mini machine torch arcing out to z-axis wtf?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

mini machine torch arcing out to z-axis wtf?

Post by tnttracy »

any body else had this happen? and can i buy a new shield/ shroud/ thingy?

been at the cnc plas thing bit and admit i hardly pay attention, most of the time hit run and walk away until it quits making noise. i run a candcnc on precision plas homebuilt set up. the torch was arching out to the holder and damn near destroyed the torch head. it was a need it now job at the wee hours of the morn so i used some redneck tech to make it cut but wtf? how did it get through the fiber cover thing and take out a mounting bolt and the cap seated switch??? i jumped the switch and wrapped the torch for the time being but what do i do now? have not been able to locate replacement parts.

tia! hope somebody can give some insight
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: mini machine torch arcing out to z-axis wtf?

Post by jimcolt »

Can you show a picture of the torch mounted on your machine? Here are things that can cause the torch to arc to the z axis mounting:

1. If torch is clamped by the retaining cap....it is just a matter of time and plasma dust buildup before arcing and damage will occur.
2. If torch body is covered with cutting dust. This dust is metallic and can create a patch between the top (exposed brass) of the retaining cap and the torch mount. Keep a plasma torch wiped off as often as possible.
3. If retaining cap is burned, cracked or otherwise damaged.

Hypertherm recommends that torches are properly mounted by the mounting sleeve. I have seen arcing occur from the top of the retaining cap to the torch mount on a number of occasions if the torch is not mounted as designed.

Jim Colt Hypertherm.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”