Powder Coat Oven - homemade

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Powder Coat Oven - homemade

Post by Copp3r »

Hey fellas !

I got in to vintage cars about 15 years ago and shipped out all of the various parts for powder coating. Once I up with my own shop, I decided I'd try and make one. Here's the result:
Oven #1.jpg
Oven #1.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Oven #2.jpg
Oven #2.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Oven #3.jpg
Oven #3.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Oven Controller.jpg
Oven Controller.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
I essence, it wasn't really all that hard only taking a day or two to put together. In short, using some of the steel from my plasma cutting stock, I keep the outside shell to the standard 4x8 sheet so I didn't have to cut anything. For the inside I used metal house studs, lined it with fire proof insulation and then cut the interior sheets to fit leaving three openings.
The openings are used for the oven elements; you buy these any old place as all they are, are elements for a household cooking oven. I put one on the left and right side and two stacked against the inside back wall.

I put a window in one side but I'm not really sure I'd bother if I had to do it all over again. I also added a light to the ceiling... to watch the baking process...

I put three or four heavy duty metal hinges on the door and frame (welded them on) and made up two simple bolts to act as latches to hold the door closed while baking.

The oven controller I purchased through: NHA Supply Inc. in Waterford, MI 248-232-6121. Call them and tell them your lay out and what you've set up for elements,etc. and they'll make it up for you. Mine cost me just under $700.

In the long run, if you've got the space in your shop and plan on doing a lot of powder coating, this will save you a TON of money.

+++ One point of interest you might want to note. The bottom plate is FLUSH with the floor. It acts as a means to hold the sides from flaring out / support for the bottom end of the structure ****

I also made up a dolling out of 1" tubing on metal wheel that rolls inside so I can hang various parts from it. So, I apply the poweder coating on the shop floor and then merely wheel the stand inside, close the door and turn up the heat.

Anyway, just a thought.... Felt I'd pass the idea along to the group...

Cheers !!!

Copp3r / roger
Last edited by Copp3r on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rkeytek
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Powder Coat Oven - homemade

Post by rkeytek »

Wow! that's great...I have been wanting to make an oven, but just don't have the room quite yet. Seems simple enough, and looks like a good size for almost any parts...how long does it take to reach 400?
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

rkeytek wrote:Seems simple enough, and looks like a good size for almost any parts...how long does it take to reach 400?
Only another 399 years :lol: :lol: :lol:
akpilot
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by akpilot »

Very nice!!! You may want to consider a recirculation fan to keep the temp little more even.(just a thought) I built one last year, a propane fired one it works great. It's a blast doing your own powder coating..
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

Looks great ! Maybe you could post a how to powder coat on here , for us that don't have a clue how its done .
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
Copp3r

How to Powder Coat

Post by Copp3r »

Powder coating is really very easy.
- cut / fabricate your part and ensure you get the metal to a finished product (no dross, etc.)
- clean it with Acetone to get all the oils and crap off of it
- apply the powder with your electrostatic gun
( I purchased my gun at Eastwood and it works really well)

- roll the piece(s) in to your oven and let them bake at 375 - 400 or so depending on the powder... for 20 minutes, let the part(s) cool and you're ready to go !

As for the powder, I get mine from either Eastwood or Powder by the Pound. Two good supplies... or at least they've treated me really well. NO complaints.

*** If you're doing small pieces like fishing louers you can make up a REALLY CHEAP application system without purchasing a powder coating gun and bake the parts in an oven. Have a look at these on You Tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0P8elQ ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SrQzk2B22w

The powders typically will tell you what temps and for how long to bake them but the above is a rough guide. Hey, I'm just a backyard hack and if I can do it (and save a crap load of money doing it !!! ) so you any of you !!!!

Copp3r / roger
Copp3r

Post by Copp3r »

Fan? Actually I'm ahead of you on that one. You'll note there are three switches on the outside of the control panel, one being for a fan. Frankly, it got "cooked" in the heat and it doesn't seem to make any difference in any event. With the heating elements near to the bottom and being such a small area, it's pretty much just like a bigger version of your kitchen stove.

Thanks for the thought all the same....

Copp3r / roger
dbarr
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dbarr »

Thank you for sharing I have been looking around for a good oven design and I think yours is the best homemade I have seen. I'll try your design. :D
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I assume its a 4x4x8? I am getting ready to build me one also i see you have 4 elements whats your wattage 12000? Nice oven.
rottenleonard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rottenleonard »

where did you get the insulation?
Copp3r

Post by Copp3r »

Sorry guys, I can't tell you the watts off the top of my head. Perhaps chat with an electrician as the elements I used were from a standard household cooking oven. It seems to me when I got the control box made I emailed the guy with the specs and he went from there.

As for the insulation, Home Depot or where ever you buy your building supplies. It's non-flammable ... Same with the metal studs.

As I've mentioned, I put a sheet of steel across the bottom where you roll in your rack. I'd HIGHLY recommend adding this piece in as it will strengthen the system.

Door hinges and locking mechanism. Give some thought as to how you want to hinge the door. All I did was to get some heavy duty gate hinges and weld them to the door and frame. Due to the weight of the door, I also added on a steel wheel to the one corner to help take the weight of the door when you're opening / closing it.

As for the locking mechanism, I used a couple of 6" bolts welding a bracket to the door (to hold the bolt and washer along with a crank made out of pipe) and a corresponding bracket to the frame on to which I welded a nut.

So, you wheel the door closed and screw the two bolts in to the nuts and away you go.

I hope that covers off some of the finer points.

Certainly not a professional job, but then again it cost me a FRACTION of the price.

Copp3r / roger
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

Copp3r, oven looks great!!

A very good source for powder coat oven parts is http://www.tedsfabrication.com/tedsfabs/
Ted sell parts & complete ovens, he also has a new forum with oven build threads at http://www.thepowdercoatingforum.com/fo ... n-Building
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”