new member with a question

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
old sparky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

new member with a question

Post by old sparky »

Hello, I am wanting to get into plasma cutting for myself. Back 35 years ago I did fabrication in a copper mine. Then got into the electrical trade. I enjoy building with metal for my needs. I know how to use a ox acc torch well. But have never used a plasma cutter. I have an itch to buy. I would use the cutter mostly 1/4” stock. But working with tractor implements I sometimes cut 1/2”. What I think I would mostly use this for is making reactive steel targets using 1/4 and 3/8 stock. I wonder if I will be happy with freehand cuts? So my idea is buy a Hypertherm 45 with the thought of being able to expand to a table if I ever want one. With the information given should I buy a unit that is cnc plug ready or buy the cnc expansion if I ever need it? I am not brand loyal but buy top quality tools.

Thanks, Jim
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: new member with a question

Post by tcaudle »

Buy the 45XP with a machine torch and hand torch then you can do anything you want and go any way you want. While learning to cut with a hand torch will help you understand some aspects of plasma cutting and prepare you for the sparks, smoke and terror of melting metal and blowing it out with air, it won't do much to prepare you for doing automated cutting (CNC)
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: new member with a question

Post by Billythegoat »

Bakers gas has 45xp with standard hand torch and a 15 degree hand torch for only $100 more. That's what I did and put the 15 degree on my table. Kind of a pain to switch out consumables but with my xp it is few and far between.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”