Yard Art Stakes?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Yard Art Stakes?

Post by Jfile »

Just curious what everyone uses for yard stakes? I was thinking about cutting 1" wide stakes out of some scrap 14 gauge but I'm afraid that will bend when the customer tries to push it in the ground. Most of my metal art is 14 gauge. What have you found that works good to weld on for stakes?
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Yard Art Stakes?

Post by mdwalker »

You can use solid round rod and use the appropriate diameter for the size of art. Just curious, if you cut your art out of 14ga why would you want to cut your stakes out of 14ga then weld them on? Just cut the art and stake in one piece.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I use 3/16" rod for most of my yard art like butterflies, flowers, etc... I like the little bit of sway it gives in the wind. Thicker on heavier items obviously.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I use 5/16" round stock.

Allen
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the round stock and you guys helped me decide. Mdwalker, that's a good point. I really hadn't thought of that but now that you pointed it out, it's definitely worth considering if I were to use the 14 gauge. It seems like it would be easier and would avoid the welding step, however, it looks like it would make it harder to nest and make the most use out of the metal. I guess I was just thinking about the scrap that I had that I could easily cut some stakes out of. The more I think about it, I like the idea of incorporating the stake into the cut for smaller pieces especially those that are going to have short stakes (maybe 12 inches or less). Then on the larger pieces or the pieces that you would typically have higher off of the ground, maybe use the round stock.

Obviously I'm new at this so I suppose I'll find out what works best for me in time. Just wanted to get ideas for a starting point. Thanks everyone!
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

I believe you are definitely on the right track now! I understand making it a little harder to nest and possibly wasting a little bit of metal but from a financial standpoint it will cost you much more in labor to weld on stakes than any waste you may have from cutting in one piece. Good luck and don't be afraid to play around with different ideas.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I use 5/16 round stock and 14 gauge metal

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”