Table clamps

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Table clamps

Post by DXF »

Here are my table clamps that I use with my Plasma Cam table. Use needle nose vise grips to hold them in place. Don't buy the cheapo's from Harbor Freight. They're crap. Grind the top part of the wire cutter off of the pliars to get more reach out of them as shown. Clamp them at a low angle as in the picture so you cutter doesn't hit them. They work great. If something warps up in the middle of the table bend about a .500" 90 degree angle on one end of a piece of .125" rod and clamp it from underneath to the slats if you can get to it thru openings already cut in the metal. I have seen questions on removing slag. I mostly cut 14 gage cold rolled steel. I use an air chipping hammer with a swivel hose connector. Use it a low angle and be carefull when chipping flimsy pieces - it will bend them. They are less than $20. Then I use 50 grit aluminum oxide pads (6") on an orbital sander to clean up both sides. I then use an Electro-file (an electric file used for wood working - about $90) with a half-round needle file (#4261A31 from http://www.mcmastercarr.com - about $12 each - don't buy cheapo's - they won't last) and remove all burrs from the back side of the cuts. The Electro-file has a lot of power. Use it at a slight angle as you only want to clean up the edge of the cut. It's not a toy so watch your fingers cause it'll poke right thru a finger nail. I've done it, OUCH! Then flip the piece over to the front and clean up any burrs there (usually not many if you have your plasma cutter dialed in). Can someone tell me how to post a picture of the DXF drawing? Hope this helps someone. I am new to this site but have found a whole lot of cool designs and good info. My website is http://www.stonemountainart.com Thanks

Dave Hanks
Attachments
Table clamps DXF.dxf
(44.8 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Needle nose vise grips.jpg
Table clamps.jpg
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Table clamps

Post by mdwalker »

Hi Dave, Thanks for the clamping idea. Just wanted to ask if you have ever used an angle grinder with a wire cup brush to remove slag? Not knocking your system but seems time consuming. With the machine properly set up a wire cup brush cleans the slag in one pass, very quick and easy plus it cleans any rust spots from the parts at the same time. Just thought it may be something you might try if you haven't tried it before. Either way use the system that works best for you :P

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
DXF

Post by DXF »

Thanks, I'll try that.

Dave
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

DXF wrote:Thanks, I'll try that.

Dave
Don't forget safety glasses for you and anybody around you. The grinder will throw the wire bristles and slag pretty hard.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
DXF

Post by DXF »

Thanks. I always wear safety glasses and when I use a wire brush wheel I use a face shield because the bristles can fly up under or thru the side of your glasses unless you have side shields on your glasses. Don't want to lose my eyesight!

Dave Hanks

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”