A perfect scroll

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

A perfect scroll

Post by Oldsarge »

I've been wanting to make a scroll bender for a while now, but I've always been stumped on how to make the scroll properly.... Found an old blacksmith trick for figuring out a "Perfect Scroll" and took that info into Corel & it worked. I don't know if anything like this has been posted before so here's another one if so.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of time these days to get to drawing the center & breaking the scroll into sections, so I thought I'd throw this out there to see what the collective can do with it!

Happy Scrolling!

Oldsarge
Perfect Scroll.dxf
Perfect Scroll.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: A perfect scroll

Post by steel 35 »

Similar to what your after using pin's, something I started long ago and lost track of it.

Wire bender.dxf

PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

As far as the layout of the spiral goes, it's just 3 half circles each with diameters half that of the previous (mine is 6", 3", and 1.5" diameters for example)

Patclem
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Patclem »

I strayed across this the other day. There are two common types - Archimedean spirals and Logarithmic spirals. There was a site that would generate a DXF for either type, but I can't find it now.

Archimedean:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/4j41rzdkxb

Logarithmic:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LogarithmicSpiral.html
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Played around with this a little more today... This what I came up with... Thinking to drill & pin each piece to a 3/4" thick plate that my vise is attached to. Any ideas & improvements welcomed!

Oldsarge

Scroll Bender 3 Piece.dxf

6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

Oldsarge wrote:Played around with this a little more today... This what I came up with... Thinking to drill & pin each piece to a 3/4" thick plate that my vise is attached to. Any ideas & improvements welcomed!

Oldsarge

You may think about a way to rotate the jig instead of the material. Never know what you might need to put a scroll on, and having 15 feet of 1/8" by 1" swinging 360 degrees around the shop would surely prove to be unwieldy.
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

Did you see the scroll attachment on this bender that you can make? Check it out in the video starting at about 8 1/2 min in. The whole thing is an Instructable.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22310

Instructions on the whole bender with scroll attachment are at - -
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemad ... dium=email

Larry
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

jason.jason.p wrote:
Oldsarge wrote:Played around with this a little more today... This what I came up with... Thinking to drill & pin each piece to a 3/4" thick plate that my vise is attached to. Any ideas & improvements welcomed!

Oldsarge

You may think about a way to rotate the jig instead of the material. Never know what you might need to put a scroll on, and having 15 feet of 1/8" by 1" swinging 360 degrees around the shop would surely prove to be unwieldy.

Actually for some time now I've been thinking about fabricating a ratcheting head that I can mount various bending jigs to that I could ratchet around as I bend instead of moving the material... Now that I recently picked up a mill that I'm trying to make heads or tails of I might try to do something along those lines!
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”