Not impressed with exhaust kit

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Not impressed with exhaust kit

Post by Yellowstone »

Bought the exhaust fan kit off plasma spider. The tin foil hose for 50$ was a mistake. I does not fit the flange provided and ripped while trying to install it. Upon further research while looking for a replacement hose I found several cheaper fans that will pull more Cfm. Fan is ok but over priced, tin foil hose, it is total junk and doesn't fit. For 600$ there should be a real vinyl hose that fits. Amazon has several better options for half the price. I sent an email but didn't get a response so I figured I'd post. The Sampson table shroud dxf I got off this sight worked awesome though. Hope no one takes this the wrong way, I'm enjoying the site, but the exhaust kit,could use improvement.
Sampson 510, TD cutmaster 101, Snap n Cut, 10' x 14g finger brake, lots of Welders tig,mig, aluminum push pull, vantage 300, sa250d, Ford Trucks.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Not impressed with exhaust kit

Post by see&see »

First of all you would find out from any knowledgeable HVAC professional that using a 12" duct to move the amount of downdraft volume (3000 to 5000 CFM) a Sampson table needs is all but impossible unless you have the ability to regenerate the velocity and noise of a jet engine. I found this out the hard way myself... As explained to me by a professional it's like sucking air through a straw.. A good example are the various home heater downdraft & updraft ducts which are usually 16 to 18 inch in size moving much less air than a downdraft plasma table application needs.

I use 20" foil ducting on my plasma table with great success. 25' rolls are available for not over $75 on the net. Cut what you need and save the rest for later. The picture is showing a 20' Dayton China shutter fan I'm using but J&D Manufacturing makes much better ones in the USA available on Amazon.

I have a Sampson table coming for the new shop and I will be using the 6000 CFM fan in the below Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJ ... UTF8&psc=1

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

You're looking to move volume, go big duct with nice fans. I run the harbor freight fans and 12" duct with no issues though.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Yellowstone »

The fan is fine. With the shrouds and a few pieces of scrap aluminum sheet the smoke is almost non existant. The 12' foil duct is a joke. I am in a rented shop now and dont want to poke a bunch of holes all over that I would need to fix later next fall when I move into my new shop. the mobile duct is perfect for my application now, its just made of chinsy foil and had to be stuffed through the flange, instead of tightened around the outside. I have some large HVAC stuff in the works for the new shop.
Sampson 510, TD cutmaster 101, Snap n Cut, 10' x 14g finger brake, lots of Welders tig,mig, aluminum push pull, vantage 300, sa250d, Ford Trucks.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I did not have any problems with the duct. Other than I would destroy it while trying to move metal around. I got a non-flammable type for like $130 and it lasts much longer. The fan finally gave out. All the screws came out. I bought one off the internet for much cheaper with the same CFM. I run an extension cord to the outside and put the fan there, that's how I work. So my setup works better now.
K D Metalwerks
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by K D Metalwerks »

I bought a farm rated 21" 5000 cfm exhaust fan. Boxed fan in on exterior wall and ran 18" tube horizontally to a large box I had fabricated. All of this is in the attic of my shop. I ran 3 separate 12" tubes straight down to side of my 4x4 Plasmacam table. Connected those 3 tubes to a side panel on my table. Works great, even when almost completely uncovered.
K D Metal Werks
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Power Max 45
Hobart Handler 190 Mig
Niagara 3"x 36" Slip Roll 14ga
Driess/ Krumph 4' box & pan brake 16ga
Hossfeld #2 Bender Ridgid 700 threader
Pexto 137-1 16ga. Stomp Shear
MADE IN USA
taberahkj
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by taberahkj »

K D Metalwerks wrote:I bought a farm rated 21" 5000 cfm exhaust fan. Boxed fan in on exterior wall and ran 18" tube horizontally to a large box I had fabricated. All of this is in the attic of my shop. I ran 3 separate 12" tubes straight down to side of my 4x4 Plasmacam table. Connected those 3 tubes to a side panel on my table. Works great, even when almost completely uncovered.
Do you have any pictures of this setup? I would like to see it.
Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Yellowstone »

Metriccar wrote:I did not have any problems with the duct. Other than I would destroy it while trying to move metal around. I got a non-flammable type for like $130 and it lasts much longer. The fan finally gave out. All the screws came out. I bought one off the internet for much cheaper with the same CFM. I run an extension cord to the outside and put the fan there, that's how I work. So my setup works better now.
Bummer the fan gave out on you. I was hoping it was a quality unit at least. I managed to get the foil duct on the fan but not the flange. Hopefully this rig will work till I get in my new shop.
Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Yellowstone »

Administration just contacted me and are taking care of my issue. The German made fan is plenty for a 5x10 if you use the aforementioned table shrouds and cover your cut areas.

Thanks again plasma spider, your forum has been very helpful and informative for a newby table operator.
see&see

Post by see&see »

Yellowstone wrote:Administration just contacted me and are taking care of my issue. The German made fan is plenty for a 5x10 if you use the aforementioned table shrouds and cover your cut areas.
OK, are we learning something here? The solution becomes, if you completely cover all the open table areas, any open areas above the shrouds, as well as hustle to cover all areas opening up as the hot parts separate from the sheet or fall out, you should be good to go.

With total coverage like that, and make sure you have very low airflow from the plasma process kicking the smoke and heat back out behind the cut any bathroom fan from the big box store and a 4 inch duct tube will probably get the job done.... :roll:
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Yellowstone »

Not that bad really. I leave probably 25% of the table open and it pulls fine. Definitely not chasing the torch around. I guess it is relative, I've been welding for over 20 years so smoke is a part of the game. And I smoke.

A more durable duct and I'll be happy.
Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Yellowstone »

Thanks PS and I look forward to contributing more as I learn. If anyone has welding questions I'm always glad to help. I'm a CWE and a CAWI for now. I can strike an arc on most metals and have settings for most machines on hand. I build aluminum raft frames part time and do a lot of industrial work. My recent hire builds titanium bikes and has aerospace experience so feel free to pm questions. Cheers and happy new year.
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jawslandshark »

Not sure what fan you originally bought but the 12" Maxfan with rigid 12" duct works really well also. I think the fan was just under $300 and I spent another $150 or so on duct and some aluminum tape. The downdraft chamber took some modifications from my original design and I learned a little bit about channeling air. I have three welding blankets that I use to cover large open areas if I don't have a full sheet up.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I got one for ya, on a AWS D1.1 2G MGAW Weld Test for 1" plate, How wide of a bead can you run on the fill and is there a minimum number of passes?
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Yellowstone
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Yellowstone »

You know the answer. I'm api 1104.
If you have a real question feel free. MGAW is a new one to me. If you want to see my work check it out on Facebook Neff's Whitewater Customs. Happy new year
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

?? Confused..... But this should probably go into another thread anyways, not good to hijack. Sorry.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
K D Metalwerks

Post by K D Metalwerks »

Here are some pics of the downdraft system I built for my PlasmaCam DHC2 table. The actual fan is a 5500 cfm exhaust fan I purchased from a business that deals with farm animal items. It is 21" square and provides plenty of draw. I had a shroud built behind it that I attached an 18" spiral tube that connects to a box I made that is 12 feet from the fan. That box is directly above my plasma table. From there, I dropped (3) 12" diameter spiral tubes that connect to the side shroud on my table. This setup has plenty of draw to remove any smoke my table put may out. It even takes smoke out when the table top is almost completely exposed. During the winter, I only turn the fan on when cutting to reduce heat loss.

K D Metal Werks
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Power Max 45
Hobart Handler 190 Mig
Niagara 3"x 36" Slip Roll 14ga
Driess/ Krumph 4' box & pan brake 16ga
Hossfeld #2 Bender Ridgid 700 threader
Pexto 137-1 16ga. Stomp Shear
MADE IN USA
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

see&see wrote:First of all you would find out from any knowledgeable HVAC professional that using a 12" duct to move the amount of downdraft volume (3000 to 5000 CFM) a Sampson table needs is all but impossible unless you have the ability to regenerate the velocity and noise of a jet engine. I found this out the hard way myself... As explained to me by a professional it's like sucking air through a straw.. A good example are the various home heater downdraft & updraft ducts which are usually 16 to 18 inch in size moving much less air than a downdraft plasma table application needs.

I use 20" foil ducting on my plasma table with great success. 25' rolls are available for not over $75 on the net. Cut what you need and save the rest for later. The picture is showing a 20' Dayton China shutter fan I'm using but J&D Manufacturing makes much better ones in the USA available on Amazon.

I have a Sampson table coming for the new shop and I will be using the 6000 CFM fan in the below Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJ ... UTF8&psc=1
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever buy this fan and if so how well is it working out?
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

Yellowstone wrote:Bought the exhaust fan kit off plasma spider. The tin foil hose for 50$ was a mistake. I does not fit the flange provided and ripped while trying to install it. Upon further research while looking for a replacement hose I found several cheaper fans that will pull more Cfm. Fan is ok but over priced, tin foil hose, it is total junk and doesn't fit. For 600$ there should be a real vinyl hose that fits. Amazon has several better options for half the price. I sent an email but didn't get a response so I figured I'd post. The Sampson table shroud dxf I got off this sight worked awesome though. Hope no one takes this the wrong way, I'm enjoying the site, but the exhaust kit,could use improvement.
Can you post a link to the Sampson table shroud. I searched but couldn't find it. Must be using the wrong search terms. Thanks
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tylerd »

Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Anyone with a plasmacam and downdraft should use the table topbedge shroud showing on this thread. It does help. http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... ud#p132238
see&see

Post by see&see »

tylerd wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever buy this fan and if so how well is it working out?
Yes, the fan was purchased. I'm just getting it set up now, had the hole cut in the 8 inch concrete block wall. We did quite a bit more work around the 5x10 table and in the shop. In the picture we are removing the door wall cutout. The new 16' wide x14' high roll-up door was installed after the wall was cut and then we tilted the cookie out so there was no big heat loss during the door install.. The cookie had to tilt to the inside as trim was hanging over on the outside. The notch in the cookie was the old man door we moved over to another wall.

The door people were top professionals experienced in this type of blind door install as were saw-cut people.

More info in this thread link below.

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 50#p138850

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”