Hypertherm 85 price in USA

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Hypertherm 85 price in USA

Post by Black Forest »

I am just curious as to the price of a Hypertherm 85 in USA?

Over here in Germany they sell for much more than in USA I believe.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm 85 price in USA

Post by acourtjester »

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

FWIW, last month I paid $3400 for a Powermax 85 with a 25' hand torch, 25' machine torch, and a box of consumables from my local dealer.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
comeoutswingin
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by comeoutswingin »

jbc28 wrote:FWIW, last month I paid $3400 for a Powermax 85 with a 25' hand torch, 25' machine torch, and a box of consumables from my local dealer.
That sounds like a great deal. I got a quote a few months back from AirGas for an 85 with just a machine torch and CPC port and it was a little over $3400.
5x10 LDR
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

Here in Germany the 85 is selling for $7,775! I could fly to USA buy one and have a good time and come home and still save money.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Here in Germany the 85 is selling for $7,775!
How much is shipping if you purchase it from a USA company? Can't be that much, or is it not even possible.?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I'm in Australia and prices are just ridiculous too. I paid $6000 several years ago for a Powermax 1250 with basic hand torch, then I bought the Duramax machine torch at $1100.

So far haven't had anyone give me a reason why the inflated price is justified. I would have thought importers would buy at a trade price so even after import duty, etc, the price is not crazy. Is it just greed ??

Many talk about supporting our own countries and buying at home. Until I'm given a good reason why these sky high prices are justified, I'll purchase direct and line my own pockets instead of the importers. In any case, if people can't afford to get started in the first place because of high purchase costs, the country loses more. If a business can get started, they'll quickly make up for the money that went outside of their own country with the initial capital investment.

Forgot who the main Hypertherm agent is in the US (Harris Welding ?????) but many seem to buy direct from them and they ship overseas. The price difference is significant. I talked to a machine shop owner who bought his Plasmacam and his Powermax 105 direct from the US and they shipped it here. I was cringing after hearing how much less he paid for his BIGGER cutter than what I paid for my smaller one.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The export versions of the Powermax units have a similar "suggested" retail price as the North America versions. The US versions are CSA certified while most of the export units are CE certified. They are also designed for different input voltages and line frequency. The CE versions have some different internal components and line filters to comply with different regional rules. So...inflated prices are a result of higher markups from the local dealers. The warranty on these systems is designed to be handled by the selling dealer. A US based supplier would be in breach of their contract if they export a CSA version to a region that requires a CE version.

Jim Colt
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

I could buy a Hypertherm in USA and ship it here myself. If it goes belly up I could buy another one and still be money ahead!

CE doesn't cost a lot of money. Especially on an item like the plasma cutter. And it is a one time cost for that particular model. Not a cost per item.

What really burns me is buying software. Software that built in USA and sold in Europe is normally at least twice as expensive. This is a downloaded product not packaged and sent. And an English version. Most times it is not possible for a European to buy software from the manufacturer. If I log in/on to a software companies site to purchase software it detects I am in Germany and I get dumped to a European re-seller. It is price gouging at its best. Adobe is the worst at doing this to customers. My CAD program is the same.

Jim is it possible to buy from Hypertherm Germany or do I have to go through a re-seller?
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

jimcolt wrote:The export versions of the Powermax units have a similar "suggested" retail price as the North America versions. So...inflated prices are a result of higher markups from the local dealers.
Jim Colt
Good to know Jim, it sounds about right. The $6000 I bought my PM1250 was AFTER I knocked him down by $500. Just plain greed here.
jimcolt wrote:A US based supplier would be in breach of their contract if they export a CSA version to a region that requires a CE version.
Can US suppliers get hold of CE versions if their own region uses CSA machines ?? Are US dealers allowed to export overseas or would that also be a breach of their contract ??

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm sells only through dealers and OEM machine builders....no direct sales. With around 500,000 plasma's in the field we would not be able to support sales and service without a strong dealer network.

Jim

Black Forest wrote:I could buy a Hypertherm in USA and ship it here myself. If it goes belly up I could buy another one and still be money ahead!

CE doesn't cost a lot of money. Especially on an item like the plasma cutter. And it is a one time cost for that particular model. Not a cost per item.

What really burns me is buying software. Software that built in USA and sold in Europe is normally at least twice as expensive. This is a downloaded product not packaged and sent. And an English version. Most times it is not possible for a European to buy software from the manufacturer. If I log in/on to a software companies site to purchase software it detects I am in Germany and I get dumped to a European re-seller. It is price gouging at its best. Adobe is the worst at doing this to customers. My CAD program is the same.

Jim is it possible to buy from Hypertherm Germany or do I have to go through a re-seller?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

US suppliers cannot get CE units under normal conditions. Some OEM's that build cnc machines and sell worldwide....can get CE machines. Don't ask me which ones....as I do not know!

We really cannot control the selling price that dealers put on products....it ends up being a situation where the price is driven by demand...as it is with many products. Funny, here in the States dealers are selling systems at close to their cost.....don't have a clue how they stay in business doing so.

Jim Colt

beefy wrote:
jimcolt wrote:The export versions of the Powermax units have a similar "suggested" retail price as the North America versions. So...inflated prices are a result of higher markups from the local dealers.
Jim Colt
Good to know Jim, it sounds about right. The $6000 I bought my PM1250 was AFTER I knocked him down by $500. Just plain greed here.
jimcolt wrote:A US based supplier would be in breach of their contract if they export a CSA version to a region that requires a CE version.
Can US suppliers get hold of CE versions if their own region uses CSA machines ?? Are US dealers allowed to export overseas or would that also be a breach of their contract ??

Keith.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks very much for the info Jim.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Unfortunately here in Oz one of the prices we pay for living in paradise. Here's a page from our local dealers specials catalog.
Murray

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”