Hypertherm PM 45 'O' rings

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hypertherm PM 45 'O' rings

Post by AndrewMawson »

This is probably a question for Jim Colt - sorry Jim !

How do the torch O rings for the PM 45 p/n 058503 differ from the p/n 044016 O ring specified for the Powermax 900 ?

I've been chasing cut taper problems, and came across a post from you saying how the O ring can affect the angularity - not having a spare 058503 I looked at my PM 900 torch spares and the 044016 'O ring' looks and measures as identical. I fitted one, which seems to work ok and I did get a marginal improvement.

(Actually I ordered some expensive 058503's before I realised that I had about 100 of the 044016's :oops: )
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm PM 45 'O' rings

Post by gamble »

Would like to know too so i can order a spare
The part for hand torch and machine torch the same?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The 058503 oring specified for the Powermax45 is a VITON oring with dimensions of .625 x .070. Temp rated to 600F. higher abrasion resistance.

The 044016 oring spec'd for the Powermax900 is a BUNA oring with dimensions of .614 x .070. Temp rated to 250F.

I recommend using the correct oring for best oring life and leak resistance. When you stretch the smaller diameter Powermax900 oring on the Powermax45 torch...it will likely result in a smaller thickness.....which may seal when new, but I would guess that it wouldn't last as long. The 900 swirl ring will abrade and wear out faster as well due to the material.

You have the specs....I'm sure you can purchase these orings at a lot of oring vendors. Like with most things....buying the lower priced version will produce different results. The Viton Powermax45 oring costs more than the Buna oring used in the 900, it has different dimensions and performance ratings. It should last for a few thousand removal and reinstalls of the retaining cap. It costs probably 5/1000ths of a penny every time you remove the retaining cap in wear....my quick calculation! Buy the one that seals properly and gives best cut quality!

Now that search through the manufacturing BOM's took me 1/2 hour or so....buy genuine Hypertherm to help me justify it!

Just kidding, Jim Colt Hypertherm
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Jim thanks - I'd already ordered the correct Hypertherm ones but of course they are not yet to hand :(
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”