Powermax 105 - Vicon

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
billmccandless
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 105 - Vicon

Post by billmccandless »

:?: We have a 1 year old Vicon table. For the last week the powermax has been skipping/stopping cuts.
sometimes with error codes 20 or 21 sometimes with no error codes.

The air supply is more than adequate and as clean and dry as possiable.
The leads are not kinked and consumables have been changed several times to try to troubleshoot.
Any suggestions before calling in a service tech?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 105 - Vicon

Post by jimcolt »

Both of those error codes are low inlet gas (air) pressure. I strongly suggest that you install a pressure gauge hard plumbed right at the air inlet fitting on the Powermax105. Read the pressure at this new gauge, then read the pressure at the source (compressor or regulator that supplies air to the plasma), they should read the same with no air flowing. Next, activate the air flow to the plasma torch (trigger the torch start signal momentarily...air will flow for about 20 seconds)....read both gauges again......you will see that the new gauge will read lower than the gauge at the source when air is flowing....this indicates a pressure drop in your plumbing system.....you may want to check the new gauge when the compressor is at its minimum output pressure (bottom of its on / off cycle) as well.

The Powermax105 requires 90 psi to 130 psi at the inlet when air is flowing at the torch. When inlet drops below this....even momentarily during a cut...the arc will be extinguished and an error code sent to the diagnostics screen. I suspect momentary drops in inlet pressure....could be caused by: too many filters, moisture traps.....or clogged filters/traps, could be too long of an air hose, or too small of an air hose inside diameter. Could be the regulator is simply set marginally low. Remember....check this with air flowing, and with the compressor at the bottom of its cycle.

Tech service at Hypertherm can help you with this as well.... Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 002.JPG
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG
billmccandless
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by billmccandless »

i'll set one up today. Pretty sure pressure drop is not the problem but i'll do it to rule that out. It's been an awesome unit so far. cut quality has been second to none.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Keep me posted. The error codes are from two different methods of sensing inside the power supply.....both indicating low inlet pressure. They are there to protect the torch from damage when air flow / pressure get to low to adequately cool the internal components.

Jim Colt
billmccandless
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by billmccandless »

After watching the gauge for several days, the gauge never falls below 100 psi and we still have the codes come up for low gas pressure.
We have the authorized local repair dealer coming next Tuesday to take a look at it. the gauge flickers when the solenoid opens at cut start.I feel like its a sensor problem but i guess we'll find out next week.
billmccandless
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by billmccandless »

FIXED.
Turned out to be the torch fire relay in the table controls. Still puzzled as to why i would get a low gas alarm tho.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”