New here

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
BlackDog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New here

Post by BlackDog »

New to the site and am getting a plasma cutter. Start will be slow I am sure, and wanting information on how to go about getting some good wildlife art files ready to cut.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: New here

Post by Shane Warnick »

Check out signtorch.com, freedxf.com, ironshadows.com (kinda pricy but nice stuff I have a few of their cd's) .
Give you a good place to start. Signtorch and Freedxf have the option to buy then entire collection and you save quite a bit of money when you do. You can get images down as low as the 20-25 cent range pretty quick, downside is you have to buy it all and take all the images. I bought the entire signtorch collection, and am probably about to buy the entire freedxf collection as well. Is there stuff that I will probably never cut? Sure. Have I already cut stuff that I would have never bothered buying if it was not in the collection? Absolutely, probably enough so that it paid for the entire collection it was in. Depends more on your budget and what you are willing / able to spend up front. If you are going into business and plan on doing this for $ then get as many as cheap as you can. it will pay off quickly.

Almost forgot, if you register on the plasmaspider site as a contributing member ($20 a year) you can download any of the files shared on here for free. I HIGHLY recommend this, as it not only helps the admin out and keeps the site going, but it lets you post files and ask for help (you will need it I promise especially when you first get started) and other members can help you out with a drawing etc and you can download the changes / corrected file. There is also a ton of stuff on here you can download and cut and start making $ ASAP with it. Great place to get your feet wet especially with customizing some of the files that are shared here. Easy enough to change or add a name or address etc and start passing out business cards and getting the word out.

Shane
BlackDog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BlackDog »

Thanks for the information. It will help. As I said I am new to this and want to get going but need to watch my budget a bit. Just purchased a plasma cutter and waiting for delivery @ 6 weeks and wanted to get a jump on getting some things ready. I am going to start out in my garage and see where it goes from here. My grandson will be doing this with me so will be good to have family involved, and hope to make a bit of money as well. Again thanks, will check those places out.....
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Welcome aboard!!
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Make sure to invest a little in some kind of fume extractor or containment device. Normal routes are either water table or air down draft system. They can be made cheap and effective.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

free dxf files from steelfxpatinas.com_img.jpg
Hello BlackDog,

Welcome to Plasmaspider & the Exciting World of Plasma-Cutting!

CAUTION: Plasma-Cutting & Metal Art is Highly Addictive! ;)

Shane's advice is spot-on!

I've got a few dozen DXF files that are totally free to anyone, to help get you started. You can download them from my website at:

http://steelfxpatinas.com/shop/dxf-file ... ollection/

Thanks to the DXF Vendors that Shane mentioned, along with top-flight advice from more experienced plasma-cutters, a great deal of plasma-cutting businesses have gotten off to a good start & become very successful.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

thanks,

Bill :)

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I hope that was an open invitation
Thanks for the files
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

acourtjester wrote:I hope that was an open invitation
Thanks for the files
Yes, the DXF files are for anyone that wants 'em. I'm not in the DXF business, but have a few to share.

Some of 'em have been good 'money-makers' for me & I hope they are something you can use.

(In this business of plasma-cutting, one can never have too many DXF files). ;)

Just my way of saying, "Thanks" for visiting my site and/or using STEEL F/X? products.

:D Bill

p.s. I've got 3 New Videos in the works. All should be finished & uploaded by the middle part of August.
One of them is a Metal Art Project I'll probably call, "Start to Finish"...3 Video Camera Angles throughout the whole process from Mill-Scale Removal, Polishing, Patinas, Dyes and Clear-Coating.

So far, I have 2.5 hrs. of footage that I have to edit down to 15-20 minutes. The piece is 6' Wide X 27" Tall.

Should be pretty cool.
*crossing my fingers* ;)

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

BlackDog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BlackDog »

Thank You all for the advise. I did purchase the contributing member pack. Guess it takes a day or so to show up? Looking forward to getting started, but have to wait for equipment we ordered to get here @ 6 weeks. And I did order the dust collection with the Dynatorch system we bought. Any advise on what box fan would be good for the dust/fume removal? I will be porting this straight out a wall so only @ 2 feet of duct needed.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Looking forward to the new videos I watched the others and have your book and some patina colors and metal dies.
I have room for improvements but am happy with what they have done for me. 8-)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
BlackDog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BlackDog »

Have been looking at the Signtorch, and FreeDFX websites for designs, etc. Could anyone tell me if the Signtorch packages come ready to cut, or do they need to be modified? Same for the FreeDFX ones? thanks for the help....

Black Dog
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

BlackDog wrote:Have been looking at the Signtorch, and FreeDFX websites for designs, etc. Could anyone tell me if the Signtorch packages come ready to cut, or do they need to be modified? Same for the FreeDFX ones? thanks for the help....

Black Dog
I've cut files from both of them and never had a problem. :D :D :D

Larry
BlackDog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BlackDog »

Thanks Larry, I appreciate the reply. Think I will start with the Signtorch . (Little less expensive on my budget). But would not want to rule out the FreeDFX designs. Want to make sure I don't pay so much attentention to bubget that I loose sight of what we are hoping to accomplish. That said, "Aint a rich man either" Ha Ha
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

Make sure you order the Signtorch book.It,s well organized and gives a good visual for you and your customers.Well worth the 20 bucks or so.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
BlackDog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BlackDog »

Thank You, good advise...... I have not heard back on the message I sent to Signtorch, but could anyone let me know if the Download works good, or would it be better to get the CD version? Thinking about getting the Super Bundle.
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

Why don't you go here - - - http://www.signtorch.com/store/Free-Sample-Vector-Art/
Down a couple of the FREE ones and see how they work for you. I have some of each, first was on a disk then some downloads, both work for me. :D :D :D

Larry
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I have entire collections from both but find I use the Signtorch ones at least 10 times more often but both are great source to get you going.

Both are quite different in that Free dxf/ Cascade is mostly assembled files where as Signtorch is mostly components. I find that anyone and everyone that cuts has all the free download ones so it makes your work look very copybook type where as using components to assemble or create a file looks more personal and unique. People hate buying catalog products and if they do they want "cheap".

I also find that rarely do I have to alter the Signtorch files unless they need to be very small where as with the Free dxf/ Cascade ones, unless I want to cut them real large I have to adjust a lot of lines to get clearance between cuts (Jason works on 1/16" clearance for laser)

If I get a customer wants a property sign or similar, I can open up the signtorch book with the images, fire up the laptop and select a mountain range, a couple of trees, a barn, some railing and some grass and then add in a few animals etc. Then type in some text, change the font, size etc. right in front of the customer to create what they are after using the svg option, that way they can see it as a black and white image so you don't have to try and explain what stays and what drops. Then when the customer is happy you can explain that you will now make that into a cutable file which will be theirs and different to their neighbor 2 miles down the road.

As has been suggested above, try some of the free download ones and do get the books.

I do have other collections too, I tend to buy what I see available even if I'm only using them for reference or a starting point to modify from.
Murray
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Murray,

that's awesome advise, thanks very much.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
BlackDog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BlackDog »

Great advice from all, and it is very much appreciated. I have been reading posts on a lot of different subjects, and can see how a rookie like me can pick up a lot from those of you that have already fought some of the battles us new guys will find just by putting in some "screen time" here. Have downloaded a good many of the free downloads here, and Thanks to all for that. Looking forward to learning more.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”