Corel, which one for me?

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Corel, which one for me?

Post by RGR »

Hey guys, never used or looked at corel draw. I want to start making my own images and going my own thing now that my table is operating well. Which Corel Draw do I need to look for? if you guys could post links on good deals or specific software I should be looking at i would appreciate it. Im not a software guy, so I don't want to accidentally buy the wrong product or waste money on something I wont use. Thanks
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Corel, which one for me?

Post by illusivedf »

Download inkscape and try it out it's fee and is very similar to Adobe Illustrator.
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

X7 is the current version but I'm told it doesn't really have any benefit over X5 for the work we do, X5 had quite a few improvements over the earlier ones. You will pay a lot less for X5 than X7 just make sure you get a full version rather than student for future upgrades.
Murray
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

muzza wrote:X7 is the current version but I'm told it doesn't really have any benefit over X5 for the work we do, X5 had quite a few improvements over the earlier ones. You will pay a lot less for X5 than X7 just make sure you get a full version rather than student for future upgrades.
Murray
I purchased the education version directly from Corel since my wife is a teacher. When I spoke with Corel they said that there is no difference between the retail and the education versions anymore. Previously the education versions didn't come with any fonts or a manual. Now the manual is digital in the program and the fonts are included.

It's been great for me and I can't complain about paying about $100 for a full program.

Hopefully I was informed correctly.

Brock
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

I know a local teacher, do you guys know if I could have her buy it for me or would I have issue registering the software and ETC?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Should be fine with your teacher purchasing it.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Ok. Thanks guys. I'll look for the x5 then and see what I can find. I'm always learning and appreciate your help.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I think that is a great choice. Once you get it and when you need help, just post up and there are many here that can help you figure out how to do what you want to do.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I have found a few things in X7 I would miss now, best of all is the smooth tool, brilliant at smoothing out nodes/taking off sharp corners.
Freehand pick tool is useful for node editing as well, that's in X6 as well.
Alignment and dynamic guides are also quite useful.
Be sure not to go for the X7 Coreldraw Home & Student suite, there is no dxf export included.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

X6 had the join curves tool in it and that tool alone has saved me many hours. X7 has the smooth tool like Sean mentioned and that is a handy on also.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Thanks Sean, I should have upgraded when they were emailing me with special deals. I was told that most of the upgraes were in the graphics side of things.
The join curves came out in X5 Bill, like you say a great time saver and one feature I do use a lot.
Murray
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

RGR wrote:I know a local teacher, do you guys know if I could have her buy it for me or would I have issue registering the software and ETC?
I ordered the education version and they only asked if my wife was a teacher and that's it. The only difference I see besides the price id at the header of the program it say's "not for commercial use"
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Thanks for all the feedback guys...Where should I look to purchase it? Ive been looking on Amazon, but I wasnt sure if there was a better place?

And I need at least the 6X? for the line smoothing mention above?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

You can buy direct from Corel, have a look here at the specs, you need the X7 for the smooth tool, I will try and do a video soon showing how well it works, there isn't much info about the smooth tool really.

http://www.coreldraw.com/us/product/gra ... 69715#tab1
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

SeanP wrote:I have found a few things in X7 I would miss now, best of all is the smooth tool, brilliant at smoothing out nodes/taking off sharp corners.
Freehand pick tool is useful for node editing as well, that's in X6 as well.
Alignment and dynamic guides are also quite useful.
Be sure not to go for the X7 Coreldraw Home & Student suite, there is no dxf export included.
You can export in every format in the education license that the commercial version does. I used to do DXF but have been using primarily SVG.

Besides the fact that it says "not for commercial use" at the top it's identical.

Glad I married a teacher, Saved me $400+ off retail. :D
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

Here's the page I ordered mine from.
http://www.coreldraw.com/us/product/edu ... 30185#tab2

The basic specs. are right there too
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

btburn wrote:
You can export in every format in the education license that the commercial version does. I used to do DXF but have been using primarily SVG.
Good stuff, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick I was looking at this page, wonder is home & student another version?

'' Some external file format support removed: DXF/DWG, DCS, CGM, JPEG 2000, etc.''

http://www.coreldraw.com/static/product ... rix-en.pdf
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

SeanP wrote:
btburn wrote:
Good stuff, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick I was looking at this page, wonder is home & student another version?

'' Some external file format support removed: DXF/DWG, DCS, CGM, JPEG 2000, etc.''

http://www.coreldraw.com/static/product ... rix-en.pdf
Must be, i think the only thing not on mine is the vehicle templates for creating wraps if i remember what corel told me.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I have just gone to purchase an upgrade version of X7 (thanks Sean ;) ) and all of the upgrade versions which are much cheaper than full have the below notation. Fortunately mine is a full commercial version so no problems but had it been a student or home and office I would haven't have been able to.
Murray

Product Description

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 Upgrade DVD

To purchase this product, you must own a previous licensed version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4, X5 or X6 or CorelDRAW® Premium Suite X5.
Please note that upgrade eligibility excludes Academic, Home and Student, OEM and Not for Resale (NFR) versions.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Guys i got this x7 coreldraw for $65 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corel-DRAW-Grap ... 27f8568ce5

NOTE: you do NOT need to be a student. It's just their way of selling it discounted.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Wow. Way cheap! I'll check that out thanks.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

RGR wrote:Wow. Way cheap! I'll check that out thanks.
Did you buy it yet?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Yes, I did, should be here any day! Thanks!!
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Sampson Jones »

Almost all cheap copies on e bay are pirated . You will get a message on opening corel from corel saying it is pirated .It most likely will still work . A good think to keep in mind is "factory sealed unopened unused " in the eBay description .
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Sampson Jones wrote:Almost all cheap copies on e bay are pirated . You will get a message on opening corel from corel saying it is pirated .It most likely will still work . A good think to keep in mind is "factory sealed unopened unused " in the eBay description .
Not on mine :lol: it was factory sealed and still $65
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”