Pumping water table

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Pumping water table

Post by rbmgf7 »

I didn't build my water table with a drain plug. It's been about 10 months so I figure it's time to recharge the table. Plus, half the water has evaporated so there's not much left to remove.

I was wondering what pumps people use for those that don't drain? I figure a diaphragm pump would be the best but even a small one is $$$. Anyone have luck using a submersible well pump? I don't have much experience with sub pumps but since they're used to pump basements/wells, figure they're built to handle something like this.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pumping water table

Post by Scratch »

Seems like the hot ticket these days is to have an airtight tank that air pressure is added to push the water back into the table. I think their regularly called water bladders. All the cool kids are doing it.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Pumping water table

Post by WyoGreen »

Since you don't have a drain, I suppose a trash type pump, like a sump pump would do. I would think that the grit in a water table would wear out any pump eventually.
You really ought to think about a drain plug and bladder system like Scratch has suggested. I have one, and drain my table almost every day. It keeps the evaporation down, which keeps the moisture level in the shop down which keeps the rusting of other tools in the shop down.
You can pick up a bulk head fitting that you just need to drill a hole in the table and bolt in the fitting. Plump in a valve and run a hose to a plastic drum, hook up an air fitting to the drum and you're good to go. It only takes a little bit of air pressure for this to work, I use about 10 psi. I also let the water sit in the table for a while after I finish cutting for the day in order for the particles in the water to settle to the bottom of the table before draining.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”