Lighted Mailbox

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Lighted Mailbox

Post by Thumper »

We were in need of a new mailbox so I built this one with solar lights, might give someone an idea to turn a buck.
Attachments
Mailbox.jpeg
Mailbox.jpeg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
Mailbox 1.jpeg
Mailbox 1.jpeg (111.38 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Lighted Mailbox

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Now that is very creative . . . :D :D :D

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

I haven't promoted them yet but I cant even guestimate at how many people have stopped and asked where I got it, I actually have a newer version Im building now as time permits that this one will be replaced with. I simply used the Hammered paint on it for a quick cheap finish and it actually turned out pretty cool but the new one will be a little more robust in coloring :D Im going to hydro dip the box in a marbled black and white and parts of the framing in a dark gray wood grain to make it really stand out. The hammered black looks good the way it is though,
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

What pieces parts do you use for the lighting?

Local Lowes type stores?

Is it a kit?

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

I built the lighting myself, I'm an led junkie :)
Cracker Red
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Cracker Red »

That looks great!

More info on the solar lighting please!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Ebay has lots of solar lights like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Power-2LE ... 7913&rt=nc
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

I order the led light parts in bulk from different stores, just wherever is the cheapest at the time. I end up with about $25 in a RGBW kit with adapters and remote. The lights can be cut to length so every set up is a little different. Solar panel is just that, a 12 volt mini, costs about $8
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Thumper wrote:I built the lighting myself, I'm an led junkie :)
Nice mailbox, I too am a LED junkie and use them for all my lighting needs. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
ATPPF
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ATPPF »

That is a great idea, I could see them being a big hit. :idea:
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Is there a translucent white plastic inside?

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Is there a translucent white plastic inside?

Steve

I just tack welded a divider plate in the middle and epoxied a piece of lexan to the number plate to keep the critters out.

A little tid bit of usable info for future projects, using white LED's you can make the interior light up any color you want by simply painting the interior whatever color you want it to light up. I've even used high intensity led's and lightly sanded the piece of lexan and airbrushed or lightly painted it giving it a custom washed light look. Simply by playing with LEDs you can come up with cool unique looks. I prefer trying to build odd ball stuff every Tom Dick and Hairy with a cnc table doesn't do.... Separating your work from all the Mass's allows you to charge more making more profit.
I sit and think up new stuff, some work out good and some don't but the ones that do allow me the freedom to build what I want for the most part and not what the dollar shoppers want.. I've got some truly cool items I build and sell that most have never seen or even heard of but I keep those pretty quiet :) I'd suggest using your imagination whether it be with lights or without and separate your self from the guy down the road!! I see time and time again the cnc zombies following the path of everyone else expecting different results... Make your own path that others try and want to follow but keep a step ahead of them!!! I'm not a genius by any means but I know if your building the same stuff as everyone else your never going to step out and try new stuff... My 2 cents worth,
SlagBandit
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SlagBandit »

That is an awesome Idea! Great job.
Torchmate 4x4 Growth Series
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Torchmate 1 5x10
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller 225 MIG
Miller 210 Syncrowave TIG
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Thanks for the info . . . I'm still a newbie . . . the products I am hoping to produce are more on the usable side.

Workshop type of stuff . . . grinder kits, outdoor cooking stuff, stake pullers, . .

I realize you have to find a niche . . . :D

But I really like your Lighted Mailbox Address item . . .
Thumper wrote:
CNCCAJUN wrote:Is there a translucent white plastic inside?

Steve

I just tack welded a divider plate in the middle and epoxied a piece of lexan to the number plate to keep the critters out.

A little tid bit of usable info for future projects, using white LED's you can make the interior light up any color you want by simply painting the interior whatever color you want it to light up. I've even used high intensity led's and lightly sanded the piece of lexan and airbrushed or lightly painted it giving it a custom washed light look. Simply by playing with LEDs you can come up with cool unique looks. I prefer trying to build odd ball stuff every Tom Dick and Hairy with a cnc table doesn't do.... Separating your work from all the Mass's allows you to charge more making more profit.
I sit and think up new stuff, some work out good and some don't but the ones that do allow me the freedom to build what I want for the most part and not what the dollar shoppers want.. I've got some truly cool items I build and sell that most have never seen or even heard of but I keep those pretty quiet :) I'd suggest using your imagination whether it be with lights or without and separate your self from the guy down the road!! I see time and time again the cnc zombies following the path of everyone else expecting different results... Make your own path that others try and want to follow but keep a step ahead of them!!! I'm not a genius by any means but I know if your building the same stuff as everyone else your never going to step out and try new stuff... My 2 cents worth,
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”