indexing

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
deannasanmiguel
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

indexing

Post by deannasanmiguel »

Is there a tutorial, video or other, that walks you through step by step on indexing? I need to cut a 10 foot sign on a 4 x 8 table. I know the settings in design edge, but once the first section is cut, I cannot seem to move the sheet of metal to line up for the second wave of cutting... HELP!!!
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: indexing

Post by Francisco »

The one really important issue for indexing is that your sheet has a perfectly straight long edge.

You will be indexing twice, which means you will have, first, four, and then eight feet of sheetmetal overhanging the front of the table; you must have provided some sort of support structure to allow for this. Incorporate edge stop(s) into this structure, aligned with the ones you are using on the long side of the table, so that your indexing happens in a straight line, and put two length marks or stops along it, at exactly 4' and 8' from the original position (a grate stop, likely) of the sheet's short edge, and aligned with it, so that, upon indexing, the reference point along the sheet's front end is always the same. Cut the first section; the program will pause. Remove the table's short edge stop, slide the sheet forward until its front edge is at the first (4') length stop, press start.
deannasanmiguel
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by deannasanmiguel »

Thank you! I will give this a whirl..:)
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Hope this isn't to late for you, Did it this weekend, keep in mind this is my first try at indexing, and it was easy with what I did, a sign maybe not. a future mod for me would be to get a cheap laser pointer and line it up where I need the cut line stop points to be after index.

https://youtu.be/Ug6tHk_rg30?list=UUS9- ... XaDqVQLTFw
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”