Win XP and Mach 3

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Win XP and Mach 3

Post by cbassjr »

What's everyone doing on XP and Mach 3. The only thing I can get from Dell in Win 7.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Win XP and Mach 3

Post by grindergary »

I use a guy that refurbishes computers. For $50.00 he will give me XP clean. No garbage and a video card so as not to use on board video. I would check around an see if there is someone in your area that does this.

Hope that helps.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

grindergary wrote:I use a guy that refurbishes computers. For $50.00 he will give me XP clean. No garbage and a video card so as not to use on board video. I would check around an see if there is someone in your area that does this.

Hope that helps.

Gary
The problem is that all support and updatez from MS for XP ended yesterday. My concern is I'm in the process of getting a new notebook from Dell and Win 7 is as low as I can go. I'm not going to use it to Grove my Arc light table except in a emergency. My understanding is Mach 4 was scheduled for release this spring and was suppose to address this issue. My concern is I've spent too much money for the table etc. and I'm too old to be learning a whole other SW package plus the expense in purchasing a different SW pack.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Windows 7 and XP operate nearly identical. It's 8 they changed everything on.

I personally wouldn't buy a new computer just because support has been cancelled. I have Vista for my table and couldn't tell you if it's supported or not. As long as it runs, that's all I'm worried about.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

We recently upgraded to USB/Ethernet and use the pulse engine in the electronics instead of the PC. This gives you supreme capability and the ability to use virtually any PC. XP will be around for a super long time. It is the staple for MAZAK and Cincinatti lasers and runs in the background of countless other MFGs machines. You dont need virus updates constantly because the machine tools are not internet linked. If your using a XP PC as a internet machine your in for trouble soon. If not dont sweat it, there are millions of XP machines out there and the vast majority of them are very cheap.
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

Even though Windows has ended XP updates they still offer all of the service packs and downloads that were available before. If you have a valid license code for XP you can download it and get all the updates. I use a very old XP machine, a Dell Optiplex 170L with all service packs and a clean install of XP Pro. PCI video card with 128 MB of memory, 32 gig hard drive and 1 gig of memory and 2.8 GH processor and NO internet. This computer is VERY stable at running Mach3 as I have used it for the past 3 years. They are available on Ebay for around $50.00-$75.00. I have seen on a video featured on ArcLights website for training, him mention that you should not use windows 7 for Mach (I have no personal experience with this) because it can and will do un-predicable things. I am a big fan of older stable XP machines for Mach based on my experience. I have read somewhere (I think CNC cookbook website) that newer processors even though they are faster handle interrupts in an unfavorable way when it comes to Mach. Sometimes faster is not better when it comes to Mach, stable is the name of the game. Just my thoughts, not an expert.

Scott
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I'm surprised at this talk of updates.

As per the advise of Mach, Candcnc, etc, my table PC is only used as the machine controller. I install XP, do the optimisation, then install the CNC software. The PC never gets connected to the internet and thus never gets any updates. All I need is the installation disk and I'm good to go.

If anything I tend to remove stuff from the original XP. I uninstall Windows programs that I don't need and I even go into "services.msc" and disable services which seem to have nothing to do with the computers use (printing, networking, etc). Don't know if this really helps but all I want running is Mach.

The discontinuation of the XP updates is mainly an issue if you continue to use the PC in a typical manner - connected to the internet, installing other programs, etc. Up until April, it was a cat and mouse game with updates being continually developed to counteract security threats, bug fixes, etc. The main concern now is that as a new security flaw is discovered, Microsoft will not create a protective fix (update) so the bad boys out there who are trying to hack your PC can focuss on these unfixed security flaws.

You can download all the XP udates up to April 2014, put them on a CD, and together with an installation disk you are good to go (but like I say, for Mach I've never installed updates). Connect to the internet however and as time goes by XP may get more vulnerable to new threats. A good security package will go someway to protecting your PC but if that's the direction you are going then the PC shouldn't be getting used for Mach anyway.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

http://arclightcnc.com/cnc-machine-trai ... -recovery/

I found the video that I referenced in an earlier post. At the 19 minute and 40 + second mark of this video his says to never use Windows 7 for Mach. He also attributes the issues to possible other software running in the background.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Everybody pretty much summed it up

You can still use XP on a table for a long time without problem, computers are pretty cheap,
Don't connect that PC to the net, and keep programs to a minimum.

IF you want to go Win7, i would recommend, as BTA plasma said, get the Ethernet upgrade from candcnc.
It relies a lot less on the computer.

Mach4 is not out yet, and even so, i would wait 6 month for the major bugs to get out. (it does look promising)
GPM870
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GPM870 »

I know this is off topic but related...
I believe I located a used computer running XP pro that I plan on getting up and running as a backup in case my current computer goes belly up. My question is, How do I get Mach 3 and Sheet cam on the new computer? Is it as simple as copying something or ....??? As you can tell I don't know the inner workings of the computer very well but give me a tool and life is good.
Gerry
Powermax 85
Sheetcam
Mach 3
4 x 4
burntables table
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

download mach and sheetcam and put them on a USB drive (memory stick) and load them on the disconnected XP system and install them done over and out
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

acourtjester wrote:download mach and sheetcam and put them on a USB drive (memory stick) and load them on the disconnected XP system and install them done over and out
What about putting the operating system in "Standard PC" mode. I always do this when I install XP as per the XP optimisation instructions from the Mach site.

Then what about going through the rest of the XP optimisation.

Does anyone else actually do this or am I the only one.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

All TruCut CNC go out now with Ethernet Controllers, it use to be an upgrade but is a standard feature now :) On all Series One tables. :D
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

GPM870 wrote:I know this is off topic but related...
I believe I located a used computer running XP pro that I plan on getting up and running as a backup in case my current computer goes belly up. My question is, How do I get Mach 3 and Sheet cam on the new computer? Is it as simple as copying something or ....??? As you can tell I don't know the inner workings of the computer very well but give me a tool and life is good.
Gerry
I would also like to know how to do this as well. I have a new computer that I plan to transfer my Mach 3 and Sheetcam licenses to along with my settings. How is this done?
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”