Mach or Linux ????

General software related questions should be posted here.
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Mach or Linux ????

Post by davek0974 »

I'm building a new 4'x4' table, my existing 2'x2' one has Mach3 running on it and works OK, I have been reading posts regarding the demise of Mach3 and the issues plaguing Mach4 plus the fact that they run on Windows which is known for being not brilliant when it comes to controlling stuff in the real world.

After I started building my table, CandCNC (I have their great THC) announced a new release built on LinuxCNC, coming out soon.

Now, I have never used Linux but don't mind learning stuff and once its up and running I'm confident it won't need fiddling with anyway as its a more robust system than Windows will ever be. It can also run on a SD card so no fragile hard disk in the workshop :)

So, my quandary is -

1 - Remove the existing Mach system from my old table and transplant, live with it until the XP pc dies then panic,
2 - Await the Linux release, build that in and sell my existing parts off,
3 - Wait until the Linux version has been around a while and then rebuild my new table to incorporate it.

Obviously option 2 has a cost associated but I want to build a reliable table so i could accept that cost.

Anyone here use LinuxCNC??
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Mach or Linux ????

Post by acourtjester »

Take a deep breath you must understand these things will not happen in the next day of so.
Microsoft stopped supporting XP sometime ago but thousands are still using it and will continue to do so..Mach 3 works fine with Win 7 and it will be here for many years. Linux is fine but is a totally different operation system and Linux CNC is totally different from Mach. Jumping on the newest thing when It first comes out may make you happy but the old saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" is something to live by.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Of course it won't disappear overnight :)

I was unsure about Win7 but if it works then thats something I guess.

The other issue i have is that my THC may not be fast enough to handle the speeds the new table is being built for, CandCNC have advised me of this and I did look at upgrading to their ether-cut system which is much faster but it has issues caused by the Windows layer that cannot be fixed, it makes turning the torch off at precise points very random etc.

That was another reason for a change, I can build my existing unit in as that was the original plan but you know what happens to plans....
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Actually all of the barriers for the Windows Ethernet version have been overcome including the "off before end of cut" which will be released next update so that part is no longer in the cons list. The EtherCut will run fine with WIN7 32 OR 64. However to update from where you currently are to EITHER system (Windows or Linux) will cost about the same. Based on where Windows is going (WIN 8 was a mess) and that is cloud and mobile computing with heavy Human Machine interface it becomes a less friendly platform for controller applications The demise of the parallel port was declared emanate over 5 years ago! Yet it trapezes on. There are still millions of older PC's with the P port and the expansion cards are still out there. Worst thing that has happened so far is the price of DB25 cables has tripled in the last year.
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Thanks Tom, good to know the ether-cut issues are resolved.

I am not a big fan of Windows myself, the machines we use at work run various versions of Linux, one even uses DOS :lol:

It's proving to be a very difficult decision indeed - carry on with what I have with the possibility of the THC rate being too slow, get an Ether-cut system on Windows or the new Linux system which as yet is a new beast although LinuxCNC has been around a fair while now.

I have read the LinuxCNC manuals, the Wiki pages, and it does seem to do exactly what it says on the box, it's just a matter of choice it seems.

I have no doubt that Windows/Mach will still be around after this machine is dead so it's not an extinction thing, just a "what is best" problem.

I am Ok with buying another system, as it means I can keep my existing machine running right up to the changeover day, but the big questions are

Is it worth buying a new system at this point??

Should I buy Windows/Mach or LinuxCNC????
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I'm not sure why you need something so much faster than what you have, mine is more than fast enough at reacting to sheet distortion, ok if you need to cut something with huge differences like corrugated.

I was cutting a full 8' length strip and it popped up in the middle after coming unstuck and was springing up and down, the thc even kept up with that, that's about as extreme as I get.

As for XP as long as you just use it to run Mach it doesn't really get any simpler, easy to install, fast boot up and never gives a bit of bother, plenty cheap dell 745's on ebay for little money.

I suppose if you could sell your old machine once the new one is running that's a different story.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Im sure you've said it before but are you running the MP3000-DTHC2 unit ??

If so then I will likely do a transplant.

I was contemplating selling the old table as a project but it has too many bugs so i'll probably strip it and sell the parts off.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Yes it is Dave, with bladerunner kit 620-4 motors.
davek0974 wrote:Im sure you've said it before but are you running the MP3000-DTHC2 unit ??
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Thanks Sean, I get side-tracked easily at times ;)

I think i will do the transplant version, see how it plays.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is what I have used on tables I have built plenty available from overstocked.com you get a desktop PC with new keyboard, mouse, and Windows 7 loaded for less then $150. just check the spects for the parallel port if needed. These thing are off lease office type PCs. I build a new enclosure for all the electronics.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Le ... on=7800241

images of the last controller showing a BOB for testing but will have CandCNC mp3100 electronics when completed.
DSCN1592.JPG
DSCN1600.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Thanks

Do you find the main board/PC works well in the same space as the drives etc??

I was going to do this but was advised not to.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

MY advice is to wait for the Linux version. Linux picks up where Mach falls. Meaning no latency happening. Can you imagine running your Z axis down to touch off at 250ipm. Folks that build right with Mach 3 out accelerate 90% of the tables out there but there are slow zones because of the latency. DTHCII was a perfect example of that. Linux will revolutionize the smaller table market. It is almost out! Very close!

Return to “General Discussion”