Officially started my table build!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Officially started my table build!

Post by Black Forest »

I have officially started my CNC plasma table build! I want the table also for boring and tapping so the Z axis is quite robust. When finished the gantry will weigh just under 200lbs.

The table will be able to handle a 3000 x 1500 (5x10 foot) sheet of material with the gantry parked out of the way.

With CandCNC's 5 axis 850oz servo package I think I will be good to go.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Officially started my table build!

Post by Black Forest »

I am officially cutting you all out of my will!

Not one encouraging word from any of you guys.

That's it, you are out of the will. Don't try to suck up now it is too late! :evil:
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

It looks very well built . . . solid . . . don't forget, you have to stop that mass just as quickly as you move it . . . :D
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

CNCCAJUN wrote:It looks very well built . . . solid . . . don't forget, you have to stop that mass just as quickly as you move it . . . :D
Steve
Ok, only you are back in the will.

I intend to put big disk brakes on the gantry!
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Hmm - disc brakes from a Chevy Surburban would be about the right size, and you could use that 350 with a turbo --- :D Are you going to use a water table or a downdraft with it, cause I would hate to see that beautiful shop get all nasty with powdered metal?
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Hi Black Forest,

I could do with some cash so I'm trying to get put in your will (or "will" that leave me with debt :lol: ).

Your gantry does look built like a tank BUT you also seem to have big motors to move it. I'm guessing twin 850 oz servos might do the job, my gantry isn't lightweight and I only have one crappy 600 oz stepper driving it.

The big question is have you got your gearing sorted out. From what I've read, you may need 10:1 low backlash gear reduction boxes to be used with the servo motors (dratt, that's obviously going to reduce what's left in the will).

A guy on the forum WSS put servos on his big oxy table and I'm pretty sure that's what he ended up using.

Check with Tom at Candcnc and see what he suggests. Perhaps if you can get a weight on your gantry that will help. I realise you may have to guess that one or find some big fish scales.

Good luck with your build, and I'll wish myself luck with your will :D .

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I was going to say the same thing. And along with a big gantry, requires a big heavy duty frame, which I'm sure it will have. I'd say by the time it's all said and done, you'll probably have the most heavy duty home built, or non-table manufacturer built, whatever you want to call it, tables out there. If I had one of those I would definitely be looking for a high-definition plasma cutter and controller out there. You can find an HPR130 on eBay for like $10k these days. And come up with a Hypertherm controller, another $10k at most, hopefully find a newer one with true hole technology. The gantries on the high definition cutter machines I have seen are made out of metal though, and these machines cost over $100k new. I had an AKS Accu-Kut for a while but sold it before I got it up and running. I read online the frame was built out of 3/8" thick steel tubing. They don't mess around. I wish I got it up and running but just didn't have the room.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

plain ol Bill wrote:Hmm - disc brakes from a Chevy Surburban would be about the right size, and you could use that 350 with a turbo --- :D Are you going to use a water table or a downdraft with it, cause I would hate to see that beautiful shop get all nasty with powdered metal?
Downdraft table.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

beefy wrote:Hi Black Forest,

I could do with some cash so I'm trying to get put in your will (or "will" that leave me with debt :lol: ).

Your gantry does look built like a tank BUT you also seem to have big motors to move it. I'm guessing twin 850 oz servos might do the job, my gantry isn't lightweight and I only have one crappy 600 oz stepper driving it.

The big question is have you got your gearing sorted out. From what I've read, you may need 10:1 low backlash gear reduction boxes to be used with the servo motors (dratt, that's obviously going to reduce what's left in the will).

A guy on the forum WSS put servos on his big oxy table and I'm pretty sure that's what he ended up using.

Check with Tom at Candcnc and see what he suggests. Perhaps if you can get a weight on your gantry that will help. I realise you may have to guess that one or find some big fish scales.

Good luck with your build, and I'll wish myself luck with your will :D .

Keith.
Planetary zero backlash gear reduction heads mounted directly to the motors.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

Metriccar wrote:I was going to say the same thing. And along with a big gantry, requires a big heavy duty frame, which I'm sure it will have. I'd say by the time it's all said and done, you'll probably have the most heavy duty home built, or non-table manufacturer built, whatever you want to call it, tables out there. If I had one of those I would definitely be looking for a high-definition plasma cutter and controller out there. You can find an HPR130 on eBay for like $10k these days. And come up with a Hypertherm controller, another $10k at most, hopefully find a newer one with true hole technology. The gantries on the high definition cutter machines I have seen are made out of metal though, and these machines cost over $100k new. I had an AKS Accu-Kut for a while but sold it before I got it up and running. I read online the frame was built out of 3/8" thick steel tubing. They don't mess around. I wish I got it up and running but just didn't have the room.
Oh yeah! Heavy duty frame is definitely planned. The X axis will have THK linear rails. After the frame is built it goes to a friend of mine to be trued up on their huge 6 meter long bed mill. If you look at the picture of the gantry in this thread it is sitting on my Siegmund fixturing table. I will build the frame using this fixturing table to keep things as square as possible while welding. After welding the frame together it will be stress relieved and then milled.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”