Bad cut one side

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Bad cut one side

Post by grindergary »

I'm using HT 105 at 65 amp, book specs (witch cut very close). My long axis is X and short Y

When I cut from X10 to X0 and then Y 0 to Y10, the thc bounces like crazy. The other cuts are fine. Now, this only happens on edge of plate. If I cut a square in next cut up, it will cut really nice until it reaches the end of sheet. Then it happens again. It will not do it cutting Y10X0 to x10. It will cut nice and clean.

This happens on 3/8 and 1/2 inch plate. I have tried different plate and different manufacturers. Same thing.
On 10 or 16 gauge, I have not noticed any problems.

I have clean dry air, and all mechanical seems tight.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bad cut one side

Post by jimcolt »

The height control is an arc voltage feedback system. If you cut close to the edge of the plate...or right on the edge, expect the arc voltage reading (that your height control uses to adjust height) to be very erratic, which will cause the torch to oscilate up and down. You should always have at least kerf width of uncut material when cutting near an edge.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

grindergary wrote:I'm using HT 105 at 65 amp, book specs (witch cut very close). My long axis is X and short Y

When I cut from X10 to X0 and then Y 0 to Y10, the thc bounces like crazy. The other cuts are fine. Now, this only happens on edge of plate. If I cut a square in next cut up, it will cut really nice until it reaches the end of sheet. Then it happens again. It will not do it cutting Y10X0 to x10. It will cut nice and clean.

This happens on 3/8 and 1/2 inch plate. I have tried different plate and different manufacturers. Same thing.
On 10 or 16 gauge, I have not noticed any problems.

I have clean dry air, and all mechanical seems tight.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Gary
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

[quote="jimcolt"]The height control is an arc voltage feedback system. If you cut close to the edge of the plate...or right on the edge, expect the arc voltage reading (that your height control uses to adjust height) to be very erratic, which will cause the torch to oscilate up and down. You should always have at least kerf width of uncut material when cutting near an edge.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim,
I have been cutting up to 1/2 an inch from edge just to see if it would stop. The voltage remains constant at 135 plus or minus 1 volt. It does not change even with THC off.Voltage stays constant. Ground on material, ground spot just to make sure it was not mill scale. I have tried different metal suppliers. Really at a loss on this one.

Thanks for the response,

Gary
Sheetcam, Mach 3
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I gues I don't understand what you are saying. If the torch (z axis) is oscilating up and down.....that changes the arc voltage (voltage is proportional to arc length). If you are saying the torch is oscilating up and down...and the voltage is constant...then that is just plain not possible.

Can you describe your issue again...in clearer terms?

Jim Colt

grindergary wrote:
jimcolt wrote:The height control is an arc voltage feedback system. If you cut close to the edge of the plate...or right on the edge, expect the arc voltage reading (that your height control uses to adjust height) to be very erratic, which will cause the torch to oscilate up and down. You should always have at least kerf width of uncut material when cutting near an edge.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim,
I have been cutting up to 1/2 an inch from edge just to see if it would stop. The voltage remains constant at 135 plus or minus 1 volt. It does not change even with THC off.Voltage stays constant. Ground on material, ground spot just to make sure it was not mill scale. I have tried different metal suppliers. Really at a loss on this one.

Thanks for the response,

Gary
B Holmes
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by B Holmes »

I had a similar issue the first time I cut 1 inch plate. THC acted like a sewing machine, only faster. Tom from CandCNC had me turn down the THC rate. My issue was solved. Hope this is a help.
5 x 10 Air bladder water table
Precision plasma HDB gantry
CandCnC 620-4 Bladerunner
Feather touch ohmic plate sensing
Hypertherm Powermax 65
2015 Autocad lt
Sheetcam
Mach 3
Central California
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

grindergary wrote:[quote="jimcolt"
Jim,

Thanks for the response,

Gary
Jim, the Z axis oscillates and the DRO's show only 1 volt difference if you are fast enough to see it. If I do the same cut with THC off, The arc voltage will still only move 1 volt on that cut. If I do a cut 96 inches long on 1/2" plate, the thc will follow that cut with 1 volt difference then adjust back to preset voltage. I don't know how else to explain it.
Driving me nuts. :D

Gary
Sheetcam, Mach 3
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

B Holmes wrote:I had a similar issue the first time I cut 1 inch plate. THC acted like a sewing machine, only faster. Tom from CandCNC had me turn down the THC rate. My issue was solved. Hope this is a help.
Where would I find this setting?

Thanks

Gary
Sheetcam, Mach 3
B Holmes
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by B Holmes »

I believe it is on the settings screen in MACH. Not near my table right now, but I will check the settings tomorrow.
5 x 10 Air bladder water table
Precision plasma HDB gantry
CandCnC 620-4 Bladerunner
Feather touch ohmic plate sensing
Hypertherm Powermax 65
2015 Autocad lt
Sheetcam
Mach 3
Central California
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

The 1 volt difference makes sense because in the THC Cut Profiles the span setting may well be close to that (e.g. 4/4 ths is 1 volt). Anything outside that setting and the THC reacts. If your Span setting is lower (e.g. 2/4 ths is half a volt) this will also add to the tendency to oscillate. I often use 2/4 for Finecuts and 4/4 for larger nozzles. The Span setting is just a deadband area where the THC does nothing.

I too have had the "jackhammer" effect and reducing my THC Rate (Settings tab in Mach) from 40% to 15% was what fixed mine. The THC Rate does not have acceleration or deceleration when it gives steps to the Z-axis, that is why it cannot be at 100%, the steppers cannot instantly go to max rpm.

What causes the jackhammering is the THC reacts to correct the voltage but overshoots through the deadband area (span) to the other side of the volt setting, then it reacts the other way and overshoots in the opposite direction. Reducing your THC Rate helps the Z-axis stop in time (within the Span area). Also increasing the size of the deadband gives the z-axis more chance to stop before overshooting.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”