Dead Powermax 600

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Broncb2b
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Dead Powermax 600

Post by Broncb2b »

My plasma machine died, no pilot arc or air from either the machine torch (RT60) or hand torch. I took it in to the repair shop and just got quoted $1337 to fix it (they said a couple of boards blown and a new filter needed).

Help me decide if it's worth fixing or if I should just upgrade to a new powermax65.

My big question is what is interchangeable? I'm pretty sure I would need to purchase a new machine torch, but what else will I need to interface it to the blue screen height controller and torchmate controller? CPC port? Interface cable? I have found a few good deals on the 65 without the CPC port, i'm wondering how much and how hard it would be to add with the 228696 kit.

What new features would the PM65 have over the 600 besides going from 45 to 60 amps?

Bill
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dead Powermax 600

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax65 is a completely different system as compared to the Powermax600. Torches are not interchangeable. If you use a machine torch you will need the CPC port to interface electrically.

The 65 will cut thicker , faster and will provide about 3 to 5x the consumable life of the Powermax600. You can pierce up to 5/8" and can edge start and cut to 1-1/4". Duty cycle is higher, automatic air pressure setting, onboard diagnostics and digital readout. Easy quick disconnect torch for switching from hand to machine torch.

That price is a little high for repair....although if it really needs "a couple" of boards It likely is inline. It would be extremely rare to two boards to fail at once unless your shop took a huge line voltage surge (lightning) or something similar. You may want a second opinion on the 6oo!

Regardless, the 65 will (over time) cover its own cost by cutting cleaner, faster, better edge quality and with longer consumable life.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Broncb2b
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Broncb2b »

Thanks Jim!

I'm going to get a second opinion on the 600, does anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop in Denver? I will post up exactly what the first shop told me was wrong after i pick it up today.

Meanwhile I also picked up a new blemished (has a dent in the cover) Powermax 65 without a torch or CPC port. I ordered a Machine torch and CPC kit, and am still way under the best price I have found on a new unit with the machine torch. Is there anything else I need to interface it?
Broncb2b
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Broncb2b »

Shop says it needs....

PCB 228211 [1/pk] KIT:PMX600 PCB 208-240V WITH WIREKIT:PMX600 PCB 208-240V WITH WIRE
IGBT 109183 [1/pk] IGBT:600V 200A DUALIGBT:600V 200A DUAL
Air Filter/Regulater 228070 [1/pk] KIT:PMX600 RGLTRKIT:PMX600 RGLTR

I was told that when the one board goes it normally takes the other one out with it. No idea if It is BS or not.

I can find the parts online for about $100 less then the price the repair shop quoted, The expensive one is the PCB at $565. The labor runs $300 to install them.
HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

what I would do is just upgrade to a newer unit I have the 600 and it is nice but reading about the new one make it look bad lol
Broncb2b
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Broncb2b »

Jim,

What are the part numbers to add the CPC to a powermax65 without one.

I'm being told 023306 and 228696 are discontinued.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The part numbers you have are not discontinued....they just are not the correct part number!

The CPC upgrade kit which fits the Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems is part number 228697. It can be ordered from any authorized Hypertherm distributor, it is in stock at the factory. Comes with clear easy installation directions.

It is sometimes hard to find part numbers like this online, although I picked this one off the www.hypertherm.com site by looking under the products tab, then at the mechanized plasma section where there is a guide for all varaiations of the Powermax units. It is easiest to just call or email Hypertherm cuctomer service where they will find any part number very quickly. I am a little slow at responding occasionally....

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Broncb2b wrote:Jim,

What are the part numbers to add the CPC to a powermax65 without one.

I'm being told 023306 and 228696 are discontinued.
Broncb2b
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Broncb2b »

Thanks for the quick response!

This time you were actually quicker because Hypertherm was closed when I posted this.

I got the part numbers off of one of your other posts on other sites. I think there are several with that part number listed.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/torchmat ... -65-a.html
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?15 ... n-for-PM65

Bill
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I must have been having a bad day...sorry for the bad part numbers. When people ask me for numbers I have to go to either the Hypertherm website (like everyone) and find them, or go to the operators manual for the particular system. Our tech service people can usually find the numbers way faster than I!

Jim

Broncb2b wrote:Thanks for the quick response!

This time you were actually quicker because Hypertherm was closed when I posted this.

I got the part numbers off of one of your other posts on other sites. I think there are several with that part number listed.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/torchmat ... -65-a.html
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?15 ... n-for-PM65

Bill

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”