Going from a 4x4 to 4x8 table?

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Going from a 4x4 to 4x8 table?

Post by MIFab »

Hello, I have the opportunity to go from the 4x4 PlasmaCAM DHC table to a practical CNC 4x8. The only thing is somehow someway the software is screwed up on the practical table and I was wondering if I could take my PlasmaCAM software and use it on the practical table. I'm basically getting the 4x8 for next to nothing :D !
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Going from a 4x4 to 4x8 table?

Post by weldor2005 »

Really all that determines it is the need for the right gantry spacing, the gear racks have to be correct, the servo motors from your table and the control module. You say you have a DHC so you shouldn't have a problem with adapting the size in the software, where as the DHC2 would need to upgrade the custom table size.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

Thank you. I guess the next step is to get this other table home it is coming with a Hypertherm 1000 64 series with machine torch !
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

How do I figure this out ? (Really all that determines it is the need for the right gantry spacing)
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

MIFab wrote:How do I figure this out ? (Really all that determines it is the need for the right gantry spacing)
Your gantry on the plasmacam is set up with a motor and a drive shaft that runs both gears on the track inside the rails. When you make your table you will need to match this distance.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

You can order a complete gantry as well as rails from plasmacam. Then retrofit those onto you new table. The rails should come with the correct gear racks and everything. Then the only other critical factor is, as mentioned above, the spacing of the rails. Of course you will need another control box unless you are planning on ditching the small plasmacam table and just using the big one. If thats the case you can just order two rails, move the other two from the old table, swap the controller over and get to cutting. Oh, you will also need to see if you can reach the corners of the new table with the cables you have. I have a samson 5x10 (plasmacam big table) and my post is in the middle with the controller and cables there. Not sure if the cables are the same or different, I bet someone on the plasmacam forums could tell you. If not I can measure mine if you need me to.

If you are going to be buying another controller, it may be cheaper to go with CandCNC or something similar on the new table vs buying a controller from plasmacam. I can't be sure I have not really researched the cost for adding controls and software to a "home built" table so I don't really know what kind of money you would be looking at. Let us know what you get figured out.
Shane
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

This is the table I may end up with
Specifications
Table Dimensions LxW 120" x 60"
X Axis Travel 96"
Y Axis Travel 48"
Attachments
cnctable.jpg
cnctable.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Better be real cheap. At least table has bottom rails to keep the table aligned. Best Call Tom at CandCnc to retro all the electronics.I bought one about 12 years ago, and it cuts really nice with the upgrades from Tom,and myself over the years.
One thing besides many nagging issues over the years. The drive-shaft, and bearing going between the two gear racks needs changed out first.It's made out of Re-bar, or close. Then different motors,motor gears, and belts for the X-Y axis. That will allow you to get rid on the spring loaded belt,s and run them tight.. It will never be a pretty table, but does a pretty nice job of cutting with a few changes. The floating top gantry does keep the crashes to the min..but don't expect to do anything more with the table then plasma/o2 cutting. Also don't think you are going to be running real high speeds with it. Will do a good job if you keep things moderate. I do fine, because of my Plasma cutter has such great low amp nozzles. so it plays with the table well. My acceleration is set high, and that's what really matters..

I still think you might be happier starting from scratch. (IMO) I only have mine because I bought it before all the real good systems came out. I am satisfied for a home shop setup, and I do get quality cuts on it. Just not a real good starting point now a days.. I also needed to be a kit form to move it where it was going. Now it's not important, but a welded up table would not of worked for me at the time. ..
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

It would be a barter type of deal. Of what he said I would only have maybe $300 or a little more into the steel. Would I be better off just using my 4x4 table for now or would it be worth the hassle ?
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

According to your post the table is 5'x10' but only has the capability to cut 4'x8'. You can cut the same sized sheets with indexing on your 4'x4' table. In my opinion you are going from a quality purpose built machine to something some guy made (not knocking it just saying) that may or may not be capable and accurate. Given all the other variables, I would be inclined to just sit on what i had and concentrate on maximizing profits. You may end up just stepping in to a bigger table, but I doubt it. I am not trying to be discouraging, just understand that you will probably end up with hours of trouble shooting and retrofitting and chasing gremlins etc. After which you might end up with a really awesome table, or you could just have a so so setup. If you want a bigger table and can justify it from a business standpoint sell the 4x4 and move up to a 5x10, I love mine and it can cut a true 60x120. Well, thats not really true actually, but it can cut 60x118.5 due to the torch offset on the carrier.
Stay safe
Shane
MIFab

Post by MIFab »

Well looks like I need to learn the indexing on my plasmacam so I can make bigger projects 8-) ! Thanks for the help everyone!

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”