PlasmaCam Pricing Not Complete

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

PlasmaCam Pricing Not Complete

Post by Merica_Metal »

I'm a bit confused on the pricing of the PlasmaCam unit. I called and asked about a 4x4 table and they quoted me $7980.00 + shipping. Then I read I have to get all of these "extra" software packages to really do anything. Can anyone tell me what a fully complete unit cost? :roll:
2017 Shop Sabre SideKick 4
Upgrades: Marker/Plotter, Laser sights, Engraver
Hypertherm PM65
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: PlasmaCam Pricing

Post by icmplasma85 »

Right around 15K will get you a 4x4 table, a Hypertherm plasma cutter, advanced design software, advanced machine control, and most importantly advanced height control. Do yourself a favor and do not buy a Plasmacam (or any table for that matter) without advanced height control (ohmic sensing). If money is tight at first you can do without the design and machine control upgrades, but you gotta have the advanced HC And don't do what I did and think, ehhh I can get by with the basic HC. You will not be happy with basic.
You will have to constantly zero out your Z axis manually by jogging the torch over to the cut area, lowering the torch shield to the top of the plate, open settings, and zero out the Z shift so that the software recognizes the torches physical location as the top of material. And Plasmacam's ohmic sensing works great. The table itself works great esp paired with a Hypertherm plasma cutter using fine cuts. And the advanced software is as close to perfect for designing and cutting parts and artistic drawings as you can get. Had mine 5 years and it still cuts great, extremely accurate and reliable.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you just ask for a quote for a 4 x 4 machine from Plasmacam....then you will get the price of the machine without the software upgrades. I suggest contacting sales and asking for pricing with each upgrade, and a description of what the upgrades offer. All of the upgrades are software upgrades, and can easily add $5k to the "stripped" machine quote you received.

I have been using a DHC2 4 x 4 from Plasmacam for over 12 years (great machine, excellent software), I have all upgrades except Nesting. I think you will find a properly equipped maxhine in the $12,500 range (no plasma), and worth every penny! Jim Colt
RPM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RPM »

I have a Pcam that I have run for about 8-9 years and it has been good. Running the old 3.1 software which does everything I need it to do, perfectly. Looking at getting the 4x8 and talked to them about it all. Too many hidden cost and sales people are not up front with you at all. I can't run the software I have on a new machine. They won't sell me a new controller if I need one. Just putting this machine out of business. The new software only works with one computer, each additional seat as they call them is about another $1000.00. Check some of the horror stories of the new software. They are spending more time with software issues than they are making parts.

I won't be buying another Pcam, their greed will put them out of business. I am probably going to but a Trucut.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

There's plenty of comparable or better machines at 1/2 the cost of a loaded Plasmacam. I paid $6k for my 4x8 setup, and it does everything the Plasmacam machines does, without the concerns about bearing needing adjustment or wearing out from running up and down a painted steel tube.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I for one (a 12 year owner of a DHC2 Plasmacam) will disagree with you. I would agree that there are machines priced similarly to a Plasmacam that are built heavier duty than a Plasmacam, however the Plasmacam's integrated software (when the upgrades are purchased) are hard to beat. The CAD is not universal, it is designed for plasma cutting. The CAM is seamless....simply convert the CAD into a cut path and it is instantly done. The height control is almost transparent.....no arc voltage setting and auto calibration for consumable wear and speed changes.

I have all of the original bearings on my Plasmacam and there are no "bearing adjustments"....so I suspect Bobkovacs may not have used a Plasmacam!

In a perfect world I would get the Plasmacam software and height control on a heavy duty machine that was ready to cut (fume control included) with servo drives and at the same (or lower) price. Unfortunately that does not exist.

Just to mention, I have owned or built over 8 cnc plasma cutting machines over the last 30 years. I currently have 3 machines (3 different brands) in my home shop. All work well, each has its advantages and disadvantages. It is nice having so many choices!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Bobkovacs wrote:There's plenty of comparable or better machines at 1/2 the cost of a loaded Plasmacam. I paid $6k for my 4x8 setup, and it does everything the Plasmacam machines does, without the concerns about bearing needing adjustment or wearing out from running up and down a painted steel tube.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

jimcolt wrote:The height control is almost transparent.....no arc voltage setting and auto calibration for consumable wear and speed changes.
I'm quite happy with my Linux/CommandCNC setup, but this part...this makes me jealous.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I'm with Jim. The CAD/CAM being the same program with near seamless work back and forth is a huge plus. I cut 3/4 plate on my 5x10 so I'm not sure how much more 'heavy duty' I'd want it... lol I've seen some beautiful machines with open source stuff and will probably build a CNC router with that technology but I'll pay for it with revenue from the Pcam. :-) I'll echo the little to no maintenance troubles either.

Oh, and yes the CAM part of their software is pretty limited to plasma but I use the CAD to design many files for laser cutting with my co2 laser. With a kerf of .004" I'm designing a lot smaller details than plasma can produce with no problems.
stones
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by stones »

Interesting read. I have been looking for a table and finally made the call to Plasmacam and was informed that a 4 X 4 table with all the upgrades available (along with the advanced DesignEdge software) was 12k out the door. it seemed like a pretty normal sales pitch until I started asking about technical support. The sales guy also was pushing for a "money down right now today" spill, that seemed kinda sketchy to me. Anyone else had this happen? is this pitch normal practice for them?
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

There are arguments both ways on having an all-in-one design and cut (kinda like a Flat screen HDTV with built in microwave oven and popcorn dispenser) versus three different compatible pieces. If drop dead simple is what you want then the all-in-can be a good choice. If flexibility and more options and being able to pick and choose features sounds appealing, then you have to look at an unbundled option. It depends on what you do. If you cut brackets and mechanical parts you are not interested in a lot of the features you can get with a drawing program versus pure CAD. Things like being able to go out and harvest quality vector clipart and decorative lettering (not Fonts) from places like www.VectorArt.com. The commercial sign guys know that vector formats like AI, EPS and CDR are a standard. Being able to take designs, do fills (even in colors and with shading) to use to build a proof of concept on a complex and expensive custom design has value . Having a CAM program that lets you modify a POST or do mixed cuts is nice. For some of you brave guys with a mixed use table, being able to switch to something like VCarve Pro or Aspire requires you change out the Drawing and CAM as well. There is fear and doubt in learning new stuff and anything that appears to make it easier is interesting but with simplicity comes restrictions. Much like training wheels on a motorcycle its easier but not a long term solution for more advanced users.
krymis
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by krymis »

I think with all my upgrades i was at $22,000. I got all the needed upgrade software including the nesting, the router, the air scribe, hypertherm PM65, the snap cut break away mount, the machine torch, the divider board, conveyor table, and HF air dryer.
punkin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by punkin »

does anyone know if plasma cam charges to transfer ownership of the software license?

i’m curious to know the cost of license transfer, as well as purchasing an additional seat for working in designing on a separate computer.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

No cost to transfer. Assuming software is current version an extra seat is 500 for the first one. They get cheaper if you need more.
punkin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by punkin »

Excellent information, thank you!
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

does anyone know if plasma cam charges to transfer ownership of the software license?
I don't think they charge you to transfer the user license but they will not offer support to the second owner of the table and software. At least that is what they told me when I was shopping 5 years ago. I asked them why or if there was a support subscription fee and they said no, they were in the business to sell new tables and software. I think there is a user forum for Plasmacam users only somewhere. I decided to go another route.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

There is a great forum at the owner's community. There are a couple Facebook groups that are easy to find with a search. I'm also putting together regional training seminars that will begin this September.

As far as support for second owners, yes to my knowledge as long as you're running version 4.44 software you will get the same assistance as any other owner. They no longer support the old verison 3.11
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

I bought a 4x4 Plasmacam in 06, had it for 4 years and went to a Samson 5x10 in 2010 and I'm still running it...lots of hours. I've not had any problems with tech support and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. VERY user friendly.

Allen
Coastalirondesign
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Coastalirondesign »

Anybody interested in a plasmacam 4x4 dhc2 with all software upgrades except 3d. Includes pipe cutting attachment, powermax45xp,
And 2 seats of software? Bought new in 2012
Kowbell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kowbell »

I am interested in your plasmacam how do I contact you
HowardF
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by HowardF »

If Kowbell does not purchase your plasmacam, please let me know. I am interested as well. Thanks!
Adamvale89
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Adamvale89 »

I would save my money and buy a cheaper system that makes better cuts. You have very little z axis height to add engraver/routers/drills to it and also to retract and avoid crashes on rapids with whatever tool you decide to use on it
We unfortunately bought a plasma cam because of the brand and have had no luck with it. There are 2 more at shops within driving distance and they say the same thing. Matter of fact they both have other tables that they use and the plasma cam just sits there which sounds like the smart decision. Wish we had done that but instead we bought the upgrade for 7k hoping it would help but no luck, just made it worse so now the z axis doesnt work at all and the table was unusable for a month before that while we were mailing it back and forth. Yes you have to send your old in before they ever send the new. Z axis never worked since we got the new upgrade except for maybe 3 or 4 hours total after fighting with it. (with error coming up quite often requiring a restart) no manual with the upgrade to go by and plasma cam doesnt stand behind their products so now we are even worse off after spending the $7000 on the upgrade. We tried to get our old system back but no luck there either. Getting manuals are a PITA and with the z axis problems we went from crappy but working height control to having to move the height by hand. Dont get me wrong, it cuts but for the $20,000 we have in it we should be getting much more repeatable and acurate and automated cuts. The software is a nightmare for more complex parts and about $2000-$3000 of that price is for the software. Much better to use a different cad and cam system that gives you more options for cheaper price. It is nice for the simple stuff but then it limits your lead in/outs, speed on smaller holes, not a very user friendly tool library for fully automated use. I could go on but I will tell you plasma cam has got the last dime from me. Save yourself some money and headache and go with a light industrial table with steppers or spend a little more and get a torchmate. The servos are only as accurate as the setup they are on and plasma cam is not very sturdy setup. Anyone that tells you they are accurate hasnt seen some of the other tables.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

The software isn't close to a nightmare. It is easier and better than most in the industry.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

Adamvale89 wrote:I would save my money and buy a cheaper system that makes better cuts. Save yourself some money and headache and go with a light industrial table with steppers or spend a little more and get a torchmate. The servos are only as accurate as the setup they are on and plasma cam is not very sturdy setup. Anyone that tells you they are accurate hasnt seen some of the other tables.
You have absolutely got to be kidding.. Right? Torchmate with steppers??? There's a bunch of good tables out there but IMO you struck out on that one.. :roll:
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
see&see

Post by see&see »

Adamvale89 Since you claim to own and use a PlasmaCam table are you a member over on the PlasmaCam forum?
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Adamvale89,
I find what you say VERY HARD TO BELIEVE! My wife runs our Pcam and when we bought it she didn't even know how to use a computer. Yes, it was a long hard road but she's pretty darn good at it now. They are very user friendly.

Also, listen to Jim Colt. You can take what he says to the bank!

Allen

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”