Hello from Aus

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hello from Aus

Post by johno down under »

Hi all, I thought it was about time I said hello! I have been lurking about this site for a few months now checking out a lot of the info that you have to offer.
I'm about to become a total newby to this hobby (it will be a hobby to me) I have been looking at what is on offer here in Australia and we don't have any where near what you guys have, our choices of machinery are limited.
I have always had an interest in metal work and have made a few things for home and friends, the hard way.. all by hand!
So I'm about to splash out and get a new toy, the trouble is every time I get enough dollars together, the exchange rate changes and I have to look for a few more dollars.
As I said being a total newby at this, I thought the best way for me to go would be to buy a complete out fit. So, I am hoping it will be "plug and play" and I should be able to start doing a few projects.
Here is Aus we have a company that import the plasma cam systems, and they complete them with a few options and offer some backup services. I finally decided to get one this month (they have a bit of a special deal this month) I decided on a Samson 510 outfit, I will be limited to a powermax 45 (I only have single phase power (240 volts) all up I am looking at $32 grand delivered!!
So, I would like to say thanks for the info that I have retrieved from your site so far, and hope that you don't mind some rookie questions in the future :roll:
Cheers Johno
Last edited by johno down under on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from Aus

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard when lurking I sure you saw this is a friendly site, many here are happy to help and many are hobby types. You will be able to ask general questions and there is a section for Samson users if you need a specific answer about your table.
Great place to pick up interesting projects either in files or inspiration for your own, please pass on your's also. :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

You can run a PowerMax 65 on 240v 1ph.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I do with mine :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Welcome to Plasma Spider.
I was lucky enough to make 2 trips to Sidney when I was on leave from Vietnam. Great country and wonderful people! :D

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

You can also run a powermax 85 on single phase with no problems, I can't speak for the other models, but I know for a fact that mine can be wired for either or, and I have been running it pretty hard on single phase for a couple years. However I have moved from cutting 1/2" plate on a daily basis to mostly running fine cut consumable on 10 ga at 45 amps. You will be happy with your unit, just wanted to let you know you can go up to 85 amp units on standard single phase.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good evening Johno.
there are a few of us from Au here on this forum. Welcome and have fun playing. $32k I know what you mean ouch!
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Thanks for the welcome people, I'm still lurking!! :lol: I've been on this site for a few hours tonight admiring the work that you guys have put on display, I can only hope that one day I will be good enough to show you my work.
Congratulations people some excellent work.
WyoGreen wrote:Welcome to Plasma Spider.
I was lucky enough to make 2 trips to Sidney when I was on leave from Vietnam. Great country and wonderful people! :D Steve

This is a great country WyoGreen, and I am hoping some of the things that I will make will reflect some of the things around me here....... Oh I hope Sidney enjoyed your visit, who ever he is :P (SYDNEY AUSTRALIA)
djreiswig wrote:You can run a PowerMax 65 on 240v 1ph.
I questioned my supplier about that today and he now tells me that what you say is correct, but he also said that they do not import the 65 as there was not much call for it. For what we would pay for them here in AUS it was only $50 to go to the 85 so most people have gone for the bidder unit
hsolve wrote:Good evening Johno.
there are a few of us from Au here on this forum. Welcome and have fun playing. $32k I know what you mean ouch!
G'day mate! ;) ;) good to talk to a local, so to speak! which part of aus are you in ??
Have you been cutting for a while?? it would be good to be able to bounce a few questions of a local.
I take it then that you would of payed out the same sort of dollars for a unit. I will be getting mine through "metal form group" in Melbourne, they seem to have the best deals going.

Again thanks for the welcome guys.
Cheers Johno
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Johno, great to see another Aussie on board. $32k is a big number so I don't feel so bad putting $6k-8k into a home built table, not to mention 13 months of effort. I finally cut my first useful part today after buying stuff in June last year. Still so much to do....

Maybe one day I will have a high quality Aussie made plasma table available for people like you but thats was never my intention. its just I now have so much confidence that what I've built is that good!
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good evening Johno.
I built mine from scratch. Just to let you know 2.5years ago I went through the process you have, However decided to get a plasmacam 1200 by 1200mm machine. Was going to travel to Tamworth to get it but got a phone call and was directed to go to 'Metal form' in Melbourne. Cut a long story short, the guy that was to do the demo was so convinced that I would buy the machine (I traveled from the gong in a truck to collect it) that he didn't bother. Got some Indian guy to do the demo. I didn't know anything about the machine, but I even could see that he didn't have a handle on it's operation. Long story short, left without getting anything. After that decided to build one myself, how hard could it be!
Any way after all that I how am much happier that I built one my self as I can route and flat bed mill on it. It has much greater capacity that the plasmacam. What you are getting is just bigger and let no one tell you that is dosn't work. The local TAFE has one and it goes quite well. If as you wanted a turn key system, these are quite good. One guy up the road from me has one and does some fancy stuff on his. I just couldn't stomach that amount of cash
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

hsolve wrote:Good evening Johno.
Was going to travel to Tamworth to get it but got a phone call and was directed to go to 'Metal form' in Melbourne. Cut a long story short, the guy that was to do the demo was so convinced that I would buy the machine (I traveled from the gong in a truck to collect it) that he didn't bother. Got some Indian guy to do the demo. I didn't know anything about the machine, but I even could see that he didn't have a handle on it's operation. Long story short, left without getting anything. After that decided to build one myself, how hard could it be!
G'day again.... oh oh ! your story is the same as mine!??? :o I was going to go to Tamworth, but I was told about there "back up service" and decided to go with the Melbourne crew..... hope I'm doing the right thing!?
I was talking to them yesterday trying to find out if there was one operating closer to me here in Bathurst, but no one wants to show me there machine ??
So now it is either a trip to Melbourne, or wait until they are in the area at the local field day in Orange... Thing is they are on special this month @ $28,000 plus the gst then they go back up to $33,900!!!
decisions, decisions!! :roll: :roll:
Cheers Johno
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Did you look at the Swiftcuts from Hare and Forbes? I usually manage to get 10% off on machines there.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/P9010
Mtw fdu
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mtw fdu »

Another aussie here!! I am from SA. Welcome aboard.

This is a great site. I got a lot of help when I first got on here and it hasn't stopped at all. Everyone are more than happy to help.

Everyone loves pics of past projects as well as new ones as well.

Mtw fdu.
Camcutcnc 4 x 4 plasma cutter with UC 100 Motion Controller
Powermax 45 with Machine Torch
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning johno down under
I am not aware regarding the backup service from the Tamworth guys, they seemed quite fine. The problem you have, is you don't find out what a suppliers service is like till you get a machine. Then and only then do you realize whether is was a good purchase or not. I know for a fact at the time I was in the market, the feeling from the Melbourne group was 'VERY POOR'. After research I knew the machinery was capable to do what I wanted, however what I was after was the backup. If something goes wrong or how the get out what I am wanting, how do you do that and what is the easiest way. That is what I was paying for, I traveled 1800km and 24hrs for nothing. To say I was pi@@@d was an understatment.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”