4 Star Elite Contributing Member

PowerMax 85 Error Code

Post by steelfx »

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help me figure this out:

I'm getting the Error Code: 0-30, which is: "Consumables Stuck"

PowerMax 85 (Approx. 14 Mos. Old)
Machine Torch
Operating Air: 77 p.s.i./5.3 Bar (dry, clean), Incoming Pressure at Regulator: 135 p.s.i.
Amps: 40 (cutting 18awg MS)
Shielded/Fine-Cut
Hypertherm® Consumables_Powermax 85.jpg
Error first showed up on a set of consumables that had been cutting for 4-5 hours.
All holes in Retaining Cap and Swirl Ring are clear.

I changed out all consumables to brand new and still get the code. Also tried un-shielded and
got the same error code.
Torch pierces and cuts one line of G-Code, then "faults" on the second G23.

Tried two new, complete sets of consumables, including New Swirl Ring. No improvement.
Changed out Electrode to 'Copper Plus'. No Change/Same Error Code.

When I disassembled the old consumables, nothing looked out of the ordinary,
but I replaced all except the retaining cap, as my welding store was out of stock.
Everything looked perfectly normal, although the Swirl Ring felt a little tight at the top bevel.
Removed Torch Body from Gantry Mount & inspected inside. Didn't see anything that looked abnormal.

On G23, Torch spits a little air, but doesn't make arc. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PowerMax 85 Error Code

Post by acourtjester »

HI Bill
I'm not an expert but Googling G23 it seems like that is a command used for Milling, What post processor are you using?
If my memory is correct the "copper Plus" is not for fine cut use.

(G22/G23 (Safety Zone Programming) or (Stored Stroke Limit) can be set as Follows
Milling
G22 X Y Z I J K
G22 X Y Z are the coordinates of the Corner Closest to Machine Home where I J and K respectively, the farthest Coordinates. All measurement are set from the Machine Zero Position.
Once G22 is set ant attempt to penetrate this Box Area will trigger an Alarm and the Machine will Stop. The Operator will then have to Manually Move the Violating Axis Exactly Opposite of the Offending Motion.)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Thank you. I'll look into those things.
Bill
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Got it. Thanks!
Bill
pitbumpers
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by pitbumpers »

Bill did you find out what was wrong? if so what was it?
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Nope, not yet. I still get a 0-30 (Dirty Consumables) Fault Code on 1 out of 3 pierces. Even with brand new consumables.
I've come up with a theory, though...I'm going to move my Air Compressor closer to the Hypertherm Unit. I have a 7.5hp 80-Gallon Compressor, but I think it's too far away. (Roughly 100' with 1/2" supply line at almost 130'). My shop is 6k sf, and my Plasma Table is at the opposite end of the building from the air compressor, which I installed 2 years before I got my new table.
I'm not getting ANY pressure drop at the Hypertherm inlet, it stays stable at 77 p.s.i., (130 p.s.i. in, regulated down to 77 p.s.i. per cut chart specs), but I don't know what else it could be at this point.
I have to clear the fault code every few minutes to keep cutting. My old Powermax 1000 never gave me any trouble at all. This new P-85 seems a bit fussy. It's gotta be a cfm/p.s.i. thing. ( i hope ).
There's a phenomena in fluid systems called, "line loss", a.k.a. "friction loss", but I don't know if that's true with compressed air.
I suspect it is, though.
Bill
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Yes, line loss can be a problem on compressed air. If you run your air lines in a continuous loop around your shop and connect both ends back at the compressor it will help. That way everything is feeding from both ends.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

That's a good idea! Thanks!
Bill
:)
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Bill, where are you getting the recommendation to regulate the air to 77psi? The manual for the PM85 recommends 85-135 psi at the inlet while air is flowing. The machine will regulate the air flowing at the torch for the process (unless that's what you're talking about being at 77 psi)

A worn swirl ring can certainly cause that but it sounds like you've already changed that. Also good to try loosening the retaining cap a bit as over-tightening will cause the 0-30 as well.
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Hi Robert,

Yes, I have 130 psi coming into the Regulator/Water Sep./Gauge that I mounted on the back of the Hypertherm 85.
The 77psi I referred to is the the step-down psi into the plasma generator and on into the machine torch. 5.3 bar, I think.

I watch the gauge on my Wall-Mounted Regulator/Dessicant Dryer/Oil-Water Separator, and it never drops below 140psi.
The only demand on my compressor is the plasma cutter. So, 15psi output from the compressor, pressurizing 130' of air line
is only dropping 10#, which I think is very good.

My compressor maxes out at 150 psi, so I just raised it to max, (it was at 140psi), adjusted my 2 inline Regulators to 145 and maintained 130 psi at the Hypertherm connection. || update: later in the evening, raised it to 135psi) ||
That actually may be counter-productive as I've seen a lot of charts and data that shows CFM rising with lower P.S.I. settings.
I can't really wrap my brain around that. But, I don't think CFM comes into play with plasma-cutting, at least not like proper PSI does.

I'm gonna do some test cutting yet tonight. If it goes like it did yesterday, ruining 2-4X8 sheets of 7AWG, I will be moving my compressor or adding a 2nd one.

btw...i'm using FC consumables, even though I'm pretty sure the Cut Charts don't show 7AWG or 3/16", but I've successfully cut 100's of 1,000's of inches this way on my last Dynatorch. (45A/60IPM gives me almost Zero Dross)

Some of the railing panels I do have fairly fine detail, so going to 65Amp consumables is a last resort.

I did TRY 65Amp Shielded yesterday, out of desperation, but it didn't help the continual Error Code of 0-30. The machine torch has less than 50 hrs. on it, so I really hesitate to dismount and dissect, looking for a speck of dirt or smokey residue. Whenever I take something that complex apart, I nearly always have parts left over! haha!

I've gotta get me a pair of yellow-lens shooting glasses, so I can read the LCD panel on the Hypertherm, too. It sits about 6' from my computer that runs the CNC. My 66 yr. old eyes are going south on me. I've gotta get real close, using my tri-focals to read the LCD panel.

Bill
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I figured that was the reading you were talking about but every time I assume something I'm wrong so I asked! :-)

If you are maintaining a pressure of 90-120 at the back of the plasma while the torch is flowing air then you have plenty of air in both volume and pressure. Moisture or oil in the air can certainly cause the 0-30 but you'd probably see evidence of that in the consumables plus out west and this time of year I wouldn't think that would be it.

I personally use 45 amp consumables (at 45 amps and best quality book speed) on 3/16 and it makes beautiful dross free cuts. That doesn't solve any particular problem, just I find that my cut quality is great using the recommended process. I do use Fine Cut on aluminum which is not in the book lol

Let's narrow down which 0-30 fault you have - open the service screen by pressing the auto/manual and current/gas buttons down for about 2 seconds. The bottom 3 lines are fault code history reading top to bottom, left to right. It will either be 0-30-0 Stuck Open or 0-30-1 Stuck Closed.
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

I will check that. Thanks for the tip!
Bill
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Code 0-30-1 is torch stuck closed Here is what I had from hypertherm on it and I wound up having to get a new valve which was a couple hundred bucks, looked like oil from the air compressor got in it and overtime killed it
troubleshoot.jpg
troubleshoot2.jpg
So 0-30-1 is torch stuck closed. Let’s check and see if the valve is working. In the service screen at the top left hand corner you have a * push the right hand button until the * is between the G and 0 then turn the current knob up until you get G1 then you should see P 75/75 if the valve is working.

New valve:
https://www.bakersgas.com/HYP228687.html

steelfx

Post by steelfx »

"Let’s check and see if the valve is working. In the service screen at the top left hand corner you have a * push the right hand button until the * is between the G and 0 then turn the current knob up until you get G1 then you should see P 75/75 if the valve is working."

I performed this test (about a hundred times in the last 2 days), I see P 78/77, which is normal, I think.
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Does the purge air turn on and off when performing the test?
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Yes, it does. It purges consistently until I dial back the Voltage Knob.
Hypertherm told me there should be a short series of clicks from within the plasma gen. when the purge air stops. I don't hear any clicking, though.
I changed consumables at least 5X last night, re-wired my ohmic connection to the torch (unrelated to 0-30 code), and tried a few different, subtle changes in the THC settings, e.g. 'downforce', plasma start height, pierce height, pierce delay, time to cut height...but none of those 'tweaks' made any difference.
Also removed an AirGuard Coalescing Filter from my Air System, thinking it might be restrictive. Made no difference.
I'm out of ideas, at least for the moment.
Will try a few things later today...
Thanks!
Bill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I may be way off base with this but the 65 manual I have shows a 0-30 error with one solution of loose consumables. There is a switch inside the torch shown in the attached image that could cause an intermittent problem.
DSCN1660 A.jpg

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Would that be a loose switch or would it need to be replaced? Thanks for the photo! That helps a lot!
Bill
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Which 0-30 error did the service display show? 0-30-0 or 0-30-1 ?
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

I haven't been to my shop yet today. I won't know until I check it out on Monday. I'm anxious to find out, though.
Bill
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Finally cutting! Question about Swirl Rings. Nomenclature doesn't match in the Cut Chart vs. the Decal on the Plasma Gen. Are the 2 Swirl Rings interchangeable?
Bill
p.s. I'm using this Swirl Ring: # 220857. The 3-Piece 'Tree' cut had a ton of pierces and the whole thing cut w/o one fault code or problem.
Finally!
bw
SUCCESSFUL CUT.jpg
SWIRL RING-PM85-INTERCHANGEABLE.jpg

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Weird that it would have the 220994 - that's the 105 amp swirl ring....

I use the 220857 for everything on my Powermax 65.
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

The Cut Chart I had on my PC was dated 2014. There might be a newer one on the Hypertherm website. I'll check it out. I got to wondering if all my issues were related to the Swirl Ring being the wrong one. But since I'm cutting well now, I seriously doubt it. I have the same Swirl Ring in my Hand Torch, as well.
For the time being though, I can't use FC consumables on 7AWG. And, that's okay. The regular 45A nozzle did just fine.
Bill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The 65 manual (Duramax torch) I have shows all using the 220857 (swirl ring 65/85 A), with the exception of hand torch fine cut to be 220947
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “0-30 Fault Code”