My CNC Plasma Project

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

My CNC Plasma Project

Post by kkroger »

I communicated with several manufacturers got quotes and some didn't reply at all. Money burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't seem to find some that were interested in selling to me, there were a couple but their prices were simply out of reach. So far I have about $7500 into it total, with materials at the high priced local yard that is open when I am not working.
Pretty damned functional considering the cost and size.
I purchased the Gantry from Precision Plasma LLC In Minnesota
and I purchased the Electronics package from CandCNC in Texas.
620 Oz In Motors, Ethercut with DTHC-IV, Also Router and Scanning function.
I built the base of the table and the water pan/slat bed.
Drilled and Tapped the frame for the CRS Rails, Drilled the CRS Rails as well on the mill/drill.
Steel from the local steel supply. A Co-Worker said "It Looks ALMOST Professionally Built"
I said "Thanks... I think...."
Pic

a "Supereyes B005" Camera from Amazon ($28) and the software from Sheetcam (Stable Designs) called "Scanything" WORKS GREAT! This is just a test but will be ultra handy when someone drags in a part they want duplicated or a pile of cardboard templates...
Coke Logo - YouTube
That is the Supereyes Camera on the right of the Z axis. the Silver tube...
Same "Coke" Logo routed into finished plywood, works great.
My Brother in law broke the Alternator Bracket on his race car and needed it repaired.
This is the Umpteenth time To "repair it...
So I decided I would just make a NEW part.
Well I scanned it into a .DXF file using my CNC table... and Sheetcam "Scanything"
Then I "Fixed" it in CAD making it I believe SUPERIOR to the original...
Then I engraved the thing with his racing team name. Just using the Font available in Sheetcam
Installed
I use this machine for engraving and routing too. Works Fine but I make the fixtures for the parts
And they are designed so that I can install them on the machine and level them to the machine then when I cut parts I don't get Thick and Thin Spots.
I am currently using the plasma I had on hand, a Hypertherm PM30, modified with the RAV card and Current Probe from CandCNC... seems to work OK, on thicker materials I would be getting close to the duty cycle, but on thinner stuff I am doing just fine so far. a PM65 or 85 is on my Christmas list.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: My CNC Plasma Project

Post by Largemouthlou »

Awesome project and a good review on the "scanny thing"!!!
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks for all that.

Great to see some "real world" results from Scanything, I've made note of the camera model.

Cheers,

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

That Scanything looks awesome.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

The Scanything is pretty awesome.
It takes a bit of work to get the trace down.
the FLATTER the finish on the pattern the better.
If the finish is "Glossy" then avoid using the onboard lamps on the camera.
Another thing is the "Calibration" is pretty simple but it never tells you that the thing is calibrated.
it just stops and runs the cal dot off the screen.

So by adjusting the Servo Gain and Brightness you can trace about anything.
I like it. the software is about $89 US and the camera was $28 US...
ProCut sells it for about $500 as a package with a bracket and Laser Crosshair...
You could buy Their Laser Crosshair for $45...

I'll try to do a better documentary on it in a few days.
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

Awesome project. Great to see another home builder successfully running there CNC machine in multiple modes.
I'll try to do a better documentary on it in a few days
I would like to see and here more about the scanner myself. I use Sheetcam and have watched the development of the scanner over time. I have been waiting to see others real life experience with the system.

Thanks,
Scott
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Just out of curiosity is that $7500 with the plasma cutter?
You can get an LDR for like $6500 or an Arclight for like $9000.
I guess some of these manufacturers aren't making a killing after all.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Metriccar wrote:Just out of curiosity is that $7500 with the plasma cutter?
You can get an LDR for like $6500 or an Arclight for like $9000.
I guess some of these manufacturers aren't making a killing after all.
Everyone who actually got back to me would have been more than I paid.
and as I stated in the post that did not include the plasma cutter as I already had that.
it DID include the board and current probe for that cutter. that was $142... and some other stuff for the shop.
The new one will be a Powermax 65 or 85 and that will be another almost 3k...
A Torchmate Growth Series 2x2 is about 3500 with no torch height control or power Z axis... if you want that it is another $3200 or so...
Plasmacam- 4x4 10 Grand with no torch height control
Go-Torch- 2x2 for $3k with no torch height control
Lightning (who is on the longer list of those who did NOT get back to me) wants $3500 for a 5x5 with no touch and go and no torch height control.

Compared to those who actually wanted to deal with me I got WAY more table for about the same money.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

HI KK
Since you seem to be one to use your CNC table for more then Plasma have you thought about a drag knife or pneumatic scribe. Both are a low expense type tool that open other doors to different projects. I have a scribe for my table and built a small router table for my daughter and put a drag knife on it. I am half way through making one for my table.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

acourtjester wrote:HI KK
Since you seem to be one to use your CNC table for more then Plasma have you thought about a drag knife or pneumatic scribe. Both are a low expense type tool that open other doors to different projects. I have a scribe for my table and built a small router table for my daughter and put a drag knife on it. I am half way through making one for my table.
Yup, I have looked into the Drag Knife and since most of my router fixtures are Vacuum a bigger vacuum deck is in the offing. Probably use the Donek Drag Knife instead of re-inventing the wheel. and I have looked at Ron's Air Scribe too.
Under $1000 for the scribe from PPLLC (without the actual scribe that would be another couple hundred or so I think)

That would be handy for some things. I may setup a dedicated small router table as well eventually.
with a Bulldog table and CandCNC electronics.
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

A Roland cutter head and Sheetcam without the drag knife plugin works great for vinyl cutting. This is my machine:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-r ... tting.html

Scott
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

KK
You like to throw money at a project.
Total my drag knife setup is about $30.00 here is the blade holder, can be done with no special software too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Roland-Cut ... 3f3a034d0c
I stick the vinyl down to a sheet of glass on my table with "Easy-Tack" a repositional adhesive. Cut your pattern and peel the waste vinyl off and then use vinyl graphics transfer tape to put the pattern off. Then place it where you want to apply it and press it down and remove the transfer tape done deal.
I may have $260. in the pneumatic scribe total again no special software.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

You guys are really showing the opportunities there are with a non-proprietary system
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

acourtjester wrote:KK
You like to throw money at a project.
Total my drag knife setup is about $30.00 here is the blade holder, can be done with no special software too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Roland-Cut ... 3f3a034d0c
I stick the vinyl down to a sheet of glass on my table with "Easy-Tack" a repositional adhesive. Cut your pattern and peel the waste vinyl off and then use vinyl graphics transfer tape to put the pattern off. Then place it where you want to apply it and press it down and remove the transfer tape done deal.
I may have $260. in the pneumatic scribe total again no special software.
I do leatherworking too, Holsters, Saddles etc... that little drag knife would not cut my leather, the Donek will.
It swivels in the Router which I already have the mount for... Easy peasy... No special software needed.

I like vacuum tables... doesn't cost a lot to make one.

As for the scribe though, let's see what you have done! I am interested in that, how would you do it when the scribe costs more than your entire outlay? plus solenoids, slides, Cylinder... Let's see it!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok
Here is an sir cylinder for the scribe activator.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151193412351?ss ... 1423.l2649
$27.00
Pneumatic scribe 78.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291218033486?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
air pressure regulators I used 2 $10. each
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNS-AR2000-1-4- ... 41853f3fd8
air solenoid valve 110 Volt $29.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Electric-So ... 43c69ee64b
plus some fittings and ?? plastic air hose and a slide
I used the M3 and M5 to turn on/off the air with a relay. :D

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

You guys are really showing the opportunities there are with a non-proprietary system

So far my machine does:

CNC router, rigid enough to routinely machine aluminum plate and anything less.

Plasma cutter

Vinyl cutter

Circuit Board maker, plotting (for etching) and drilling 2 sided circuit boards

Oxy-Fuel cutter (made this operation before building the plasma attachments)

Within 1 hour of time or less I can re-configure the machine for any of the operations. It is really amazing what can be done with a CNC machine. Imagination is the limit. Many of the functions of my machine are documented on CNC zone if anyone is interested.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Posts like this shows that a cnc table is a very useful tool to have and use.
This may inspire some to join in the fun weather you buy or build your own table. :)
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Nice! Can you mount the Plasma Torch and the Scribe at the same time?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Yes I could as I used the same bolt pattern for the both but I have not done that yet. The scribe would be off to the side of the torch.
I use a wire boom to carry both the air lines and the Plasma cable so I would need to parallel them to have both mounted at the same time. My electronics would use the same trigger plug output. For the plasma I just use the 2 outside pins for torch on/off. For the air solenoid the wiring has +5 volts on the center 2 pins this is used to operate the relay that triggers the air solenoid in series with the outside wires, a series circuit.
Here is how I did it for both the scribe and the router triggers with the blue and red wires reversed. Made active with output #1 from the BOB (m3 on & M5 off) Mach 3.

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

acourtjester wrote:Yes I could as I used the same bolt pattern for the both but I have not done that yet. The scribe would be off to the side of the torch.
I use a wire boom to carry both the air lines and the Plasma cable so I would need to parallel them to have both mounted at the same time. My electronics would use the same trigger plug output. For the plasma I just use the 2 outside pins for torch on/off. For the air solenoid the wiring has +5 volts on the center 2 pins this is used to operate the relay that triggers the air solenoid in series with the outside wires, a series circuit.
Here is how I did it for both the scribe and the router triggers with the blue and red wires reversed. Made active with output #1 from the BOB (m3 on & M5 off) Mach 3.
My controller has a 120VAC output for Aux 1 and Aux 2 (spindle in pins and ports in MACH3) So that is "Soft Switched"
This is what the PPLLC setup looks like. it has air down and air up.
Looks like this one 100mm slide I can make a bracket for that use similar Solenoids etc...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-MGPM-AIR-SL ... 258b88febc
filters oilers regulators and what not.
I am not exactly sure how it mounts...

How is it to get replacement tips for your scribe? Something readily available or ???
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Now you've done it Acourtjester! I ordered that Slide for $46

I did the math and can do a setup like shown above for about $320...

How hard is it to get the scribe tips?
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Doc Hollywood »

Kkroger,
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, as far as build vs buy, as many systems are out of my budget. I guess my question is, when u build one, source all the stuff work the bugs out ect, could u have spent that time doing customer work with a turn key system?

Is building a table easy enough to knock out the frame one weekend, and have it running and trying to get it tuned by the end of the next weekend? Using ppllc gantry, and a dragon cut from candcnc (with a hypertherm of course).
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

replacement tips
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/stylus ... 4uqrerpv41
$26. plus shipping

If you have enough business that you don't have the time to build then the smart thing is spend the money to make money.
I my case I just love building tools I built 4 tables sold 2 and one for my daughter. I still have a 4X4 with Hypertherm PM 65 and just bought CandCNC's DTHCIV to put on my table. The only paying customers for my cuttings have been those parts sold to guys that want to build tables like mine from my plans. Then I'm retired and that's fine with me.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Doc Hollywood wrote:Kkroger,
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, as far as build vs buy, as many systems are out of my budget. I guess my question is, when u build one, source all the stuff work the bugs out ect, could u have spent that time doing customer work with a turn key system?

Is building a table easy enough to knock out the frame one weekend, and have it running and trying to get it tuned by the end of the next weekend? Using ppllc gantry, and a dragon cut from candcnc (with a hypertherm of course).
Well typically the lead time on Turnkey systems seemed to run about 4 Weeks. Coincidently the same time frame as my CandCNC package...
I ordered the Gantry and Electronics at the same time, I built the table during my waiting time.
Gantry arrived two days after ordering, I built the table using the prints from PPLLC, So the table was complete when the electronics arrived. I went through the instructions with the electronics and the settings from PPLLC, I was cutting metal two days after I hooked it all up. Simple enough. I was running the router on day one...
The Scanning functions were installed several days after... And worked fine on day one.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

acourtjester wrote:replacement tips
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/stylus ... 4uqrerpv41
$26. plus shipping

If you have enough business that you don't have the time to build then the smart thing is spend the money to make money.
I my case I just love building tools I built 4 tables sold 2 and one for my daughter. I still have a 4X4 with Hypertherm PM 65 and just bought CandCNC's DTHCIV to put on my table. The only paying customers for my cuttings have been those parts sold to guys that want to build tables like mine from my plans. Then I'm retired and that's fine with me.
Commonly available CP tips, Good.
I found the scribe for $59.99 shipped
Linear Shaft Support for $17 Shipped
Solenoids for $25 Shipped
Filters, Regulators and oilers yet to be sourced.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”