Air Compressor- Any opinion on this?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Air Compressor- Any opinion on this?

Post by 9er »

I have the chance to pick this unit up. It's an Ingersoll-Rand 10HP screw compressor. I believe 120 gallons.
It's 3 phase, which I have, the seller said he's not sure of the voltage but thinks it's been wired at 200/230. He bought it and never hooked it up because he does not have 3 phase or a converter.
Looks to be in pretty good shape although its labeled 1992 which in my mind is pretty old for a compressor of unknown service records.

Anyone have any experience with this unit or one like it? Anything I should look for? I don't think there's any way to run it before I buy so I'm a little concerned. He is a trusted seller so that's good.

I've always had vertical 60-80 gallon, single phase units so this would be a big step up.

Thanks,

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Air Compressor- Any opinion on this?

Post by SONIC »

Depends on the price.
Take the belts off and make sure it spins by hand, and that the motor spins freely with no noise.
My main compressor is from 1976 15hp and runs 8hrs a day every day. No worries.
I wouldn't think twice about a compressor from 92 assuming it runs now it should run for the foreseeable future.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Here is a vid with some info...

https://youtu.be/FJy1cIU23So
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 9er »

Thanks,
I believe I can pick up the unit for about a grand.

Will take another trip up there and see if I can spin it and take a closer look.

Any other input appreciated.
Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

Another thought after looking at the specs for that unit,
It's only putting out 34cfm, which is about the same as a 10hp piston comp, so unless you need the noise reduction I don't see a big improvement other than noise. It also runs at 125psi, I don't know what you'd use it for but we run all of our air tools at 135-140psi.

I built an insulated room for my piston compressor and it's barely noticeable when running.
Piston type is much easier (and cheaper) to work on if necessary.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

We bought an Ingersoll Rand UP6-15CTAS (Total air system with condenser and refrig dryer 15 HP 480 volt 50 CFM) late model screw compressor late last year that was overstock on sale for 7K shipped. I just got it up on the wall a week or so ago. It's so quiet I can't hear anything but a hum when it's running.

I've always had to put the piston compressors outside in the freezing cold because of the vibration and noise. You could set a glass of water on top when it's running and it wouldn't even make ripples. This IR model PSI was adjusted to 150 but I turned it up to 160 for a bit to see what it would do. I have it set back down to 150 now, it makes air so fast in the 120 gallon tank I figured 150 PSI was plenty of air.

Had to wire in 480 volts 3 PH and 120 VAC as well for the dryer. I've still got to build the air manifold, the temporary hoses are just dangling on the wall for now. Some of the older screw compressors run constant and just unload at max set pressure. Most of the new ones are adjustable to turn off at 15 seconds to 10 minutes after set pressure is reached. You adjust shut off time to keep the motor from stopping and starting depending on how much air is being used. It's set for 20 seconds now as we are not using a lot of air yet.

I saw the street price jump to 8800.00 on these after the first of the year but I bet you could find one used or overstock for much less. I think that UP10H will pump 150 PSI but throws a bit more load on the motor. I'l try and find out but with good 3 PH voltage running I don't see why u can't get 150 PSI.

You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
greggomc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by greggomc »

The nameplate says it is 460 volt.
It does not say 460/230 volt.
Just make sure you can use it before you waste your money.
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 9er »

Noise is always a concern since all of our equipment is indoors. This unit will run the plasma and engraver only.
Nice set-up see&see
Yes, the plate does say 460. But turns out the motor is 230/460 so I think we're good.

I trust the seller and think I can get it for about $1000 so should be worth a shot. All the new compressors I'm looking at are $4000+ so this could certainly help the budget and fit the bill for quite a while.
Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
see&see

Post by see&see »

There's a couple changes you probably have to do when stepping down from 480 volts. IR normally puts a small transformer in the box to run the control board. It's an epoxy resin varnish type to step down from 480 to 120 VAC and easy to find. These transformers are very common and less than 50 bucks most places as they don't usually last very long.

If your not handy with commercial electrical you should have an electrician look at this. The transformer voltage output of 120 VAC can be substituted by one of the low leg voltage feeds in your 240 VAC 3 phase and the neutral connection. That would eliminate the transformer which is a big plus down the road.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

Screw compressors like to run for longer times than reciprocating compressors. Meaning they don't play nice with lots of starts and stops. That is why they will have an unloader valve lots of times instead of a pressure switch like on a reciprocating compressor. They are great for a blasting cabinet that requires a lot of air but stopping and starting the screw will wear it out prematurely. Maybe the newest technology has been perfected. I mostly owned big screw compressors and vane compressors run by big diesel motors. We had several over 1000cfm and lots of 360cfm compressors and they ran without a hitch.
see&see

Post by see&see »

I've heard stopping and starting screw compressors wasn't good but nobody I can find has really explained any specific reason. I've been in contact with this retired compressor engineer and he has a real nice blog on compressors and a bunch of other info and I'm sure he could shed some light on this.

http://www.air-compressor-guide.com/lea ... ssors-work

We have several diesel powered screw compressors, one of them has been around for 30 years or more and still pumps air like it was new.. Although this type of screw compressor is flooded with oil around the rotors all the time. But that makes for excellent lubrication when using jack hammers and rock drills but of course would not be good for plasma torch operation..
Black Forest wrote:Screw compressors like to run for longer times than reciprocating compressors. Meaning they don't play nice with lots of starts and stops. That is why they will have an unloader valve lots of times instead of a pressure switch like on a reciprocating compressor. They are great for a blasting cabinet that requires a lot of air but stopping and starting the screw will wear it out prematurely. Maybe the newest technology has been perfected. I mostly owned big screw compressors and vane compressors run by big diesel motors. We had several over 1000cfm and lots of 360cfm compressors and they ran without a hitch.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I found this video from NYC CNC interesting regarding screw compressors. Not sure it would make sense for me, vs a piston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JV0z8_KsI
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

All concerns seem to be with the mechanical aspect. I would be worried about the integrity of the tank on something that old.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

Hi there for what it is worth be sure that the motor is really a multi voltage type as Ingersol/rand is known for single voltage motors when you get into the 3 phase side of some of there compressors, very common on the I/R VFD drive compressors. 460 volt only motors are not uncommon with I/R.
As for the air tank you can always pull a tank bung plug ,large generally 2 npt pipe plugs on the ends and look inside, just be sure there is no air pressure in the tank before you pull plug. I would think that the tank would most likely be in good condition though.
see&see

Post by see&see »

Speaking of VFD compressors.. Look at this link to e-bay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-AIR-25-HP-VF ... rmvSB=true

I don't know much about US Air but sounds like an offshore manufacture.. 115 CFM 25 HP screw with VFD for under 6K... hmmmmm Got me wondering.. :roll: But oil flooded screw does NOT sound good for plasma air...
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 9er »

Thanks everybody.

So I picked it up with the agreement I'd try it out. Needs some love but got it wired, checked the coolant/oil, filters and it fired right up.
One thing- It makes a ton of cool air! I'm going from 11 cfm to 34 cfm
Second thing- It's louder than expected. About 80db. Sounds like a factory back in the shop.

With our shop requirements I don't think this thing will even break a sweat. So without too much concern for heat, we can make a sound enclosure around it to reduce the noise.

Will mess with it some more this week and see how goes.
Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
see&see

Post by see&see »

That 34 CFM is probably a bit noisier than the newer models. The newer cabinets are insulated quite well and with the front cover off the Ingersoll Rand UP6-15CTAS is much more noisier, at least 80 db. Factory specs say 69 db at 3 feet but to me it sounds like less even with my hearing aids turned up. :lol:

I watched the NYC CNC video and the Atlas Copco screw compressor was quite a bit noisier than ours from the video sound. I did get some good ideas on looping the air system around the shop using 1 inch tubing and 3/4" RapidAir drops.

What pressure range on the on/off air cycle does that 1992 Ingersoll-Rand 10HP screw compressor have?
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 9er »

see&see wrote:

What pressure range on the on/off air cycle does that 1992 Ingersoll-Rand 10HP screw compressor have?

Offline 78-128
Online 68-115

I can't seem to find any info or manual so I'm just winging it.
Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
see&see

Post by see&see »

They gave me with the compressor a master IR manual cd with a hundred manuals or so wrapped in a nice plastic CD box..

I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can find for U10H-SP...
see&see

Post by see&see »

Looks like the CD IR gave me goes back to 2000 compressors. The U10H-SP looks like a limited production model from what I can find out.. You could do a search on the 900 or so manuals the IR site has as it's probably there somewhere.. I've been there before and it's a long process though..
9er
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 9er »

Yeah, I looked on their site and browsed through them all. This is a hard unit to find any info on.
I'll try to reach out to them with little expectation.

We'll just service it and wing it. Worked a very good deal on it so we don't have much to lose.

Thanks for everything.
Arclight Arc Pro 12000
Hypertherm PM85
see&see

Post by see&see »

I'd buy that compressor in a minute for a grand! Especially if you have 240 VAC 3 phase available.

This shop we just bought with 480 VAC had 4 step-down transformers to 240 volts because he had 4 businesses running. The owner left me two new 75 KW high efficiency transformers and I'm just using one and dropped the power bill from $200 a month down to $65 with not too much going on yet in the shop. We're running 1" Maxline overhead and plan to loop the whole shop in 1" with 3/4" drop downs similar to what NYC CNC did in their video.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”