better then ever, and very thin metal has no issues now.. Of course you can fine tune it as needed.. Right now my Victor torch weighs about 9 oz, and it stable in use.. Rusty metal and .035 steel is perfect.. The Z is super smooth in action, with this wide rail guide..

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: One simple setup...

Post by motoguy »

Thanks for the info, and for sharing your setups. I'm going to be cutting a mount for my scribe today, which is based on your floating design.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I have not used my Scribe for awhile.. Being a Dotco marker, it really likes very light weight pressure on the tip..It's a oil-less tool, and I find that a great option too.. You can adjust down force with added weight, or spring pressures to go either way..Depending on the air tool you use..I just think it very forgiving, over the the other ways to do things. You can always lock the slide solid ,if you like Milling your parts.(Versatile) Guess there is many ways to arrive at sort of the same point, and I find that in Plasma cutters too.:)

I run the air valve on the air slide wide open. I have not found any need to adjust those valves. Also really once you set the timing in SheetCam no need to get into all those timing issues at every turn..It's all there if you need them..

PS, a real mini die grinder fits into the plasma torch holder I used for the scribe. That will allow for some different markings, with many options on bits. You will also find the larger air tools are way more forgiving in setup of the air for turning on every single time..I tested mine with cheap HF model, and it worked very well. Just so you know, that the $200.00 + air scribe is not necessary to mark metal..
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Good setup there!
My linear bearings on the velox z axis are not smooth enough to go too light, I get premature switching :)
Have you done much with die grinder bit for marking? sounds a good method, I keep wondering about it.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Just a little, broke my bit somehow when off the machine, and just lately replaced it with one I had.. Have not got back to running it yet.. It will dig into stainless pretty good,(or not) if you need more depth. Many options on .250 bits (E-bay)

My Z came with my machine, and really was a piece of work. I used a screw out of some old NSK setup, and low, and behold a really nice Z now.. I bent up some 3/8 plate, and made the mount.. Had to weld up the crack in the Aluminum, by bending it with my .250 die in my metal muncher.. Just grooved it out, and welded it up. All Rube Goldberg, but dang it's better them most of them..(now) 23 nema mount on the Screw. Just ditched the motor, and cut it to fit my slide. I still need to turn the bottom of the screw to capture a bottom bearing, but more ego then performance at this point.. Have a extra to send out, if I ever feel the need..

I could shorten the whole thing up, but love having the bug O lite holder for bevel, sq stock. Still will cut 10 ft if needed, and it does not seem to move /shake when cutting.Just a different torch holder would make that happen..

I did add a spring to hold up the air slide when the air is cut off. That's what the bungee cord is doing.. If the Air is turned on, the slide is in the retracted position.

Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Sean,
I think one of these would be a great unit.. Nitto's are big money, but can be found cheap if you look hard enough..56,000 rpm has me thinking wow...

http://www.emaxaction.com/nittokohkial-55.aspx
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Created a mount for my Dotco scribe today. Cut 1/4" AL tab to fit in my Bulltear Z axis accessory pocket, machined up a little clamp to hold the scribe to the secondary slider (broke a bit on the 4th hole...so just left it, and mount has 3 holes. :), machined down some rifle scope mounts to use as travel blocks, put it all together...and the f*(#*%g Dotco scribe won't activate. Took it all apart, and it seems that the piston is dragging/binding in the cylinder. I purchased this from eBay used, several months ago. It wouldn't activate when I first tried it, but after putting some oil in the line and playing with it a bit, it started working...I chalked the initial binding up to "been sitting on a shelf too long somewhere". I guess not. Only other thing I can think of is that my mount somehow crushed the cylinder, but I don't really see that happening.

The plan is to weld the AL tube to the mounting ear to keep it solid/fixed. I'd also like to add a similar setup on the other side, to replace my ghetto-rific (but perfectly funcational!) pen mount. I'll add a small bracket on the tube, and tap a hole in the slide, so I can use a spring to hold the scribe up when it's not being used. Or, just unmount it...I guess it depends on how often I use it. I'd like to keep it mounted, so I can just set the scribe offset and be finished.

So, now I'm trying to decide if I want to round up replacement parts, order another from eBay, or just use an electric one like Ogre, and be done with it...
20170121_220025_1485057811503_resized.jpg
20170121_220032_1485057813078_resized.jpg
20170121_220116_1485057818045_resized.jpg

SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Brand X wrote:Sean,
I think one of these would be a great unit.. Nitto's are big money, but can be found cheap if you look hard enough..56,000 rpm has me thinking wow...

Something to think about, thanks, they might remind me too much of the dentist that's the only problem :P
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

SeanP wrote:
Brand X wrote:Sean,

Something to think about, thanks, they might remind me too much of the dentist that's the only problem :P
Funny,
I was looking at those tools too..Just not sure of the bits you put in them?..So the small high RPM die grinders like the Nitto, seems the best bet..
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Since the Dotco appeared to have crapped out, I followed Ogre's lead, and picked up an electric engraver at Lowes yesterday. Whipped up a mount for it, and fired it up today. Only did a couple of test scribes, but it seems to work well. I'll need to adjust stroke length and travel speed to get the depth i want.

Oh...guess what decided to start working as SOON as I got the electric scribe hooked up and tested? I noticed the Dotco is much more rigid (tip doesn't move axially), but I have a feeling the air scribe will be more finicky. I think I'm just going to stay with the electric for now. Any reason why I shouldn't?
20170123_181017_1485220145264_resized.jpg
20170123_181021_1485220139147_resized.jpg
20170123_181033_1485220137662_resized.jpg
20170123_181046_1485220136151_resized.jpg

Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Use what works for you.. get some time with it, and upgrade down the road.. I love my Dotco, so I think you just got a bunk one.. I am going to go with the mini die grinder like the Nitto. Probably a knock off,just to see if that's all I need.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Brand X wrote:Use what works for you.. get some time with it, and upgrade down the road.. I love my Dotco, so I think you just got a bunk one.. I am going to go with the mini die grinder like the Nitto. Probably a knock off,just to see if that's all I need.
It decided to work again. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it, etc. I'll probably hook it up, just to see the difference between the two. If it weren't for the rigidity of the Dotco tip, and the wobble in the Dremel tip, I might not even do that. We'll see if it actually becomes an issue.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”