Double cutting?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Alabass
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Double cutting?

Post by Alabass »

I'm still a newbie to CNC and have a couple of questions. Finally got things figured out enough to make some successful cuts but know just enough to be dangerous. Why is it, sometimes when I use generic DXF files, the post processor code has the controller cutting the pattern again over the previous cuts? I mean, after it completes the cut, it starts over in the same place and cuts the whole thing again if I don't stop it. I'm using SheetCam and Mach3. Also, does everyone use a water pan? I don't have one with my table and thinking of building one if it's necessary. What's there an advantage to having one other than catching dross, sparks, etc?

Thanks
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Double cutting?

Post by Bobkovacs »

Sounds like it's not removing duplicate vectors when it creates the cutting operation, which my version of SheetCam does automatically. Have you tried opening the dxf in some editing software to see if there are multiple vectors on the same line?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

It could be that you have a duplicate part on top of the original, I have done that a few times! using multiple duplicate with the nesting tool it's easy done
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

Make sure you're not downloading files that have cut paths on them too. Some files you'll get for free have the cut path added to the drawing that shows as a second line on the drawing if you zoom in on it. If you use sheetcam on a file like that you would get 2 separate paths.
Alabass
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Alabass »

Thanks for the replies!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

You need some method of removing or catching the dust that Plasma cutting produces. I use a water table, but other's like other types, it is a fine metallic dust and will get into and all over everything. :(
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Fcapt10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Fcapt10 »

Watch that you dont have more than one layer selected in sheetcam when you run the post processer.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

I have seen DXF files where there are lines that have been turned into "objects " and have a Thickness equal to the line width in the drawing and it puts two lines in parallel but they are not exactly in top of each other so you get two cut paths and SheetCAM does not complain. it would have to be in the DXF file to begin with.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

Here's my opinion on the water table; just do it! There are many ways to build them, and really the only thing that matters is that it holds water and you can raise or lower the level. I built my own table out of 2x4 tubing, then welded a sheet of 12 ga to the bottom, added a drain that runs into the base of a drum, then put an air fitting and ball valve into the top of the drum. Add air to the drum and it fills the bed with water, the positive pressure in the drum keeps the water in the bed, then to drain the table I disconnect the air hose and open the ball valve, the table will drain in a matter of minutes. I have seen many elaborate ways to build water tables that are beautiful, and look at home at NASA, but my system cost me less than $100 and I love it.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

water basins also cool the metal, reduce warping, and its fun to tell your friends that you have a water table!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”