45xp

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
old sparky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

45xp

Post by old sparky »

Hello, I am wanting to get into plasma cutting for myself. Back 35 years ago I did fabrication in a copper mine. Then got into the electrical trade. I enjoy building with metal for my needs. I know how to use a ox acc torch well. But have never used a plasma cutter. I have an itch to buy. I would use the cutter mostly 1/4” stock. But working with tractor implements I sometimes cut 1/2”. What I think I would mostly use this for is making reactive steel targets using 1/4 and 3/8 stock. I wonder if I will be happy with freehand cuts? So my idea is buy a Hypertherm 45 with the thought of being able to expand to a table if I ever want one. With the information given should I buy a unit that is cpc plug ready or buy the 45xp without the cpc then expand if I ever need it? I am not brand loyal but buy top quality tools is the only reason I thought about the 45xp

Thanks, Jim
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45xp

Post by weldguy »

Freehand cutting is tough to do well but making some templates to "trace" around with the torch is easy and will make repeat cuts much easier.

I would buy your plasma without the cpc port for now, it's very easy to install after the fact and in many cases you don;t even need it unless your table won't accept a raw voltage signal for the height control.

I certainly recommend the Hypertherm brand. My Powermax 65 has been bulletproof!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”