Dessiccant/ Motor Guard Filter

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Dessiccant/ Motor Guard Filter

Post by Metriccar »

Has anyone gone from a 3 stage filter (such as the Sharpe unit for sale on this site) to a MotoGuard M60 filter?

How does the MotoGuard filter compare and how often do you have to replace the disposable elements?

Do you rejuvinate your dessiccant and how many cycles do you get out of it?
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Dessiccant/ Motor Guard Filter

Post by CNCCAJUN »

If you can justify it you would be very happy with a MacAIR Dryer sold on this site . . .

It is the only American Made Air Dryer under $1,000.00 . . . actually the only American made period . . .

I have a large High Temp MacAIR & I never see moisture, just really cool dry air . . .

Steve :D :D :D :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I bought the m60, but after talking to a guy who makes these (different company) and showed him, he told me to remove the m60 as it only catches oil. So I ditched it and went with something else.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Steve, do you still use a dessiccant along with the refirigerator?

How does the refrigerator work, do you have to turn it on for a while before you start cutting? Or is it left on all the time?
I can justify the refrigerator by longer consumable life, not going through consumables so much and not having to scrap metal due to moisture in the line.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I had a motorguard as well. The filters just seem to keep going up and up and up. I was using them up fairly quickly and was not really getting air that was extremely dry. I had a small desiccant filter between the motorguard and the plasma, was replacing the desiccant quite often (like once a week). I switched to a refrigerated air dryer, with a venturi type water separator before the air dryer, then right before the plasma is another venturi separator, a 3 micron coalescing filter, then a 2 lb desiccant filter. It's dry now for sure. I am getting 4-6 weeks out of the desiccant, yes I regen it in the oven, I don't know how many cycles I can get it hasn't given up yet but I have enough desiccant to run it 4 times before I have to bake any. I usually bake all but what is in the dryer at once, then go some more. I am averaging about 15-18,000 inches a week of cutting, but my mix is changing and I seem to be cutting more thick stuff lately, same amount of time with the torch on just less inches. More money though so I am cool with it. I bought a harbor freight air dryer, $500, showed up with a dent in the side but works like a champ. 5 year warranty, I will run it until it pukes then I will prob buy a Mac Air (had no idea they existed a few months ago). I do now that since I took the motorguard off I am getting better cuts, but it could just be that the air is drier hard to say. As far as when I turn my refrigerated drier on, I kick it on when I come in first thing in the morning, it's usually 10-15 min before I am cutting, it gets plenty cold enough in 5 to work just fine. It gets shut off when I leave for the night.

Shane
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Metriccar wrote:Steve, do you still use a dessiccant along with the refirigerator?

How does the refrigerator work, do you have to turn it on for a while before you start cutting? Or is it left on all the time?
I can justify the refrigerator by longer consumable life, not going through consumables so much and not having to scrap metal due to moisture in the line.
Right out of the compressor to a MacAIR filter that removes solid particles, water and oil from the compressed air system then to a MacAIR Dryer.

I walk into the shop, turn on the dryer, allow a very small bleed furthermost from dryer for about 3 minutes. Close valve and up and running with cool dry air . . . End of day . . . turn off dryer,close main valve coming off compressor, bleed air line system down through same "bleed" valve.

Never see "any" moisture past dryer. . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

If you are a competent welder I recommend you just build yourself a dryer. Check out oldsarge's post on the forum's here for a prime example http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 687#p58687
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

running the Mcair ref dryer have one motor guard before then oil separator then air dryer and one motor guard after that to plasma. May be over kill but no pressure drop and clean dry air in Fla humid environment.. Also have several drops en route to the filters..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I've been running my new setup for almost a month now, and my air is dryer than it's ever been! I know it's a bit cobbled together, but the stainless steel scrub pads seem to be doing an amazing job..... I get the slightest "puff" of moisture from the main tank, and not even that from the second tank.... The dump valves on the coalescing are always dry, and the compressor runs for a bit longer period of time, but if I'm not doing heavy cutting and grinding it only comes on once or twice a day!

Here's the build thread... if I can build one anyone can! http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14089

Mike
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Why can you not run it through the refrigerator first then the desiccant I you're not going through so many filters or desiccant to cut costs?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Piss senior you want to buy some cheeep silica-gel. :lol:
Vamoose down to Walmart and get some Mini Litter (cat litter) ;)
4 pounds for $4.17 what a deal
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I bought 5 lbs of desiccant off Amazon for $30. I'm giving that a try but ideally I would want to run the refrigerator only to not spend a dime or time on desiccant. I may have pulled the trigger on the refrigerator too soon (I bought one) with the hopes of cutting down on dessiccant use. A lot of the reviews on this $30 desiccant we're that it were low in powder. I don't want to be going to a hypertherm dealer in 6 months with having to explain why there is a bunch of kitty litter powder in my unit with then having a "this guy is an idiot" look on their face. If I were able to run the refrigerator first then cut the desiccant down to a quarter or less if be happy.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

ITS Crystalline NO DUST
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Oh, OK. It's been a while since I've used it (great for oil spills). I doubt it would jam up the plasma cutter anyways, I'm just saying with my luck getting cheap/creative I'd probably do something to it.:) I'll just see how this $30 desiccant will do for now. At least with it I can see it change colors.

Thanks.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”