Powermax 85 not cutting through

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
pens92
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 85 not cutting through

Post by pens92 »

Hi I have been cutting with the 85 for months no problems, all of a sudden Im cutting some times it cuts trough some times it just gets blow back. I have tried different amps from 85 to 45 with slow cut speeds nothing seems to help. I have put new hypertherm consumables with no help. I have the same problem with 3/16 and 1/8 mild steel some lines cut fine some wont go through. the only thing that has changed was i bought a bigger compressor and plumbed it through an air dryer. I have even taken the air back to normal before the air drier thinking that could be the problem. All the settings are right by the book. the powermax is about 8 months old need help asap thanks Don Also no error codes and its set to auto for the air with a machine torch
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Powermax 85 not cutting through

Post by I Lean »

My first guess would be your cutting height is not maintaining as it should--cutting too high.
cutting$burning
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutting$burning »

I have a PM 85 and I had a similar problem last week cutting 3/8" mild steel. While cutting instead of the compressed air forcing the sparks and debris downward it would swirl around sometimes even blowing straight up. Needless to say the cuts were crappy and very difficult to remove the cut-out pieces, I mean we're talking 5 pound sledge hammer. I changed out all the consumables and then it was back to Hypertherm perfection. Even though I could see nothing wrong with any of the consumables that were causing the problem and I dind't take the time to replace them one at a time to see which one was causing the problem (process of elimination) I am courious if it was the swirl ring, thus the swirling sparks and swirling noise. This probably dosen't help you much if you have already changed out the consumables and the problem still exists. With any luck Jim Colt will come to your rescue as he does all of us. D
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Maybe some debris in the tip???
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill