Hypertherm's new PM45XP

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Hypertherm's new PM45XP

Post by exapprentice »

Hi all

post for Jim Colt, Hopefully
I originally posted these questions on the CandCNC site but thought maybe Jim is more active on plasma spider.
This is a question aimed at CandCNC with Tom's reply below

Hi Tom

with regard to Hypertherm's latest release (PowerMax 45 XP):

I intend to purchase this new option and use it in conjunction with my current Ethercut DTHCIV set up

Can I use the CandCNC "HyT Connect RS485 SIM Kit B" with this new machine, will the software to control the machine function as per a PM65?

Have CandCNC had the opportunity yet of testing the new PM 45 XP with your software to check compatibility and can the software make good use of the XP's new features?

reply:
Hypertherm has not shared the details of the new XP with us so I cannot answer your question until I have a chance to look at the technical documents

Thanks Tom
Maybe Jim Colt might be around to help out with finding out the answers regarding Hypertherms new machine (PM45XP) compatibility with your kit and software?
I am sure he must be a busy man at the moment

I have also posted this question on the CandCNC site:

Will the 45 XP allow me to connect my existing M/C torch as already fitted into my std PM45?
will my existing M/C Torch be able to use the new consumable range?

If not is there a new version of the M/C Torch that will accept the new range of consumables now available for the PM45XP

I would like to find out all the Pro's and Con's of the new PM45XP when replacing my existing PM45, hopefully more Pro's than Con's but only the top men can answer these questions ;)

Its all to new at the moment to just make the jump to the new PM45XP without knowing what the bigger picture might be :?
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm's new PM45XP

Post by jimcolt »

Tom at CandCNC has contacted me and I have asked engineering to review any changes in the Serial RS485 interface protocol so that CandCNC can make any changes if necessary. The 45 XP has some features (such as the ability to go down to 10 Amps) that are not available in the 65, 85, 105 and 125 systems) so it is likely some minor changes will be necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean by M/C torch....but I am assuming that you mean hand torch. Yes, the original Powermax45 hand torch will plug into the new Powermax45 XP and will cut metal. It does not use the same consumables as the XP torch or the Duramax torches....so there is no Finecut consumables, no Flushcut consumables, no marking and no gouging consumables as used on the Powermax45 XP. Consumable life will not be the same....though cut quality with the 45 amp shielded consumables with both torches should be almost identical. Should be no issues with using a Powermax45 hand torch for hand cutting on a Powermax45 XP power supply. Jim Colt Hypertherm
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Jim
Thanks for your reply I have a T45M m/c torch and I was hoping in the short term to still be able to use it on the new 45XP machine before upgrading to a new one that benefits from all the new features.

Jim any chance you could post the part number for the duramax machine torch for the new 45XP
Also how to specify if you want to order the new 45XP with the RS485 option?

Good to hear that the old PM45 hand torch does work on the new 45XP

Jim thanks again as always for your time and help
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

There are a lot of options. It is best that you go to the http://www.hypertherm.com website and look at the available choices...here is a link to the page that lists all combinations of torch leads, power supplies, CPC and Serial port options. Usually you will be able to find one part number that has everything you need. the web site is where I have to go to find part numbers......and I can help if you know what torch and lead length as well as interface ports you want (CPC , Serial). Link to the Powermax45 XP page, from this page click the "buying info" tab: https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/hypert ... rmax45-xp/

A couple of notes:

- CSA versions are the North American versions that meet safety specs. The CE versions are not released yet.
- Start / Stop pendant is not needed unless you are using it on a non-cnc mechanism like a track burner or pipe cutter.
- Both CPC and Serial ports can be installed at any time in the field using upgrade kits.
- CPC port is always needed on every CNC machine when a machine torch is used.
- Serial port is only used on CNC machines that have that capability.

Every system needs: Torch and leads (hand or machine or both), power supply, work cable, consumables. You can order these A La Carte, or find one package part number. The combinations that come with both hand and machine torch are a great deal!

Jim Colt
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

So are you telling us that the PM 45 torches both hand or machine torch's T45 or the T45M will in fact fit on the PM45XP. I was told by my local authorized Hypertherm dealer in my area that the older from the PM 45 ones would not work on the new XP machine. This is kind of a big deal to me this could save me some money until I need to buy new torches for the better features or after mine fail me, etc... I was thinking I need to sell my old machine torch and start over buying new torches, expendables etc... again. I hate to do that because I paid good money just last year for all this stuff I have now.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Powermax45 torches (both hand and machine) will plug into the Powermax45 XP and will cut metal like a Powermax45 (not an XP). If you want the Finecut consumables, the Marking consumables, the new Gouging and Fluschcut consumables and the added versatility of all these....you need to use the Duramax torch (same torch as used on the Powermax65, 85 and 105) or the Duramax Lock torch (new with the Powermax45 XP....the Lock torch has a new lockout switch for additional safety when changing consumables)

Sometimes it takes a few months to get all dealers up to speed on new products and compatibility.....there are roughly 2500 delaer stores just in the US....and each has a variety of counter, sales and tech people.....takes a while to train them all!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

edclayton1 wrote:So are you telling us that the PM 45 torches both hand or machine torch's T45 or the T45M will in fact fit on the PM45XP. I was told by my local authorized Hypertherm dealer in my area that the older from the PM 45 ones would not work on the new XP machine. This is kind of a big deal to me this could save me some money until I need to buy new torches for the better features or after mine fail me, etc... I was thinking I need to sell my old machine torch and start over buying new torches, expendables etc... again. I hate to do that because I paid good money just last year for all this stuff I have now.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Last edited by exapprentice on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

jimcolt wrote:Powermax45 torches (both hand and machine) will plug into the Powermax45 XP and will cut metal like a Powermax45 (not an XP).
Jim if I was upgrading to a 45XP from the 45 would I see much benefit cutting carbon steel 2mm - 12mm range?
I see there is a improvement on cut speeds, it's edge squareness I'm looking to improve on.
Thanks.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

jimcolt wrote:Powermax45 torches (both hand and machine) will plug into the Powermax45 XP and will cut metal like a Powermax45 (not an XP). If you want the Finecut consumables, the Marking consumables, the new Gouging and Fluschcut consumables and the added versatility of all these....you need to use the Duramax torch (same torch as used on the Powermax65, 85 and 105) or the Duramax Lock torch (new with the Powermax45 XP....the Lock torch has a new lockout switch for additional safety when changing consumables)

Sometimes it takes a few months to get all dealers up to speed on new products and compatibility.....there are roughly 2500 delaer stores just in the US....and each has a variety of counter, sales and tech people.....takes a while to train them all!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

edclayton1 wrote:So are you telling us that the PM 45 torches both hand or machine torch's T45 or the T45M will in fact fit on the PM45XP. I was told by my local authorized Hypertherm dealer in my area that the older from the PM 45 ones would not work on the new XP machine. This is kind of a big deal to me this could save me some money until I need to buy new torches for the better features or after mine fail me, etc... I was thinking I need to sell my old machine torch and start over buying new torches, expendables etc... again. I hate to do that because I paid good money just last year for all this stuff I have now.
Got it Jim,
After much going back and forth I decided to go for the PM 65, placed my order today from my local Norco in Spokane. I cant wait to get it. More power!!!
Thanks again,
Ed
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

SeanP wrote:
jimcolt wrote:Powermax45 torches (both hand and machine) will plug into the Powermax45 XP and will cut metal like a Powermax45 (not an XP).
Jim if I was upgrading to a 45XP from the 45 would I see much benefit cutting carbon steel 2mm - 12mm range?
I see there is a improvement on cut speeds, it's edge squareness I'm looking to improve on.
Thanks.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Cut quality between 3 mm and 12 mm will be essentially the same between the Powermax45 and Powermax45 XP.....as they both use the 45 amp shielded (conical flow) nozzle design. You will see the additional power (more wattage) show noticeable speed improvements as you cut thicker with the 45 XP.

From 3mm and thinner, the 45 XP has a huge advantage with the Finecut consumable technology.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Since the old Powermax 45 torch can be used with the current 45XP machine. Why can't you run the new torch on the the older Powermax 45.. Why wouldn't the fine cuts work then? Has anybody tried it to find out?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You can run the Duramax torch on the old Powermax45. Expect shorter consumable life, occasional misfires (with Finecut consumables due to the pilot arc ramp up current being incorrect) and shorter duty cycles (the Duramax torch runs at higher load voltages). For these reasons we do not recommend using any torch but the original Powermax45 torch on the Powermax45. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

So guys with a standard 45 could buy a 45XP/65/85 machine torch, lower their duty-cycle a bit,little less consumable life, run standard 45 xp consumables,fine-cuts,new low amps ones too.. Sounds like a good option for some people.. You could always get a hand equipped power supply down the road,and use your new machine torch you bought.. That way you could see if the upgrade would really be in your interest if just cutting on a table..

Would running the fine-cut swirl ring help with the arc start issues?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

BrandX....I really don't know. The Finecut swirl ring is only intended for hand torch cutting with edge starting......on occasion when the inlet pressure is on the low end of the scale or the line voltage is low we would experience issues where the pilot arc would not easily transfer to the material.....and the pilot would extinguish. So a swirl ring with slightly different flow characteristics was designed......I have never experienced that issue, and always use the standard swirl ring for Finecut.....though I'm not sure I have ever even used Fine cut for hand cutting! If I get some free time (which won't occur until almost December)...I will put my old Powermax45 on my Plasmacam table and try it out with the Duramax torch. We'll see what it can do. Jim
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

I stopped at the local welding supply place yesterday to order a 45XP, but looking at the different options, I wanted to check with people on here first. I have an older Bladerunner AIO that I purchased in 2010, which uses all serial cables. The table I am using has DTHC and the DTHC expansion module card I bought from CandCNC uses a serial style cable. I plan on using the hand torch, because I can't afford to get a machine torch at this time.

The questions I have are, which 45XP do I need to order? Unit with CPC connector or one with CPC and serial connectors? What does the serial connector do? Is the serial only used on machine torch units? Is my old Bladerunner even compatible with the new 45XP? Do I need to tear open the 45XP to make connections between the cutter and DTHC module like I did on my old plasma cutter or is that what the CPC connector supposed to do?

I'm hoping to get as much information before spending a bunch of money and not getting what I want. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you plan to use a hand torch for mechanized cutting...then the CPC port will be useless for you. The CPC allows starting only for a machine torch and interlocks the start signal when a hand torch is installed for safety reasons. To interface a hand torch for machine use you will have to hack into the internal wiring inside the power supply. If your Bladerunner has serial RS485 communication link for Hypertherm plasma cutters that are equipped with the serial port.....then and only then you would need to upgrade the Powermax45XP to have the serial port option. The serial link allows the CNC control to set amperage and air pressure on the Powermax, as well as to read diagnostic codes. If you are not sure if you have that capability with the Bladerunner.....I suggest contacting them. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

It would be good to see if the new torch will work decent with the old power supply. If it did not, then just throw the standard 45 users under the bus.. Until then, maybe there is a work around for guys on a budget, or they just happen to like their old school 45...Maybe even throw some Copper plus electrodes in the new torch, to help a bit with consumable life with the old/ new combo.. I believe you were working on a old torch/ new nozzle setup, that had some surprising results too. So I think there is life in the old girl yet.. :)

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”