Software Workflow, Speed, Ease of Use

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Rdwfab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Software Workflow, Speed, Ease of Use

Post by Rdwfab »

Deleted
Last edited by Rdwfab on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rdwfab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Rdwfab »

Deleted
Last edited by Rdwfab on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I use the 3-flow-setup. Drawing -> CAM (Sheetcam) -> control software (CommandCNC). I prefer this setup to an all in one setup (Plasmacam Designedge, Torchmate, etc). I like doing in my drawing in software that is created for, and specific to, drawing. I usually use CorelDraw, but have access to SolidWorks as well. I like the flexibility and tools these have available, being mature programs that have focused on drafting. They are popular and common in industry, there are TONS of instructional videos available, and a Google search will likely get an answer for you, because they are so prolific (and used professionally). Compared to installed seats of CorelDraw, installed seats of PlasmaCam DesignEdge is going to be minuscule.

I have a plasma table, laser, 3d printer(s), and a vinyl cutter. I LOVE that I can use CorelDraw to create for ALL of them. I only have to remember tabs, menus, shortcuts, buttons, etc for a single program. Then I just export the created file (in appropriate format, .svg, .dxf, .dwg, etc) to the software that runs the specific machine.

I'd be pissed off if I had to learn how to draw in a program JUST for the plasma (ie, DesignEdge), a program JUST for the laser (ie, RDWorks), a program JUST for the vinyl cutter (ie, DesignStudio), and a program JUST for the 3d printers, etc.

The plasma table has it's own control computer, which is running Linux. My drawing/general use computer is a Windows machine, and it's downstairs. Because of this, if I need to adjust the drawing for some reason, I have to run back downstairs to do it. CorelDraw doesn't run on Linux. I do have QCAD on the Linux machine, if I need to make basic alterations (hole sizes, line lengths, etc). The Linux and Windows machine have a shared drive/folder, so I can transfer Sheetcam Job files or .tap/.ngc cut files between them without issue. The software for the other machine is windows-based, so it's all on the same machine as Corel.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

motoguy wrote: I'd be pissed off if I had to learn how to draw in a program JUST for the plasma (ie, DesignEdge), a program JUST for the laser (ie, RDWorks), a program JUST for the vinyl cutter (ie, DesignStudio), and a program JUST for the 3d printers, etc.
I would too..... That's why I design for my plasma, laser, and vinyl cutter in DesignEdge..... It's a 2d program so really doesn't apply to the 3d part.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

rdj357 wrote:I would too..... That's why I design for my plasma, laser, and vinyl cutter in DesignEdge..... It's a 2d program so really doesn't apply to the 3d part.
Good deal. There are definitely several ways to skin this particular cat.

Flashcut would be another consideration for an all-in-one standalone system. Looks like it is several thousand dollars, but that is in line with the Plasmacam Designedge cost. It is my understanding that the Westcott Design2Cut software is largely, if not completely, rebranded flashcut.
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Borntofabricate »

Motoguy, there's nothing to prevent you from drawing in your preferred program, i.e. Corel Draw, and then importing the dxf into DesignEdge.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Borntofabricate wrote:Motoguy, there's nothing to prevent you from drawing in your preferred program, i.e. Corel Draw, and then importing the dxf into DesignEdge.
Correct. That's what I do with Sheetcam, Rdworks, and DesignStudio. The ability to do this is exactly why I like having focused, off-the-shelf, professional software for each step.

Since Coreldraw is a professional level drawing program, it can export into a plethora of different file formats. This comes in extremely handy when customers are sending in their drawings, or need them from me. I can open up a seemingly endless number of drawing formats in coreldraw, and then move them to whatever machine needs them, in the format that machine needs. Benefits like this are why I like to design in Coreldraw (or Solidworks) and then export to the control software for the machine of choice.

I'm not sure that would work in the reverse. Can you open svg, ai, eps, pdf, dwg, dxf, cdr, etc files in Designedge, and then export to any one of the other formats? It's my understanding you have to have the DesignEdge Advanced before you can even export to DXF. I don't know if it includes the ability to export to those other file formats as well.

I'm not saying my way is the best way, I just feel it is the best way for me. I feel it affords me the most versatility.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned FlashCut CNC as a solution. CAD, CAM and CNC all in one.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Black Forest wrote:I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned FlashCut CNC as a solution. CAD, CAM and CNC all in one.
I mentioned it 3 posts up. As far as I can tell, Flashcut (or the Westcott Design2Cut version), Plasmacam's DesignEdge, and the Torchmate software are the only 3 "all in one" options in the "entry level" CNC table (sub $25k) market.

Ironically, the higher up the "professional level table" you go, the LESS likely you are to find "all in one" software. Once you get to high-end industrial stuff, the CAD aspect is specifically locked out. They don't want the operator making changes to the drawing sent to the machine from the office.
DaltonMurphy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DaltonMurphy »

Im a CAD programmer and a plasma operator, Im running a Torchmate II with Torchmate CAD and Torchmate4 for the operating system, i also downloaded the free draft sight program incase torchmate wants to give me a hiccup that day or not, Very easy to import/export do nesting, single parts, you have the control to start where u want (in your case using the scrap material and jus moving the head to where need be) I love my system its easy, fast, simple. works great and I truly love the torchmate Cad program. hope this helps.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”