wiring a td cutmaster 60i to dhc2

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
mike66
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

wiring a td cutmaster 60i to dhc2

Post by mike66 »

Was wondering if anyone knows how to wire a thermal dynamics cutmaster 60i to a dhc2 . I posted on the plasmacam owners page and didn't get anything. I lost my video manual long ago , but with the 60i being a new machine ,I wonder how much help it would have been. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Mike
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: wiring a td cutmaster 60i to dhc2

Post by rdj357 »

I replied to you on the owner community by attaching the manual for your plasma cutter which includes a full wiring diagram for your cutter. I asked if that helped or if you needed step by step wiring and you did not reply.
mike66
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mike66 »

Thank you Robert ,I will go check that message. You have been more than helpful with my wiring issues and my new 60i should be in next week.

Thank you,
Mike
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Hmmm, I got your private message so I went to look at the owner community and searched my posts. I can't find the post I made so I guess it didn't go through!! Sorry!

See the attached manual for your 60i. At the back there are wiring diagrams.

I have to assume you're using a hand torch as you've not stated otherwise.

The trigger wire is post #3 in the torch plug. According to the schematic it is a white wire. This is the wire you'd cut and splice the black and white wires from the torch control cable in series with. (Then of course zip tie the trigger of the hand torch on.

The raw arc voltage terminals look to be labeled TIP and WORK. the larger black and red wires from the torch control cable go to these. Red to TIP, Black to WORK.
mike66
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mike66 »

Thank you Robert , that was what I was looking for . Many thanks.

Mike
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

There is zero reason to splice into the trigger wires on a Thermal Dynamics hand torch.. Just use the correct terminals inside the machine.. For arc voltage have to wire into the work, and torch lead terminals. I am guessing only 4 wires on a Plasmacam.. It's not like the Victor 52-152.A series units where there is a tap for full arc voltage hookup..Looks like Harness J609 for your Torch contactor located on Pins #3-#4 I would also guess if you hold the trigger down on boot-up it will throw a code. Main thing is all hand, torches will fire from the pins or when the contactor is closed inside the machine.. No torch lock out like a Hypertherm.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I did see that it looked like TD used the same pins for trigger with either the hand or machine torch but didn't want or need to make any assumptions. If he wants to buy or has the CNC plug he can figure that out.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The problem with the 60i is that there is no CNC interface available yet... If you tap into the place where it goes, then you could at least get the trigger wires hooked up, and not have to modify the machine in case of warranty work..

I am probably going to pick one up down the road to go with my 45XP.. Have all the CandCNC stuff to hook up the digital arc good, and arc voltage stuff
I also have the SL-100 SV machine torch, and lots of consumables for it too.. I believe it will be a bit easier to use on extreme thicknesses because of the .1900 cut height. Probably a bit better on 1.00 ms with the extra arc length . (IMO) Much easier to dial in my THC to hold it . I like running both brands of machines because both have sweet spots.. 45XP is a real nice unit in it's own right..I can get a 60i for about $500 less then I paid for my 45XP
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Good info. I doubt there would be any warranty issue with a patched in trigger wire but I certainly don't run that department for TD! :-)

As far as cut quality and application, I am certainly impressed with what I've seen and heard from 45XP owners. I have a PM65 that does all I need it to do. As far as height control, the PlasmaCAM fully upgraded height control makes all that a breeze so I'm personally happy with the one machine to do all my work using different consumables and amperages.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

It's just when you are pushing the 45XP to the limit it's sort of a pain in the butt with the low cut height. 65 amps on the 65 would work much better overall.. Not saying cutting 1 inch on a 45XP is impossible but not ideal. knew that when i sold my 65 or other larger Thermals..I Have gas machine torch that is much better suited for the thick stuff anyway.. Way less issues then an single phase/ air cooled plasma cutter on things above, and around 1 inch thick. (IMO) 45xp cut quality below.. By the way the gas torch runs at the same speed as the 85 amp cutter on 1 inch.. Being able to cut 2 and above just about perfect on a home based cnc machine speaks highly of the ability of the O/2---O/P setup.. :mrgreen:

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

pgilley
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pgilley »

Brand X wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:23 pm There is zero reason to splice into the trigger wires on a Thermal Dynamics hand torch.. Just use the correct terminals inside the machine.. For arc voltage have to wire into the work, and torch lead terminals. I am guessing only 4 wires on a Plasmacam.. It's not like the Victor 52-152.A series units where there is a tap for full arc voltage hookup..Looks like Harness J609 for your Torch contactor located on Pins #3-#4 I would also guess if you hold the trigger down on boot-up it will throw a code. Main thing is all hand, torches will fire from the pins or when the contactor is closed inside the machine.. No torch lock out like a Hypertherm.
I see no numbering on the J609 connector. It appears there are 18 terminals on J609 connector. Anyone have a diagram showing actual location of #3 and #4 terminals ? Would like to connect trigger wires for cnc table.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Posted this to your other topic in the TD/Esab forum. Hope it helps.
J609.PNG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”