Entry Gate Help Please

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Entry Gate Help Please

Post by KIDTech »

I hope this is the right place to post this as it is a project. I am looking to start constructing an entry gate and was looking for any advice you all may have. I have no problem with the fabrication and so on of the gate itself but my concern is with things that have come up in your builds that you did not think about first hand. Any help is greatly appreciated and I will be posting pictures as the project develops.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Entry Gate Help Please

Post by KIDTech »

Here is the gate design.
Attachments
Knox_Gate.JPG
Knox_Gate.JPG (42.89 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Charlieboy »

Adjustable Hinges are always a plus
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

Also what materials do you guys use, I am planning on using 2" 1/8" wall square tubing for the exterior frame and 1" square tubing on the inside as well as 1/8" thick sheet for the lettering.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Keep gravity in mind - gates WILL sag through time and that must be addressed in your design.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I prefer when the design or lettering doesn't sit on the posts. Frame them and trim the posts around. More work but I think a nicer look. JMO
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
ou812
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ou812 »

SOMETHING LIKE THIS MAYBE
Attachments
KNOX.jpg
KNOX.DXF
(116.41 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

That is nice as well, I agree that recessing the letters into the gate is a must after reflecting on your posts. I can't say enough about how great this site is.
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Charlieboy »

11 gauge for the hinge tubing and 14 gauge for everything else
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

I work for a custom fence company as my day job. I agree w/ the 14 ga on the perimeter ann 11 ga. on the hinge post. When we build gates we typically put a diagonal brace on any leaf over 6'. 1/8 or 1/4 flat bar on back would work. Also King architectural metals has alot of block style hinges we often use. But adjustable is the best way to go. Just my .02
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I get a lot of my gate stuff from King Architectural (and so does who ever is selling it local to you more than likely) and they are easy to do business with. As far as the adjustable hing deal, you have a cnc plasma table you can make some plates with slots on them that the hinges can weld onto, then you can weld studs etc on either the support pole or hinge post on the gate itself that way you can take up the slack if they sag a little over time. Throw a ratchet strap on it, of a jack under the end, loosen the bolts, adjust, tighten, move along. I am not sure what kind of center latch you are using or if you are using an automated opener etc, but if they are swinging I would leave minimum 1" between them in the middle, be a lot more comfortable with 2". Now if they are sliding back away from each other on a track that is a different deal (and a whole different set of considerations).

I agree with the diagonal brace, however given the nature of the design and the size, coupled with the fact that you have a cnc plasma cutter, I would talk the customer into incorporating something that you can cut and add some shazaam and make it a brace. If you make something out of 10g or 1/4" and used it to fill the bottom outside corners and came almost out to where the letters are you could add some more personalized style to the gates while also adding function, and increase your profit margin at the same time.

Depending on what they pick, and given the size of the gate, you could come up approx 3' on the hinge post and out 3' or so on the bottom rail, and that should transfer the load back to the upright and keep the sagging down to a minimum. Could be something that looks like a decorative gusset (since thats essentially what it is) or it could incorporate wildlife etc. If it has a lot of cutouts in the middle, go with 1/4" as the 10g will want to flex a little more than you will want. Remember, it ain't all about the bass, it's all about the triangles 8-)

Shane
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

Also, just to make it easy on the eyes space ALL the letters equally. Look at the distance between the two center letters and space the others the same. Looks better from a distance that way.

Larry
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

Thanks guys, the information goes a long way.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

I will go ahead and use this thread as my gate build as well. I want to say thank you to everyone for the help and I will try to keep this up as the build progresses. I've attached a design my family has approved for the entry gate to our subdivision. It is just my parents and I that will be living there and we're are all avid outdoorsmen so this fits well. Don't hesitate to throw out suggestions as you see fit.
Attachments
Knowles_Entry_Gate_1.JPG
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
quadboy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by quadboy »

That's awesome, I hope to build one like that.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”