Hypertherm PM105 Question

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Hypertherm PM105 Question

Post by tnbndr »

I am helping someone setup and get running that has a PM105, I run a PM45 so I don't have all the options available.
Question is "with the 105 consumables in the machine torch, can I just dial down to say 45 amps, use those cut parameters in Sheetcam and expect it to adjust and cut or is it necessary to have 45amp consumables in the torch.?"

TIA
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm PM105 Question

Post by jimcolt »

Yes...you can turn the 105 amp nozzle down to 45 amps and cut.....expect an ugly drossy warped cut! The Powermax105 has the choice of Finecut consumables (best cut quality from 26 gauge through 10 gauge) 45 amp shielded (12 gauge through 1/4", same exact cuts as the Powermax45), 65 amp shielded (3/16" through 5/8") 85 amp shielded (1/2" through 3/4") and 105 amp shielded (1/2" through 7/8" (thicker with edge start)).

Each nozzle combination works best at its maximum amperage...as that maintains the proper energy density (amps per square inch) for the range of thickness that the nozzle is designed for. Turning the amperage lower than the design amperage for each nozzle lowers the energy density...creating a soft, lazy arc that is not as efficient at cutting (angularity) and removing dross.

The operators manual for the 105 lists mechanized torch cut charts with detailed, accurate cutting specs for each set of consumables and amperage ranges for a given material thickness. Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”