Solid, then blinking Amber fault light?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
WinterFabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Solid, then blinking Amber fault light?

Post by WinterFabrication »

Hello,

I have recently rebuilt my table using CandCNC & Precision Plasma parts and am just attempting my first cuts since getting everything going again. I have a Hypertherm Powermax 45

Before I ran any g-code, I could fire the torch manually using Mach3.

I went through SheetCam's tutorial to turn a .dxf into G-code, which all it is, is a small sign that says "PLASMA".

It started cutting with the "S", and did it just fine, and about halfway through the "A" the torch stop firing.

I looked over to the Hypertherm and it had a solid Amber fault light.

I tried a few more times to fire the torch, whether by code of manually with no luck. Also tried shutting everything down and bringing it back up.

After a few more attempts, the Amber fault light started blinking.

It's also worth noting that I had to undo the BurnTable voltage "mod" from the inside of the plasma cutter.

Any idea what this could be? I'm extremely anxious as Ive had the BurnTable since last year and finally rebuilt everything with quality stuff so its been a long time coming!

http://www.facebook.com/WinterFabrication

Matt
CandCNC Ethercut
Precision Plasma Gantry
Hypertherm Powermax 45
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Solid, then blinking Amber fault light?

Post by jimcolt »

The number of blinks that the amber fault light makes helps Hypertherm tech service to determine the issue. First, I would recommend disconnecting all wiring from the cnc machine, then try firing the torch by shorting the start input (if you have a machine torch connected this will be pins 3 and 4 on the CPC connector). This will verify if the issue is with machine wiring or an output from your cnc machine.

If the system acts the same with the CNC disconnected (flashing amber fault light) then you need to count the number of flashes and contact Hypertherm technical service.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
WinterFabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Thanks Jim

Wish I was at home and not at work so I could count the flashes and call. Hopefully the customer service line won't be closed by the time I get home.

Matt
CandCNC Ethercut
Precision Plasma Gantry
Hypertherm Powermax 45
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

WinterFabrication wrote:Thanks Jim

Wish I was at home and not at work so I could count the flashes and call. Hopefully the customer service line won't be closed by the time I get home.
Before you get all hosed up. Check your grounds usually when this happens out of the blue I forgot to hook up the ground.
WinterFabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

cbassjr wrote:Before you get all hosed up. Check your grounds usually when this happens out of the blue I forgot to hook up the ground.
Thanks. Grounds were my first check. I'll definitely recheck them though.

Matt
CandCNC Ethercut
Precision Plasma Gantry
Hypertherm Powermax 45
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

And, you can communicate via email with Hypertherm tech service....works after hours! I believe they staff the phones until 7PM Eastern time.

Jim Colt
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

WinterFabrication wrote:Hello,

I have recently rebuilt my table using CandCNC & Precision Plasma parts and am just attempting my first cuts since getting everything going again. I have a Hypertherm Powermax 45

Before I ran any g-code, I could fire the torch manually using Mach3.

I went through SheetCam's tutorial to turn a .dxf into G-code, which all it is, is a small sign that says "PLASMA".

It started cutting with the "S", and did it just fine, and about halfway through the "A" the torch stop firing.

I looked over to the Hypertherm and it had a solid Amber fault light.

I tried a few more times to fire the torch, whether by code of manually with no luck. Also tried shutting everything down and bringing it back up.

After a few more attempts, the Amber fault light started blinking.

It's also worth noting that I had to undo the BurnTable voltage "mod" from the inside of the plasma cutter.

Any idea what this could be? I'm extremely anxious as Ive had the BurnTable since last year and finally rebuilt everything with quality stuff so its been a long time coming!

What SheetCAM POST are you using? The DTHCIV will refuse to fire the torch if you have lost communication to it from MACH3.

Can you still fire the torch from the screen button?

I am not sure what the light means but one thing a torch won't handle is if the torch is fired (active) when you power it up.

You did go though the manual check list to test the DTHC (?) The DTHCIV tuning procedure in the Hub admin is critical to do before your first series of tests.

Its important to do things in the right sequence because you can blow consumables by just loading a file and hitting the run button before you do the dry run and manual cuts.
WinterFabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

I called Hypertherm Tech Support. Just to clarify things incase anyone else is following, the blinking LED that you need to count is on the inside of the unit.

I ended up dropping it off at a local welding supply place so it can be sent off for warranty repair.

Matt
CandCNC Ethercut
Precision Plasma Gantry
Hypertherm Powermax 45

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”