An Idea to help sell your art...........

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
PlasmaDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

An Idea to help sell your art...........

Post by PlasmaDesigns »

This was a request from one of my retailers to better display the product instead of having it scattered throughout the store. Works well and this is my 5th year of servicing the cabinet. Extra inventory is stored inside the cube. I hope this helps someone out there.....John
display4.jpg
display3.jpg
display2.jpg
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: An Idea to help sell your art...........

Post by Craig »

Good idea John. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Copp3r »

I can't seem to get any stores to buy my work. mI'm curious how are you determing your prices? By square foot? By inches cut? Etc.
THX

Copp3r
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

Have you made enough to justify the cost of the display ? Obivously, you have to sell to the store at wholesale prices so they can make money .
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Am I correct in assuming that the store gives you the space for display and then takes a commision as a percentage of the sale price? Looks like a local ACE Hardware.
Did you build the display or have it built? It is a great idea.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
PlasmaDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDesigns »

I am sorry it's taken so long to write. I have turned a profit on the display but it took 2.5 turns of inventory. Partly due to me paying a cabinet maker instead of building it myself but I am not a wood worker. I have about 20 retail stores that purchase product from me and it's not on consignment. I offer 30, 60, and 90 day terms depending on the size of the establishment. I started by finding the owner / buyer and offer to put in product on a 90 day pay or take deal...Meaning in 90 days I will return and take any and all product unsold no questions asked even if damaged.

Works like a charm and thus far I have never had to take a single item back. It also helps me generate other custom items because I allow the retailer to offer "your name here" items. I let the store owner take the order and basically split it 50 / 50 with them......

Pricing, most of my product is cut from 12 or 11Ga, with the exception of the SC Gamecocks which are cut from 14 due to the forming that's done. So, here's a catch.................Once I came to the point where I couldn't keep up with specific items I started outsourcing to laser cutters which I have found really like the parts "they call them that" because they can put small pieces in the drop and it's like free money on those pieces. There is a price tag, I normally purchase 100 to 150 pcs. of each item and then store them raw until the order is filled for certain colors. That is not true for the basic black designs I have them all done at once. From what I have found they can cut them for less than what I could even buy the material.....It does require an investment they need volume not 1 here 1 there. I also invested in software that allows me to create a CAD file that works with their CNC lasers.......Typically I can sell most items wholesale for around 20.00 a square foot with the exception of items with little to no detail.

I welcome any other question I am always willing to help.

John
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

Where do you get your boxes to package the stock in? One of my problems has been storage and boxes would be a workable solution.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

ULINE has anything you would need . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
d2day
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by d2day »

Looks like a great idea...I appreciate the work you did and sharing the concept.
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

CNCCAJUN wrote:ULINE has anything you would need . . .

Steve
Steve,
I've tried to make myself buy from them a couple of times now and the boxes I need are about $2.50 each and then require almost $3 each in shipping. I guess I'll have to keep buying local fro now. The shipping cost hurts my feelings and I don't ship pieces often enough to invest $120 in 20 boxes.
Thanks,
Byron
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Check around locally you may find places to buy of get boxes free. I have used Priority mail boxes to ship parts I have cut they are free at the post office. You haul sells boxes too (price is high) but they may have the size you want and you can buy them one at a time. If you have a Graingers locally they sell boxes of different sizes here is the web site to pick what size you want and get a cost per box. They can get stuff overnight for local pickup no extra cost.
http://www.grainger.com/category/shippi ... alog/N-lnu
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

PlasmaDesigns wrote:I am sorry it's taken so long to write. I have turned a profit on the display but it took 2.5 turns of inventory. Partly due to me paying a cabinet maker instead of building it myself but I am not a wood worker. I have about 20 retail stores that purchase product from me and it's not on consignment. I offer 30, 60, and 90 day terms depending on the size of the establishment. I started by finding the owner / buyer and offer to put in product on a 90 day pay or take deal...Meaning in 90 days I will return and take any and all product unsold no questions asked even if damaged.

Works like a charm and thus far I have never had to take a single item back. It also helps me generate other custom items because I allow the retailer to offer "your name here" items. I let the store owner take the order and basically split it 50 / 50 with them......

Pricing, most of my product is cut from 12 or 11Ga, with the exception of the SC Gamecocks which are cut from 14 due to the forming that's done. So, here's a catch.................Once I came to the point where I couldn't keep up with specific items I started outsourcing to laser cutters which I have found really like the parts "they call them that" because they can put small pieces in the drop and it's like free money on those pieces. There is a price tag, I normally purchase 100 to 150 pcs. of each item and then store them raw until the order is filled for certain colors. That is not true for the basic black designs I have them all done at once. From what I have found they can cut them for less than what I could even buy the material.....It does require an investment they need volume not 1 here 1 there. I also invested in software that allows me to create a CAD file that works with their CNC lasers.......Typically I can sell most items wholesale for around 20.00 a square foot with the exception of items with little to no detail.

I welcome any other question I am always willing to help.

John
That's good info John, thanks very much.

I consider myself not too bad in the technical side of things but quite lacking in the business / streetsmarts area. It also gives me confidence to walk into a laser cutter shop and not feel like the owner will treat me like his enemy.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”