Need some ideas

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
agteacher
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Need some ideas

Post by agteacher »

I have 20 new helmets and gloves and safety glasses for this year. I am wanting to make something to hang on the wall to store each set. So when the student is finished they will go hang/put all three in the same place. Hoping this cuts down on missing glasses and gloves.

I have a couple of ideas but wondering if the brain trust here could come up with anything else.

I have the block walls, so I was going to screw a wood 2x4 to the wall so I could attach whatever I come up with to it.

Ready, set go!!!
Randy Dobbins
Welding Teacher Humble ISD
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Need some ideas

Post by Shane Warnick »

Take a look at the attached file. 10" long, so you would need two, maybe one over the other. Cut the hooks, I would use 14g, or 10g and bend them out with a little heat, and voila. Helmets on one (prob bottom) hook, gloves behind the top one, glasses hang on the tip of the top one, or you could make a small hole in the tip of the top hook, bend it flat out (perpendicular to the floor) after you push the top hook out, and glasses can hang there. If it was me, and the same students would be using the equipment each day, I would add a number for each hook at the top, 1-20. Then, make a master key, or add a place to attach their name over the hook (weld a nut on and use a machine screw etc). First week of class, cut each students name, along with the hanger. Let them weld the nuts on, or help and hang it. Names go on last, end of the school year, let them take their name home. They could even take them down and paint them during the semester, patina, etc for a little extra credit etc. Next semester, rack is already made, grab a part of a sheet of 16g or 14g, make more names.

If you numbered each hook, and also numbered the helmets, gloves, goggles etc then it would be easy to tell at a glance who had not replaced their stuff. If you don't number the equipment, and I lose my gloves or glasses, I'm just going to grab some off another hook and it's not my problem anymore.

On a side note, I would think if there was some culpability (numbered / assigned equipment) that a grade could be affected by missing equipment. Not worn out just MIA. When I have help in the shop, doesn't matter if it's some 30 year old dude needs some extra cash, or some local young man from the high school, I use a sharpie and give them glasses, gloves, etc and mark it, and show them where to keep it. You bring me your wore out gloves, you get $5 cash out of my pocket. I catch you in a set without your initials, you owe me $5. Same with glasses, they get so bad you can't see, bring them to me, you get another pair, we mark them, you get $5. Old set goes in trash. Not sure if your situation would allow for extra credit or some other incentive (passes to a football game? Movie passes? Get out of jail free card when I catch you screwing around in the shop (No no that never happens) etc etc)

If you get someone that makes all 4 years of welding (if you offer that many) or fab or whatever, I think you could raise enough money throughout the year selling their products, that you could buy them a good helmet or something for graduation. Might even be able to fund a scholarship for a trade school for a student or two that was going into fabrication, welding etc off of the proceeds from fire pits etc. Of course, that depends more on how much time you want to put into it and how aggressive you want to push it. Here, I help the local shop class out, they don't have a CNC, so I cut for them at cost. They buy material, assemble the goods, and the booster clubs peddle them (football, band, track, cheerleader, baseball, and on and on and on) and they deduct the cost of the material, then SPLIT the profit. Half to the boosters, half to the fab class. The students usually have enough to make each of them a $400-500 (material cost) project each spring, so they all get a fire pit, or a BBQ pit, or something like that that they made, and get to keep it. Booster club gets a ton of money for little effort (if someone will pay $2000 for an autographed team basketball, you know what those tards,, errr, ummm, I mean dads, will pay for a themed fire pit etc). If you have a table, I think the sky could be the limit on something like that, just depends on what you ave to work with and what the administration would be willing to let you do.

Anyways, file attached, just a quick something I drew up. Enjoy

Shane
Wall hanger for hats and gloves AG Teacher.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

agteacher
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by agteacher »

Thank you for the idea. I feel so silly sometimes that I couldn't come up with that design. I however modified it where it would work better for what I need.

I ended up using some 4"x1/8" strap metal that I had. Just set a jig up on my table. Made some marks at 10 1/2" apart. Made one cut, slid the metal down and continued until I got what I needed. I ended up making 3 rows. Two rows with 8 then the last row I put 7.

Turns out I only needed the one "hook". The gloves fit down inside the helmet and the glasses clipped over the side of the helmet.

I will take a picture of my "model" that I cut first to make sure it worked out.

Thanks again!!
Randy Dobbins
agteacher
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by agteacher »

Here is a quick photo.

I will have to paint the others and get maintenance down here to "help" me install them on the wall.

Randy Dobbins
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I wouldn't feel stupid about that at all. There are only about 1000 different ways to handle what you were after, and I am sure there are people on here that could have made one way better than my design. Sometimes it's just an experience thing. I think that's why so many of us are on here so much, we all share and we all learn, which in turn makes us all better at what we do.

I would rather learn from someone else's experience, than have to repeat the same mistakes myself for the same end result. That being said, I am not at all afraid to strike out and try on my own if nobody else knows or has tried.

Shane
agteacher
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by agteacher »

Here is the final product!

Thanks again for the help Shane!

Randy Dobbins

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”