2 things you don't see every day

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

2 things you don't see every day

Post by Shane Warnick »

A real $2 bill
IMG_20150211_153304324.jpg
Oh, and a 6" tree of life. I guess I could buy a laser. Meh. Or not.... :lol:
IMG_20150211_153313903.jpg
I honestly didn't think it would cut this small, but my wife seems to think it looks pretty good.

Shane
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: 2 things you don't see every day

Post by SeanP »

That's good going, nice one.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Russ K
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Russ K »

You are pushing the envelope there Shane! May I inquire the gage of metal, table, cutter, tip and amps and the ipm? Always good to add these things to our broader knowledge! Nice job and thanks for any info...........RK
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Samson 5x10, Powermax 85, cutting at 45 amps with finecut nozzle shielded, 212 IPM, 14 gauge mild steel.

It MIGHT cut it a little smaller, but I would have to soak them in acid to get the dross off. Have to be pretty careful with the flap wheel with these as it is.

Shane
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

Which tree of life dxf did you use to cut this.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

This one:

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... ife#p72774

I bought all FreeDxf's files in a bulk purchase, and I think I remember seeing it in there somewhere too, but I downloaded it off here first if I remember correctly.

Shane
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

Shane Warnick wrote:This one:

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... ife#p72774

I bought all FreeDxf's files in a bulk purchase, and I think I remember seeing it in there somewhere too, but I downloaded it off here first if I remember correctly.

Shane
Thanks. Downloaded it. What settings did you use on your torch. I cut 10 gauge at 12" and had a lot of burn throughs and dropouts. I cut fine cut consumables at 45 amps with machine torch at recommended hypertherm settings. Thinking I might need to tweak my settings.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I cut using book specs for my powermax 85 with machine torch. The only things I have to change, are the speed (I have to go slightly slower with finecut for some reason ) and height. I found that if I cut at book speeds and height I get a lot of places where the cut will skip and not cut all the way though. It happens in the middle of the cut. Not sure if it was the steel or what, as there were areas where it was horrible, then I might cut 3 sheets and not have a problem. I raised height to 0.08 and slowed down to 212 ipm on 14 g, I cut 10g at 76 ipm and cut height of 0.08 . I think I remember reading somewhere on a post Jim Colt made saying something about they were tweaking the charts for finecut but I could be dreaming that. Regardless, I have found those settings give me great cuts with finecut on those two materials.

As far as the burn through at 12", are you cutting from one side straight over to the other, or do you let the torch skip around? My software has a setting to minimize heat, so when it orders the cut paths it moves all over the piece to minimize the amount of heat building up in one area. Not sure if you have that option, or if you could go in and manually reorder the paths to achieve the same effect.

Shane
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

Shane Warnick wrote:I cut using book specs for my powermax 85 with machine torch. The only things I have to change, are the speed (I have to go slightly slower with finecut for some reason ) and height. I found that if I cut at book speeds and height I get a lot of places where the cut will skip and not cut all the way though. It happens in the middle of the cut. Not sure if it was the steel or what, as there were areas where it was horrible, then I might cut 3 sheets and not have a problem. I raised height to 0.08 and slowed down to 212 ipm on 14 g, I cut 10g at 76 ipm and cut height of 0.08 . I think I remember reading somewhere on a post Jim Colt made saying something about they were tweaking the charts for finecut but I could be dreaming that. Regardless, I have found those settings give me great cuts with finecut on those two materials.

As far as the burn through at 12", are you cutting from one side straight over to the other, or do you let the torch skip around? My software has a setting to minimize heat, so when it orders the cut paths it moves all over the piece to minimize the amount of heat building up in one area. Not sure if you have that option, or if you could go in and manually reorder the paths to achieve the same effect.

Shane
Well guess I don't know what I'm doing. Here's a pic of the file I downloaded and about 8-10 hours of editing and this is what I got. This is 10 gauge with fine cut consumable and this is 14 inches in diameter.
Attachments
tmp_17302-20150218_1439061883653929.jpg
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Not sure what system you are using but it doesn't appear that your kerf offset is set correctly as you have larger holes in the trunk and smaller branches and leaves than the piece should have.

Try drawing a ring ( ie one circle inside the other) and cut it, measure the inside and outside and see how much difference there is to drawing and adjust you kerf width by half of this measurement.

Edit:
Actually now that I look at your photo again and see the pierce marks, did you cut the tree out of an existing Blade?

If so did you have it set to outside offset rather than inside offset? If so that will give you a full kerf with offset in the wrong direction.
Murray
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

muzza wrote:Not sure what system you are using but it doesn't appear that your kerf offset is set correctly as you have larger holes in the trunk and smaller branches and leaves than the piece should have.

Try drawing a ring ( ie one circle inside the other) and cut it, measure the inside and outside and see how much difference there is to drawing and adjust you kerf width by half of this measurement.

Edit:
Actually now that I look at your photo again and see the pierce marks, did you cut the tree out of an existing Blade?

If so did you have it set to outside offset rather than inside offset? If so that will give you a full kerf with offset in the wrong direction.
Murray

After I stared at it for a minute, this is exactly what I came up with. It looks to me like your cut path was on the wrong side of the cutouts. If you draw a circle and place the tree of life in it, then group all the paths together, then convert your software (I don't know what you are running) SHOULD see that and cut the inside out of the dropouts, instead of cutting around the outside of them.

If that is the case, and you are cutting out of an existing blade, add the circle, convert, then index on the blade. Then remove the cut path for the circle and let it cut the rest. Or simply stop the machine before it makes the last cut (the circle) and you should be good to go.

Shane

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”