Hypertherm Powermax 45 CNC Interface Cable

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hypertherm Powermax 45 CNC Interface Cable

Post by Dingo745 »

I am about to try and hook up Hypertherm Powermax 45 to a homemade CNC table which did have a Hypertherm Powermax 30 on it before which was connected to a Neuron Simplicity THC via a Hall Sensor and the I/O interface board to the BOB.
The guy's 45 has the CNC interface port and here in good Oz the thieving B******s want $102 AUD plus tax and plus shipping which is plain highway robbery if what I suspect is correct and all I need to do is hook up the wires internally using the Neuron's wiring pinout diagram and just running the wires like I did before to the I/O board and picking either divided or raw voltage option.
So is this possible or will the the Hypertherm Gods come down and smite me with his huge torch ?
NeuronSimplicityUserManual_018.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 45 CNC Interface Cable

Post by Rodw »

I'm in Australia and am building my own scratch build plasma but am using a different brand of plasma cutter. If it was me, I'd buy the interface cable and be done with it. I'm sure I've seen the part number for the plug for your machine somewhere. I'd say it would be at least $35, maybe more so the $100 is pretty good value.

Spare a thought for me. My plasma came with the plug for the plasma end and I tracked down one down on ebay that was similar for $12.00 then had to buy a $100 roll of cable for it. Then RS components pushed the delivery date out a month for the cable and I'm still waiting for it! SO in the end, it will cost me more than your interface cable.
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

The designer of the THC that I am using has told me it is ok to just tap into the pin-outs of the CNC interface plug and connect them to his I/O interface board's Raw Voltage inputs and Bob's your uncle and save the $100 +
BTW if you want a decent THC looks at Neuron http://neuroncnc.com/products/neuronalone
Not the cheapest but well the extra $$'s for excellent backup service and fine product that won't disappoint.
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

The Pucka Hypertherm interface cable is rather nice stuff. Three twisted pairs of stranded wire each pair individually screened then iirc an overall screen around the three.

Mine was a heck of a mess when I got it, so I had to shorten and re-make the ends. It had no cable restraints when I got it, and I had to shorten it and re-make the ends.
Hypertherm-Control-Cable-#1.jpg
Cable-Looking-Far-More-Healthy.jpg

4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
East German
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by East German »

Hallo

CPC connectors are available individually.
But beware all parts must be ordered separately..CPC Connector..Connector Pins...Backshell :!:

Search for: CPC Connector 14-17
CPC Connector.jpg
Regards Peter

Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Dingo745 wrote: BTW if you want a decent THC looks at Neuron http://neuroncnc.com/products/neuronalone
Not the cheapest but well the extra $$'s for excellent backup service and fine product that won't disappoint.
Thanks, but THC will be done by a LinuxCNC component using the USD $69 MESA THCAD board attached to my MESA 7i76e ethernet board. the THCAD is designed to read torch voltage. I figured if it did not work, at the price, I could revert to an external THC I already have.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Dingo745 wrote:I am about to try and hook up Hypertherm Powermax 45 to a homemade CNC table which did have a Hypertherm Powermax 30 on it before which was connected to a Neuron Simplicity THC via a Hall Sensor and the I/O interface board to the BOB.
The guy's 45 has the CNC interface port and here in good Oz the thieving B******s want $102 AUD plus tax and plus shipping which is plain highway robbery if what I suspect is correct and all I need to do is hook up the wires internally using the Neuron's wiring pinout diagram and just running the wires like I did before to the I/O board and picking either divided or raw voltage option.
So is this possible or will the the Hypertherm Gods come down and smite me with his huge torch ?
NeuronSimplicityUserManual_018.jpg

Be aware that the 45 only has a 50:1 divider ratio. It is not settable to another ratio like the newer 45XP and the 65-125 series
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

Thanks Jim, But Andrew from Neuron informed of that fact so I am connecting it to the Raw Voltage inputs of his I/O interface board.
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

Wow Andrew Mawson ,
Is that what Hypertherm are charging $75USD for ???
That is shocking and a downright rip off in my book and so much for made in the USA quality
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

"RAW" voltage is NOT available on the CPC connector as Tom stated. 50:1, yes so around 3volts DC, not 150volts. Raw voltage would mean you would have to open the HP45 and run your own wires out.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Just to clarify. The pictures posted of the cables earlier in this thread are not the way Hypertherm makes their cables. If they are genuine Hypertherm....rest assured that someone has done some hacking on them!

The CPC plug is used internationally....you can buy the plug, the strain relief and the pins here in the US for less than $10. The pins do require a special crimping tool that is expensive (I have one that I paid over $100 for about 30 years ago).

You can get AMP/ Tyco connectors from an electronic supply house….they are manufactured by Tyco, and are known as Amp CPC connectors. Here are the tyco numbers:

A1358-ND Plug Shell
A32516-ND Cable Clamp
A99521-ND Pins

With these parts you can make your own cable.....if you figure your time and have to buy the recommended crimping tool....it will likely cost more than purchasing a premade cable.

As stated earlier....the divided voltage output ratio on a Powermax45 (pins 5 and 6 on the CPC connector) is 50:1, not 20:1 as you have in the electrical diagram. Newer Hypertherm systems equipped with the CPC port (Powermax45 XP, 65, 85, 105 and 125) all have a dip switch selectable output ratio of 20:1, 21.1:1, 30:1, 40:1 or 50:1 depending on what the CNC machine or height control is specified for.

If you choose to use raw arc voltage, don't be tempted to use extra connections on the CPC port....as this units voltage rating is far below the potential of 300 volts DC that can be present with raw arc voltage.

Good luck with the connections, feel free to email me directly if you have questions. Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com

AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Dingo745 wrote:Wow Andrew Mawson ,
Is that what Hypertherm are charging $75USD for ???
That is shocking and a downright rip off in my book and so much for made in the USA quality
It's how I received the cable in my second hand home made plasma table. The whole thing was rather like that, with NONE of the cable clamps fitted and tatty wires everywhere, which is why I rebuilt it, incorporated down draught extraction and totally rebuilt the electrical enclosure - there is a thread here describing the tear down and re-build:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11797.0.html

I have no idea if that cable was an original Hypertherm, but if so I've no doubt whatsoever it would have been shipped in a good condition complete with all clamps, as their stuff is very well made. That cable got like that due to abuse and misuse :cry:
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”