Sculpture I did "Shadows of the Deep"

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
visionsfabrication
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Sculpture I did "Shadows of the Deep"

Post by visionsfabrication »

006.jpg
I did this piece while in a welding class last yr. It's my interpretation of a manta ray. It is all steel, no paint. The ray was formed by hand from sheet metal with a planishing hammer. The coral was formed with tubing and plasma cutter and hrs and hrs of this and that for the rest, it took gold metal at skills USA championship last year in TN and 6th in nationals. This was my first attempt at metal sculpting.
007.jpg
Larry's phone 2013-03-30 005.jpg
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Sculpture I did "Shadows of the Deep"

Post by Shane Warnick »

That sir, has a name. It's called badass. If that was your first attempt, and you have not done more, you should have your head examined. You make 3 or 4 of those a year and travel to some big shows (Houston, Dallas,, Austin, San Antonio, whatever the big cities are around you) and I bet you could easily get $3000-$5000 for that, depending on how big it is. I don't know about you, but I could use $15-$20,000 extra dollars in my pocket, especially if it's something you do for fun on the weekends and evenings etc.

Very nice. There is a guy here goes by old sarge, you should check some of his stuff out. He makes and sells a lot at a gallery somewhere I believe. If you are close enough maybe you could get together swap some tricks.

Keep up the good work, you make us mortals jealous. I am about as artistic as a box of crayon shavings.

Shane
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Quit you day job because you have some serious talent. If this is your first I see a long future for you in metal art. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
visionsfabrication
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by visionsfabrication »

thank you Shane, ive always enjoyed drawing over the yrs but had never really tried any metal art to speak of. honestly, i never had time to do so. however, i found myself unemployed and back in school and gave it a shot. ive worked on a few things since nothing elaborate. just starting a new piece now it will be large pair of angle wings that will be backlit i am planning on donating to our church . the piece will be called "GRACE" unless im moved in a different direction i will post pics as it develops. thanks again for the kind words, ive been a little Leary of posting things of this nature as i dont consider myself a artist just a redneck with a few tools and a idea.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Regardless of what you want to consider yourself, you are talented. Don't hesitate to post up your work it's certainly extremely nice. I agree with Craig. Quit your day job. Make more stuff like this and sell it. Get fat and happy doing it :D

There is a guy on you tube named Kevin Caron that is an artist. He does a ton of video's etc but makes his living making sculptures. You should check out his video's, everything from how to put a finish on something to using long pulse to tig with to how to figure out if a sculpture will balance and be stable once it's completed.

He has about a bazillion video's, so he either gets bored really easy, like to hear himself talk, or has figured out how to make a lot of money off of them. Or some of all of the above.

Shane

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”