converting DXF to PCM (win 8+corel draw=BS)

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
ryno fab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

converting DXF to PCM (win 8+corel draw=BS)

Post by ryno fab »

Im using an older version of pcam and a win 8 os system on my computer (just for drawing). I downloaded a few files from plasmaspider. I open said file in pcam by importing it. Usually I "save as" in the folder I want with the pcm file type selected in the drop box. Save it. Then it usually has the pcam logo on the file so I can just click on it and it open in pcam. Well now it is saving with the corel draw logo and tries to open with corel. I went in tho the "open with" deal but can not locate pcam in there anywhere. If I open pcam first I can now open said file instead of importing it. Still can't just find it in the folder and click on it. It's very frustrating. Im pretty sure it has to do with win 8 trying to make my life "easier" but i cant find how to make it stop.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: converting DXF to PCM (win 8+corel draw=BS)

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

if you installed corel after pcam then corel would have changed the file association for dxf (and other formats)

in win7 you would right click on a PCM file, mouseover open-with, select choose-default-program...

on mine there is a section called other programs that looks empty but there is a plus-sign off to the right to display that section which is not empty

there is also a checkbox to always-use-the-selected-program (check that)

if pcam is not listed, there is a browse button to select a program, click that and navigate to

C:\Program Files\PlasmaCAM

find and double click the pcam executable

I haven't tried win8 so....
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

I haven't tried win8, but I wuold think that like other platforms there is a spot to go into the control panel and set the defualt programs. Try and make it so that the default program for the file extension is pcam.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

Same as Win7 right click open with and chose the default option to open file with and check use as default program.
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5
ryno fab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ryno fab »

Very strange. So if I go into pcam, import a file, save as, pcm, and name it the same as the file i have imported. then it pops up "bla bal bla already exists in this file would you like to replace it." hit yes. should now have a pcm file in that folder with that name. well not the case. it is still a dxf. still tries to open with corel.
drakus wrote:Same as Win7 right click open with and chose the default option to open file with and check use as default program.
still cant find pcam in the "open with" or "properties" sections. it's simply not there. even if i "browes for other programs" ... so if i repeat that whole bit except change the name boom. go back in my file and its sitting right there with the pcam logo. something is not letting it save over the existing file. never ran into this on win7 or vista.

thanks for the replies
TAP
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TAP »

Try This......
Check the association-go to control panel - default programs - associate a file type or protocol with a program...........

Then follow the directions, make sure the file type is opening with the correct program that you want....top right button to make changes...

Might Work..
Tim

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”