Newbie help - No lead in's using Sheetcam

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Sonic340
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Newbie help - No lead in's using Sheetcam

Post by Sonic340 »

Hi everyone. I just got a cnc last week, running a Hypertherm XP45, have tried quite a few different cuts and various files that I've downloaded just to experiment and tweak. For example, the notorious F bomb dxf file that I've tried cutting many times. I put it into sheetcam and can see the cut paths and start points and then I open up Mach3. When I do the cut, the plasma pierces right on the cut line for each cut and then I don't end up with a nice clean cut, but rather a notched out spot where the pierce was. Isn't it supposed to start inside and lead into the line and then all the way around so you end up with a clean cut? Do lead in lines show up in sheetcam when you run a simulation?
I have the box checked in the tool setup for lead in and have played around with multiple things trying to get this figured out.
Between trying to learn Inkscape, Sheetcam, Mach3 and trying to get my setup going I'm a bit overwhelmed. Ive made a ton of progress but there's so much to learn. Some of this is so frustrating and I knew nothing about any of this until a week ago!
Thanks for any help and sorry if this sounds like a ridiculous question!
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: newbie help, no lead ins

Post by jason.jason.p »

what cnc are you running?
Sonic340
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Sonic340 »

Its from a Precision Plasma in Minnesota. Here's their info. I have a 4'x4' table.
http://precisionplasmallc.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard
Here is what you should be looking at for lead-ins to be checked in SheetCam
You must use an offset along with the checking of both lead in and lead out shown in the image attached.
outside offset is for a part cutting along its outside, and inside for parts with the inside will drop out
no offset will cut on the line in the drawing used for the cutting operations. :)
lead ins.jpg
lead ins.jpg (97.55 KiB) Viewed 561 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Sonic340
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Sonic340 »

Yaaaay!! That was the problem! I had lead in and out selected but the length was 0 so no wonder! For stupid....anyway, thank you very much for the help and Happy New Year!
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Sonic340 wrote:Yaaaay!! That was the problem! I had lead in and out selected but the length was 0 so no wonder! For stupid....anyway, thank you very much for the help and Happy New Year!
Welcome to the Forum. AS far as STUPID go's The only Stupid Question is a UNASKED ONE! Wish you all the luck in the world and hope to see you grow.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape

Return to “SheetCam”