Knife blank

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Knife blank

Post by gamble »

I meant as it cutting it lol. I'll get to installing corel shortly.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Depending on how your trim settings are, you may have to delete the part after trimming it. On the trim box, there are check boxes that will either leave or delete the part being trimmed. Sometimes it is good to leave the piece there, especially if you are trimming a couple different areas with the same piece (moving it different sections to trim). If you are just making a single drawing, then set the options in the trim to delete the piece after trimming it and you won't have to worry about it being left there.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I'm playing now with this. If I use the freehand tool all the way around I got the object to be closed, but when I click the arrow and select all of them, then go to Object - convert to curves option is grayed out.
I'm using x7

got here it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corel-DRAW-Grap ... 27f8568ce5
btw you don't need any student info. ;)
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You need to be on the NODE tool to convert to curves. If you have the "Picker" tool, it is grayed out.
Select the NODE tool, then hit CTRL+A (to select all, or draw a box around them all) and then you should be able to convert to curves.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I selected the freehand tool which I assume is the node tool and selected the nodes but it's still grayed out.
Or did I miss something?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

You are on the freehand tool, go up three and you will have the shape tool, cick on that and it will show you all the nodes, hit Ctl + A to select all nodes (or use the "select all nodes" on the top tool bar) and you can either right click on the page and select "To Curve" or in the top tool bar "convert to curve"
Murray
screen select all.jpg

Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

He he he...I guess sometime a couple versions ago they changed the name of the NODE tool to the SHAPE tool. I have always known it as the NODE tool so I never noticed when they changed the name.

Thanks for clarifying that Muzza. I just learned something new. :)

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Is it weird that the nodes when you adjust them don't have fluid movement, they "snap" into place? Also they show the original line as well and the new line then fill the gap black. Kind of makes it a bear to see what shape it really is.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

lol so confused on what is what right now

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Under "View" uncheck your snaps. The only snap I use is "Snap to Guidelines" on CAD type drawings.

Not sure whats happening with your other problem, it almost seems that you are duplicating the object. Just a thought, are you hitting the "+" key when you are doing the "Ctrl + Alt" ? If so, what I should have written is "Ctrl" plus the "Alt" key at the same time.

You say you are using the freehand tool, I have best results using the "Polyline Tool", just click the node points, select all, convert to curves and then shape, some prefer the Bezier but I prefer the Polyline so I can track the line as I go.

Hope that works,if not let us know.
Murray
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Yup, bet the "Snap to object" or "Snap to grid" is selected. Like Muzza, I only use "Snap to guidelines" and only on very rare occasions I will use the others.

Uncheck them and you should have better fluid movement.

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

ok i'll try it again tonight.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I am not quite following your comment above about being filled in black, but if your object is filled with a color, that would make it difficult to see the lines underneath. To UN-Fill the object, click on the color square that has no color but instead, has an "X". That will remove the fill. Also just an FYI, if you right-click a color, that changes the color of the outline. Right-clicking on the same "X" box will remove the outline all-together. This could make the object "disappear" if it is not filled.

Torchmate CAD
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

My take on it Kent was that when Gamble was doing the copy he was hitting the "plus" key in the number pad to do "Ctrl" + "+in number pad" +"A" which duplicates as you select all instead of doing "Ctrl" + "A", my fault for not explaining it right.
In his pic it looks like it has two layers as you can see two sets of nodes and the fill being there is confusing it a bit more.

When I fill, I tend to use a light color which you can see your lines through.

I've had a hard time stopping my wife from using the number pad ( which she does out of habit) as it does this as well as other odd things at times.
Murray
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I wasn't using any keyboard shortcuts.
I took off the snaps and that helps for sure! Now I have a blue line of nodes and an orange. What's the difference in the two?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

The orange nodes are because of the black background. Corel changes the node color so you can see them, on a pink background they turn green, on a yellow they go green, etc.
Try turning your background off as Gamelord explained and then you will be able to see better what is going on or if you must run a background make it a grey or some light color you can see through.
Murray
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

OK here's something else to try. I have gone back to your screenshot and on my computer am trying to simulate what you have.
I think you said previously that you have drawn it with the freehand tool which I don't use but have to try and get the same as you have. Now with all the back and forth and different tools and keys I think I have ended up with something similar to which yours appears to be in the image and that is duplicates.
Try removing the fill and by using the shape tool move each node and see if another line appears under it, that will determine if you have duplicates or not.
Murray
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

muzza wrote:OK here's something else to try. I have gone back to your screenshot and on my computer am trying to simulate what you have.
I think you said previously that you have drawn it with the freehand tool which I don't use but have to try and get the same as you have. Now with all the back and forth and different tools and keys I think I have ended up with something similar to which yours appears to be in the image and that is duplicates.
Try removing the fill and by using the shape tool move each node and see if another line appears under it, that will determine if you have duplicates or not.
Murray
Yes that's what I used was the freehand tool and no keys. Sorry for the confusion. I'll try again tonight. lol i'm sure my customer hates me for making him wait.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Not sure exactly what was happening so I deleted all the nodes and started over. It worked much much better.
Got the outline all done and I wasn't too sure how how to size it in inches so i'm importing it to torchmate cad to finish sizing and do some cut paths.
I love the smooth nodes button. What else can this software do over the standard cad software?
And thank you guys again for your patience and helping through this little learning curve.

Is there a way to change the way this software zooms in/out? The the one thing I love about torchmate is wherever I scroll with the wheel it will zoom into where the center of the curser is. Not so much with the x7 software.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You should be able to zoom in and out in Corel with your mouse wheel. Mine does just as you described, zooms wherever the mouse is at. You may need to check your mouse settings if it is not working.

As for sizing, use your pick tool (main top tool), Select the object you want to size and then use the sizing boxes on the top to size your object. Once sized, export it out.

On the sizing boxes, the first two boxes are coordinates on your page so you can place the object exactly where you want it, these boxes are labled X: and Y:

The boxes next to those are the sizing boxes, horizontal and vertical. Use these to size your object to whatever size you want. If your object is not square, it will size from the overall width at it's widest point (horizontal) and the tallest height (vertical). You can set this for Inches, Metric, Pixels, etc... To change from "Inches" to something else, you will need to go into your "Rulers" setup. Easiest way to get there is to double click on one of your rulers on the side or top of your workspace. The box in the diagram is sized at 20" x 18". The paddle lock on the right of the sizing boxes will lock the object so that it sizes proportionately. Unlock the paddle lock (click on it) if you don't want the object sized proportionately.

You can also size it by percentage using the boxes next to the paddle lock. So if you want it 10% larger, just enter it in there.

Next to all of that is the rotate box. You can rotate by degrees by entering in the value there.

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Great thanks.
Does corel have an "auto" trace feature like inkscape to where I can trace it automatically then go back and edit nodes?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Corel has the Bitmap trace, which works very good for many simple drawings, but can be difficult for complex drawings.

Here is a tutorial I did on it:
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... oda#p43225

Hope that helps.

Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Great I will try it.

I can't cut this star to save my life. Anyone want to cut it for me out of 3/8" steel? Just let me know a price. Should be about 3" diameter
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
automate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by automate »

How did the branding star turn out? Any finished pics of the brand?
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

automate wrote:How did the branding star turn out? Any finished pics of the brand?
It didn't. I can't get a small enough kerf. Anyone else want to try for me, I'll pay
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”