Multi process welder ?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Pa.Pete
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Multi process welder ?

Post by Pa.Pete »

I am thinking of getting a multi process welder and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Any recommendations or features that they like on a specific brand/model?
Thanks
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Multi process welder ?

Post by tnbndr »

I purchased a Millermatic 215 last summer. Nice machine, easy switchover between processes. Really like that it has two gas inlets so you don't have to switch tanks manually between processes.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

We purchased a Lincoln Power MIG 210 MP a while back and love it. It's really easy to use, easy to switch processes, has a pretty high duty cycle, and the price was less than the Miller. While we've only used the feature a few times, I like that we can change the cord out on the back to plug it into 110v when we're working in an area that doesn't have a 220 plug. That being said, we have not added a TIG torch to it yet, as I have another TIG already and don't like the idea of switching out bottles to go between MIG & TIG. That would be my only complaint.
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

tnbndr wrote:I purchased a Millermatic 215 last summer. Nice machine, easy switchover between processes. Really like that it has two gas inlets so you don't have to switch tanks manually between processes.
The extra gas valve is for eliminating the gas valve on the torch. Machines with a single inlet still hook to a argon tank independently.

Least the Miller/Esab/Lincoln/Thermal-arc/Tweco/Klutch mutii-processs machines I have owned.. :mrgreen: Probably need to see if you are doing DC only welding or if Aluminum tig is in the mix.Also what thickness metal you are welding? Then you can narrow machines down a bit.. Most are really pretty good, and hard to go too far wrong..
Pa.Pete
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Pa.Pete »

Thanks for the replies,
Brand X, 95% of the time 3/8 would be the max thickness I would weld most of the time it would be 10ga. or under. You asked about aluminum tig, is that not possible with the multi process welders?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Pa.Pete wrote: You asked about aluminum tig, is that not possible with the multi process welders?
Yes, Esab, and Everlast have one out now.. Not that i would go that way myself. I still have my Thermal-arc Multi-process ( Japan Sanex inverter) but use a Esab AC/DC ,Esab small inverter mig only machine most of the time..There are about 100 ways to go, and really hard to say what works the best for anyone else.Although I probably had more models, and complete multi-process machine setups then almost anyone I know.. I do believe there is good value in the little Miller inverter machines like the 215. Yes you pay more then something like the HF new model stuff, but long term, a better investment. (IMO)
Pa.Pete
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Pa.Pete »

Brand X wrote:
Pa.Pete wrote: You asked about aluminum tig, is that not possible with the multi process welders?
Yes, Esab, and Everlast have one out now.. Not that i would go that way myself. I still have my Thermal-arc Multi-process ( Japan Sanex inverter) but use a Esab AC/DC ,Esab small inverter mig only machine most of the time..There are about 100 ways to go, and really hard to say what works the best for anyone else.Although I probably had more models, and complete multi-process machine setups then almost anyone I know.. I do believe there is good value in the little Miller inverter machines like the 215. Yes you pay more then something like the HF new model stuff, but long term, a better investment. (IMO)
I don't weld any aluminum right now but I am sure I will in the future. Maybe at that time I would get a dedicated tig or it's possible all I would need is a spool gun. I mostly do metal art and repair things now and then. If you were to purchase a multi process right now what would be your first choice?
Thanks,
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I would look used for a LM-200/ MST/MSTP 400 Themal-arc, or maybe even the newer China made Tweco.. I have a LM-200, and use to have a couple of MST-400 units with nice feeders..I think if I was you ,a Esab 252i (Older Thermal-arc 252I) would be a very solid pic in a multi-process unit. Had one of those too.. :lol: I bought one when they were going for a bit over $1500.00, and really has excellent power for most things..(like dual-shield .045, and spray-arc.. The LM-200 I have now is a bit stronger in output, so don't get too worried about what is on the side of the box for #. If I wanted more portable the Miller 215 would where I would spend my money. I know the Esab rebel pretty highly rated too, but just feel in my gut I would be happier long term with the Miller unit. There are really good machines out now, and in the past.. To tell you the truth the Miller Shopmate 300DX was one of my favorite machines I have ever owned. Just went for space savings,and had a MST-400 at the time.. I am super picky about what type of Mig arc I like, and the Shopmate-300 DX, and Esab multimaster 260/300 fall into the top tier as far as larger single phase shop machines go..Both are chopper power supply stuff, and really reliable units..

If you stay with a main brand, you really are going to do ok.. Not doing so can work out well too,but comfort/support, and proven track record is of more value then some people think. Resale value still will be best with a Miller or Lincoln overall,so you pay more up front, and gain on the other side.

.http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/in ... de=V430020
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Machines with a single inlet still hook to a argon tank independently.
Yes, I realize that but you have to remove the gauge assembly from one tank and put on the other, takes some time and you have to remember to do that!!!!! Ask me how I know.
Also the 215 does not do tig AL going to use my old 211 and spool gun for what little AL I do.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Pa.Pete wrote:
I don't weld any aluminum right now but I am sure I will in the future. Maybe at that time I would get a dedicated tig or it's possible all I would need is a spool gun. I mostly do metal art and repair things now and then. If you were to purchase a multi process right now what would be your first choice?
Thanks,
From this, My preference, for one machine comes in, If I could have One it would be mig with a spool gun, red or blue.
There are other machines that may have more options sound great but, I would not go that way either.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

I run an Everlast MTS 251si and love it. I cant compare to any other brands as this was my first welder. Ive ran a couple 11lb spools through it so far with no issues except for my inexperience as a welder. It is a dc Tig mig and stick machine. However, they just came out with a new version that does ac tig as well. If you actually contact Everlast they will usually give you about $100 off the advertised price and free shipping.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”