Adapter fittings for plastic drums

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Adapter fittings for plastic drums

Post by Simko »

I am ready to plumb in my drums for the water table and bought what I though I needed to make it work, but it appears that I may have gotten some bad info from the interwebs.

The plastic drums have two bungs on them. One is a coarse thread which I have found is called a 2" buttress thread, and from what I read, the other is supposed to be a 2" NPT (taper). The problem is that I believe that it is actually a 2" NPS (straight).

If I try to install a 2" NPT PVC fitting, it only threads in about two turns before getting really tight where the plug that came with the drum threads in 4 or 5 turns and seals on the gasket, not on the threads.

I was hoping to be able to use 2" NPT PVC fittings to hook up to the 2" fine thread bung.

What have other people done that are using drums for cutting fluid storage? Coat the PVC fitting in silicone/sealant and crank it in... or is there a proper adapter for the fine thread hole?

I did quite a bit of Google searching and didn't turn up anything. There are plenty of adapters from the 2" buttress thread to 2" PVC, but none from the 2" fine thread to 2" PVC. :?:
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Adapter fittings for plastic drums

Post by see&see »

At one time we were in the moonshine beer business and needed a bunch of drum adapters. :mrgreen:

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/bucapad ... #gsc.tab=0

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/mater ... -coverters
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Simko wrote:I am ready to plumb in my drums for the water table and bought what I though I needed to make it work, but it appears that I may have gotten some bad info from the interwebs.

The plastic drums have two bungs on them. One is a coarse thread which I have found is called a 2" buttress thread, and from what I read, the other is supposed to be a 2" NPT (taper). The problem is that I believe that it is actually a 2" NPS (straight).

If I try to install a 2" NPT PVC fitting, it only threads in about two turns before getting really tight where the plug that came with the drum threads in 4 or 5 turns and seals on the gasket, not on the threads.

I was hoping to be able to use 2" NPT PVC fittings to hook up to the 2" fine thread bung.

What have other people done that are using drums for cutting fluid storage? Coat the PVC fitting in silicone/sealant and crank it in... or is there a proper adapter for the fine thread hole?

I did quite a bit of Google searching and didn't turn up anything. There are plenty of adapters from the 2" buttress thread to 2" PVC, but none from the 2" fine thread to 2" PVC. :?:
I had this same issue a couple of years ago when building my water bladder. You are correct, they are NOT self-sealing pipe threads. I ended up getting some toilet washers to place between the plastic fitting and the barrel. 2 years later, none are leaking. Here's my setup, about 1/2 way down the page:

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=21850

As I was experiencing the problem, and the fix:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-too ... -seal.html
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by lockeyone »

Here is mine. Seems I got everything I needed at out local Menards store. Fittings felt a little loose but an extra wrap of teflon tape seemed to work. Only wisdom I can add is don't forget to vent. The two holes at the top was after my first test and had burping/bubbling going as liquid was trying to drain to barrel. Next time I'll plumb a proper vent. 4x4 table and I only needed one barrel. Fill time is about 5 minutes tops, drain is 2 minutes.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

see&see wrote:At one time we were in the moonshine beer business and needed a bunch of drum adapters. :mrgreen:

These are perfect! I don't know why my searching didn't pull them up. Thanks!

Thanks everyone else for the ideas also!
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

see&see wrote:At one time we were in the moonshine beer business and needed a bunch of drum adapters. :mrgreen:

I put four fittings in the shopping cart - $22, almost ready to check out and then I see the cheapest shipping option is $25 :shock:. It seems little outrageous, but they are the only company that has drum adapters to 2" NPT.

I'm going to keep searching, but I will most likely have to pay the crazy shipping charges.
Steve

see&see

Post by see&see »

That is outrageous.. I don't remember them being that high.. If you can find any sku of mfg numbers they probably are for sale somewhere at much less shipping charge.. If you have any numbers of what you need post them here and we'll give it a go...
Simko wrote:

I put four fittings in the shopping cart - $22, almost ready to check out and then I see the cheapest shipping option is $25 :shock:. It seems little outrageous, but they are the only company that has drum adapters to 2" NPT.

I'm going to keep searching, but I will most likely have to pay the crazy shipping charges.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

I did some measuring of the bung holes (lol) and I am 99.44% sure that the coarse one is an S64x5 thread and other one is what they call a BCS G2 x 11.5 thread.

These are the two that I am looking at:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater ... ipe-thread

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater ... n20b20n027

Not sure about the first one... part of the description shows that it is NPT and another part shows that it is BSP :? I was going to hope that it was NPT. LOL

I did quite a bit of searching of different part names and Mfg part numbers but didn't turn up anything. I was going to start looking at bulkhead fittings and say forget messing with these bung holes.
Steve

tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

$22, almost ready to check out and then I see the cheapest shipping option is $25
My theory on crap like this is: How much time am I going to waste trying to beat the shipping. It's a simple solution to your problem. The cheapest route is probably USPS Large flat rate which is $17.85 so you are really only trying to save $8! You'll make that in no time when you are up and cutting.
Good Luck!!! JMHO
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

tnbndr wrote:
$22, almost ready to check out and then I see the cheapest shipping option is $25
My theory on crap like this is: How much time am I going to waste trying to beat the shipping. It's a simple solution to your problem. The cheapest route is probably USPS Large flat rate which is $17.85 so you are really only trying to save $8! You'll make that in no time when you are up and cutting.
Good Luck!!! JMHO
You are right and I will probably end up buying them and paying the shipping. In a world of Amazon Prime with free 2-day shipping it hits hard when you have to pay $25 for 10-13 day shipping.

I just can't believe that there isn't some other vendor selling these items. I would have though that adapters for a standard US plastic drum to NPT fittings would have been more common.
Steve

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

this may help, When I have identified something I want to buy and have a model number or part description I go to eBay some time the shipping is better of I find other vendors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Female-Npt-Pi ... Swh2xX-iFi
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
see&see

Post by see&see »

Good point courtjester. Another one is Zoro, ships everything for free over $50 and they are the wholesale arm of Grainger with all the same products, prices are 20 to 30% cheaper. Also, Zoro sends out 20 to 30% coupons all the time so prices can be as much as 50% under retail.

This one at Amazon is $15 and free ship..

https://www.amazon.com/Banjo-TA283-Poly ... e+Buttress
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

I ended up slightly modifying my plan and I was able to find the fittings I needed at US Plastic. I plumbed it in pretty much like I found in a post here by ltbald1. I have it filled full with water right now and I'm going to let it sit overnight to make sure there aren't any leaks. Looks good so far after a few hours.
IMG_3162.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Steve

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”