Cut kerf?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Cut kerf?

Post by gamble »

Cut out a lot of keychains last time with my standard consuambles. This time I enlarged the image a little bit, maybe 10% and tried some s45 0.8 sized tips with less amperage. 30amps. 80ipm, 14g steel.
Tried a very close torch height and a higher one at like .100. Seems the kerf is much wider and all of my cuts were ruined.
Any thoughts? Even tried 35amps, but I think that was too much for this sized tip. I have some s45 trafimet consumables that I would like to make work for doing more fine work, but seems everytime i use them the results aren't as good as with the larger oem consumables.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut kerf?

Post by jimcolt »

With the same nozzle....kerf width will increase when:

- Nozzle bore wears
- Torch to work height is increased
- cut speed is decreased
- Cut amperage is increased
-Cut air flow is increased

Jim Colt Hypertherm

gamble wrote:Cut out a lot of keychains last time with my standard consuambles. This time I enlarged the image a little bit, maybe 10% and tried some s45 0.8 sized tips with less amperage. 30amps. 80ipm, 14g steel.
Tried a very close torch height and a higher one at like .100. Seems the kerf is much wider and all of my cuts were ruined.
Any thoughts? Even tried 35amps, but I think that was too much for this sized tip. I have some s45 trafimet consumables that I would like to make work for doing more fine work, but seems everytime i use them the results aren't as good as with the larger oem consumables.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

It was a brand new tip, airflow is always the same. i don't touch touch the regulators at all. my hyperthem rep told me same air pressure regardless of what you are cutting, thick or thin.
I'll do a line speed test on this with 30amp tip and see where that gets me.
Thanks
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Well.....that would probably work if you had a Hypertherm. For an Everlast plasma you would be best suited following their specs for air pressure and nozzle (tip) size.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

gamble wrote:It was a brand new tip, airflow is always the same. i don't touch touch the regulators at all. my hyperthem rep told me same air pressure regardless of what you are cutting, thick or thin.
I'll do a line speed test on this with 30amp tip and see where that gets me.
Thanks

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”