Plasmacam DHC upgrade

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
TexasJ
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasmacam DHC upgrade

Post by TexasJ »

It's time to upgrade my old Plasmacam DHC (non-ohmic sense) with Powermax 380 setup. I figured I would first upgrade to the new Powermax 45 XP then either upgrade to an ohmic sensing plasmacam 'upgrade' (DHC2) or replace with a gotorch unit. Does anyone have a recommendation based on their experience. Would I be better off selling the DHC unit as a whole, upgrading it, or replacing it?

Question for Jim Colt: Assuming that I'll be keeping my DHC plasmacam a few more months...which model of the Powermax 45 xp do I need? Model 088113? I figured I'd stay with the hand torch model to keep the torch mount retrofit simple. This is a single-phase 220V garage. Also, how do I connect using the CPC port - does Hypertherm sell an interface cable like this one?:
http://www.pjmetalfab.com/plasma-cam-ac ... play-cable

General question for everyone: should I bother to sell the old Powermax 380? (I don't think it's worth much...lol). Personally, I think it would make a good boat anchor. :D

Thanks,
Jay
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam DHC upgrade

Post by jimcolt »

The DHC Upgrade is the best way to go, make sure you get advanced height control and machine control.

If you are planning to use the hand torch on a Plasmacam....then the correct Powermax45 XP will be the 088012 system. The CPC port is required for use with the machine torch, it serves no purpose with a hand torch. To interface the hand torch equipped Powermax to a Plasmacam you need to follow their interface instructions and use the supplied Plasmacam interface cable.

The Plug and Play cable from www.pjmetalfab.com is designed to interface the CPC port directly to the Plasmacam control box (no cutting, splicing of internal wiring), however this cable only works with a machine torch and a power supply equipped with the CPC port.

The Powermax380 in working condition with a hand torch will sell quickly on Craiglist for $500 to $600.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
TexasJ
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TexasJ »

Thanks for the fast reply Jim! I picked up the 088124 unit w/ Cpc port - for future upgrade to the machine torch and because the price difference wasn't much and I get an extra torch:)

I'll be sure to contact Plasmacam about upgrades. Do you know if the cable I have for my existing DHC/Powermax 380 will work on the Powermax 45xp, or do I need a new interface cable?
Gogogadget62
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Gogogadget62 »

always keep the old machine around the shop for cutting scrap and other small job
Dan Gauthier
5x10 Samson
Miller 185 wire feeder
600 Hypertherm
45 Hypertherm
85 Hypertherm
40 ton press and dies
powder coating
80 gallon DeVAIR compressor 5Hp
TexasJ
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TexasJ »

I ordered the new Powermax 45xp with 2 torches so I think that I'm ok. What I still don't understand is why the Powermax 45xp with a machine torch is the only option for using the cpc port connection. I still have to call Plasmacam to find out how to wire up the interface. I'll post an update when I figure all this out...

J
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Machine torches on all the Hypertherm Powermax units will only accept the start signal from the CPC port. Hand torches are designed to start with a trigger switch mounted on the torch. The different starting methods are necessary for safety purposes.....so that a hand torch does not accidentally fire from a machine interface, and so a machine torch does not accidentally fire from a hand torch trigger switch. Not all plasma cutter manufacturers pay attention to safety to the level that Hypertherm does.

If you are planning to use the hand torch on a Plasmacam machine...you must use the special interface cable that Plasmacam supplies, and follow their detailed wiring instructions...there are four connections that must be made inside the plasma cutter, two on the main control board (screw terminals) and two on the torch trigger wiring (cut and splice wires in the plasma cutter). You then must zip-tie the hand torch trigger switch and mount the hand torch on the supplied mount.

With a Powermax machine torch....you must have a power supply that is equipped with the CPC interface port (can be added in the field if your Powermax did not come from the factory with this). You must then reset the internal voltage divider dip switches to the correct division ratio for a Plasmacam machine (21.1 : 1), then purchase a Plug and Play cable (get it at http://www.pjmetalfab.com or make your own) that plugs into the Plasmacam control box and into the PowermaxCPC port. Ready to cut with no internal connections. This makes the plasma portable (leave the machine torch on the Plasmacam machine)...and you can plug in the hand torch and use it anywhere you want when not machine cutting. You need a machine torch mount as well....I suggest the www.snapncut.com magnetic breakaway mount.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
TexasJ
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TexasJ »

Thanks for clarifying this Jim. I now have a better understanding of Powermax torch details. After scouring the posts on several forums and videos it seems that Hypertherm might want to provide more details on their website regarding Duramax torches, compatibilities, configurations and consumables as many folks find it all a bit confusing (just my 2 cents).

Plasmacam tech support emailed me a detailed video on wiring their interface cable to the Powermax 45 xp so I'm good to go:)

Also, the $6k for the DHC to DHC2 upgrade I will put off for awhile... until after I win the lottery...lol. Seriously though, ohmic height sensing is a really great feature but it is hard to justify at this point.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”