any showrooms or dealers on the east coast?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
wvtbone73
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

any showrooms or dealers on the east coast?

Post by wvtbone73 »

Hello,

Hoping to find a dealer or a showroom or something within 3 hours drive of Charleston WV? I'm in the markert for a cnc router/plasma cutter table. I"ve been doing a lot of research but can't find anything close to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: any showrooms or dealers on the east coast?

Post by jimcolt »

Most of the manufacturers of cnc plasma or cnc routers that are in the entry level or light industrial, lower cost end of the market...sell direct from the factory to the end user, therefore no dealers or showrooms. You could check in with your local welding supply distributors (plasma) or sign supply dealers (router) to see if they were aligned with any of the manufacturers in these markets. The dealers may have customer sites that you could visit. The best bet to get opinions on performance, cut quality, after sale support etc. is to post right here....or on a few other sites that also cater to these machines. Identify your requirements (material sizes, thicknesses, cut part accuracy, productivity needs as well as budget) and many posters here will respond.

There are over 100 plasma cnc plasma manufacturers and probably 25 router companies. Having one machine that can do both plasma and routing poses a lot of issues related to speeds, torque, acceleration, handling molten metal or sawdust, fume control, material bed/hold down designs, etc. While there are a few combo machines....they are more in the hobbyist , low productivity area based on the time it takes to adequately switch from one process to the other in a manner that provides acceptable performance and safety with each.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
wvtbone73
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by wvtbone73 »

Thanks Jim,
I"ve been looking at Plasmacam, plasmaroutecnc, bulltear and several others. From Oklahoma to Minnesota but nothing very close. I think support would be a big issue for a newbie so thought maybe I was overlooking a company that may be in my back door. Thanks for the reply.

My wife and I both have CADD degrees and she has been making decorations and crafty things out of 16 and 20 gauge stainless. We have accress to a laser cutter that we can rent once or twice a month for an hourly rate. That is nice but your at the mercy of someone else's schedule. Getting a lot of our designs from autocad or photoshop over into Gcode (is what I'm guessing the laser uses) can be a pain at times. Again, your depending on someone else to covert your ideas.

Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated. I have a full time job and support us, the plasma cutter would be for hobbies and for making a little extra cash at local shows. We aren't trying to make a living from it.
Thanks again!
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Hi wvtbone73, with the internet everyone is in your back door. I purchased a Arclight pro9600 2 years ago and have never looked back. I knew nothing about cad or a CNC machine at the time but with the training from Arclight and all their videos on youtube I was cutting like a pro the first day. Wishing you luck.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

wvtbone73, I think your best bet is going to be to ask around and find out who has tables in their garages at home that would let you come and hang out with them. After you see a few running in person you'll know better what you want and don't want. If you were closer to me I wouldn't mind at all (Central Florida). I built my table myself and love showing it off. There are a few facebook groups that get a lot more traffic than this site does that would be an excellent place to ask. Try "Turn and Burn - Custom CNC Plasma tips, tricks, and sharing", "CNC plasma tips, tricks, and sharing", and "plasma cnc metal fabrication" for starters. Once you join a few groups more start popping up as suggestions.
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

I haven't made the trip myself yet, but LDR Motion Systems is in NY which depending on how far north you live could be a drive away. From what I've heard on here they are very open to visitors and have great tables to offer.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
fabjunkie
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fabjunkie »

I second LDR. I'm biased but I drove from Dallas to get my machine with a lot of other options much closer.
LDR 5x10, Scribe
Hypertherm PM85, Miller 211
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TMC »

I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have a Dynatorch SuperB 4x4 and Hypertherm PMX85. I may be considering selling if your interested
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”